Subscribe
17th June 2008
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitfiend View Post
venture what you like.

Real Traps are incredible, if it's in your budget, definitely get them! You also may want to look into diffusion as well.
I Have a very nice treated control room thank you, and I'm not slagging the barefoots, but I think the focals are excellent speakers, and I stand by what I said before, if you can't mix on them you can't mix
17th June 2008
Old 17th June 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
Because the Twins are that good! They beg to be compared to monitors twice or even three times their price.

Regards,
Bruce
Holy Shite, right, that's it for me lads. i'm going back to the pool........
17th June 2008
Old 17th June 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I Have a very nice treated control room thank you, and I'm not slagging the barefoots, but I think the focals are excellent speakers, and I stand by what I said before, if you can't mix on them you can't mix
damn, guess i can't mix then......oh well, guess i'll have to go back to underwaterbasketweaving.......sigh...
17th June 2008
Old 17th June 2008
Pragmatic Snob

Quote:
seriously you're proving my point.....the truest representation of the music with the highest transparency is what the 2 brands i mentioned bring to the table NOT focals.

barefoots sound absolutely nothing like westlakes, which means they can't both be bringing 'highest transparency'.

to my ears, barefoots have a definite sound, and it involves a big old bump at 40hz, some scoop around 800, and a little shine at 12k. focals got their bumps and scoops too, every monitor i've ever used does.

i just spent an afternoon in a room with barefoots, twins, pelonis, griffins, dyns, mackies, and atc's, half of which i already had experience with. listened with 6 other engineers, 2 acousticians, and a speaker designer, switching with a calibrated dangerous switcher.

all agreed: no such thing as a truth box. each one gives you an angle; no angle is inherently superior, it has to jibe with the operator.

pick the angle that works for you, and get to work.

gregoire
del
ubk

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher
17th June 2008
Old 17th June 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
barefoots sound absolutely nothing like westlakes, which means they can't both be bringing 'highest transparency'.
where did i EVER say they "sound" alike????? and HELL YES they can both be more transparent than focals (wording on that doesn't sound right).
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i just spent an afternoon in a room with barefoots, twins, pelonis, griffins, dyns, mackies, and atc's, half of which i already had experience with. listened with 6 other engineers, 2 acousticians, and a speaker designer, switching with a calibrated dangerous switcher.
all agreed: no such thing as a truth box. each one gives you an angle; no angle is inherently superior, it has to jibe with the operator.
well, we'll have to agree to disagree then. Barefoots stand head and shoulders above what you've mentioned. we did the same thing with adams, focals, gen's, barefoots and k&h, and the barefoots tested the best and the focals the worst.
17th June 2008
Old 17th June 2008
Pragmatic Snob

Quote:
where did i EVER say they "sound" alike?????

maybe i'm having a conceptual difficulty, but if two things are transparently recreating a source, they should sound roughly identical, i.e., they should sound like the source.

so if two monitors are giving me two sounds, they can't both be transparent; at least one has some coloration.

when you say "these tested best" and "these tested worse", i'm taking that to mean "we liked these best" and "we liked these least".

gregoire
del
ubk
18th June 2008
Old 18th June 2008
Lives for gear

This is hilarious!!

Do you guys ever get any work done?

I mean that lovingly, of course

www.djamesgoodwin.com

**religion kills**

**Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he does good not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it.** - Mikhail Bakunin
18th June 2008
Old 18th June 2008
Lives for gear

The Idea that one is objectively better than the other is crazy. It depends what your response the speaker is. A better sounding speaker may cause you to work in a way that doesn't suite what you are trying to achieve. A shitty sounding speaker may be just the ticket if you end up producing things that work well. With myself for example, I work really well with beryllium and not as well with silk dome tweeters. It really depends on what the speaker brings out in you.

For pure listening, well thats different then.

Ditch your Ipod with its ear buds and get a Lavry gold DA and a B&W nautilus!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search