High End Vacuum Tubes
NIGHT'SCHILD
6th October 2004
Old 6th October 2004
Gear nut

High End Vacuum Tubes

I found a place in my hometown that sales "high-end" vacuum tubes. I of course have some of pieces of gear that utilize vacuum tubes and I was hoping somebody out there can give me ideas on how effective better tubes can be in gear.

This company is called Antique Electronic Supply maybe somebody has had some experience with them. They carry Telefunken "smooth plates" and Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7's. One of the salesman there said these were the best 12AX7's ever made. Is this true?

How much of a difference can a $70 tube make? Should I get something current production?
6th October 2004
Old 6th October 2004
Gear addict

I'm a bit of a tube nut and I have some experence with
the tubes you mention, both are very clean and HI-Fi sounding.
I don't like them much in guitar amps, a little to clean for my tastes, but both high quility tubes.
I would think they would be very good in pre-amps or other audio equipment.
It really depends on the gear.
NIGHT'SCHILD
6th October 2004
Old 6th October 2004
Gear nut

I am looking for the bottom end warmth a good tube can deliver. I can't say I want a totally clean sound but something with nice coloration to add to my audio signal. I have a Brauner Phantom C which is great but it needs a bit more warmth. I will be running the Phantom through my dBx 386. Any suggestions for warmth.
6th October 2004
Old 6th October 2004
Gear interested

Re: High End Vacuum Tubes

Quote:
Originally posted by NIGHT'SCHILD

This company is called Antique Electronic Supply maybe somebody has had some experience with them. They carry Telefunken "smooth plates" and Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7's. One of the salesman there said these were the best 12AX7's ever made. Is this true?

How much of a difference can a $70 tube make? Should I get something current production?
Yes, tubes make a huge difference, but like anything there is no "best." For HI FIs, pre amps and compressors the NOS (new old stock) tubes are usually WAY better, yet you need to get to know the various brands and their sounds.

That dealer was good to me, as was www.tubeworld.com

New tubes like the Elecro Harmonix EL84s and a few of the Sovtek AX7s and JJ's for guitar amps sound good (read: probably poor specs on paper but good midrange and warmth or grit) . Recifyer tubes, however, are simply not made worth a damn anymore and NOS is a must.

As for the brands ... Phillips, RCA, Telefunken, Mullard, etc. All have a real value if you can hear it and need it. Buy not for the "best" but for what you want to hear ... a good dealer should be able to talk you through the tones of various brands.
6th October 2004
Old 6th October 2004
Gear addict

Night'schild,
I bought a DBX tube pre + comp, the silver series,
I call it the fuzzbox-nightlite combo.
I got sucked in because it had a TUBE !!.
Anyway later I bought a nice Manley tube pre
and it sounded MUCH better.
I can't remember the number of the silver series but if that's
the one you have you might want to save up for a nice pre
and forget the tube swap thing.
If that's not the case I will SHUT UP and wish you luck.

Jack
6th October 2004
Old 6th October 2004
Gear addict

Re: Re: High End Vacuum Tubes

Quote:
Originally posted by Timeless
Recifyer tubes, however, are simply not made worth a damn anymore and NOS is a must.

So true!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search