Herman Miller Aeron Chair Killer... say hello to Kimball SKYE !!!!
Old 20th May 2008
Lives for gear

Herman Miller Aeron Chair Killer... say hello to Kimball SKYE !!!!

Just got back from demoing all the Herman Miller Chairs... Aeron, Celle, and Mirra. I haven't sat in an Aeron in years and didn't remember the experience that well. Well we were less than impressed with the whole line.

Then we checked out the Kimball SKYE.

Now THIS is a nice CHAIR !!!

Feature for feature, looks, comfort, BUTT cushioning... we really liked it a lot more than the HM. And a LOT more solid feeling. Not nearly as "cheap" feeling as the Aeron, in our humble opinion.

Anyway - just wanted to report to all.. if you are in the market for high end chairs, you owe it to yourself to check out the Kimball SKYE.
Old 21st May 2008
Prices?

The chairs at my studio are the weakest link in our signal path...
Old 21st May 2008
l like that Kimball SKYE chair!

Just bought a Swopper chair to complement my Aeron:

Uses an old VW shock-coil; great for playing guitar- it literally Rocks!
Old 21st May 2008
Gear maniac

We've got a Herman Miller Mirra in our studio and it's awesome! Skye looks okay....

--> freddie
Old 21st May 2008
Gear nut

My company has the Aeron chairs for everyone, but after a year I find that they are just better than average (at 10 hours a day).
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Prices?

The SKYE chairs are basically the same price as an entry level Aeron without the tilt lock, adjustable arm rests, etc etc etc... but the SKYE is fully loaded with all the adjustment options, a great, adjustable height lumbar support, a MUCH more comfortable seat, more solid build all around IMO. And they look sleeker, newer and sexier to boot.

Really, we were all surprised at the "audition" of chairs that we didn't like the Aeron, Mirra and Celle. I'm not saying they are a bad chair.. we just liked the SKYE alot better. As always, YBMV (your butt may vary)
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_asakawa View Post

That IS cool !!!
Old 21st May 2008
Gear addict

Quote:

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup I got one of those! I saw Adrian Belew using one on stage too.

Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

I miss the aeron chair everyday I sit in mine. i have had horrible back and carple tunnel since I stopped working at my last studio.

there is a sky chair on here

Clearance Items
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jho View Post
The SKYE chairs are basically the same price as an entry level Aeron without the tilt lock, adjustable arm rests, etc etc etc... but the SKYE is fully loaded with all the adjustment options, a great, adjustable height lumbar support, a MUCH more comfortable seat, more solid build all around IMO. And they look sleeker, newer and sexier to boot.

Really, we were all surprised at the "audition" of chairs that we didn't like the Aeron, Mirra and Celle. I'm not saying they are a bad chair.. we just liked the SKYE alot better. As always, YBMV (your butt may vary)
What you need to do is split the signal of your butt so you can sit in both chairs at the same time, and record the results into each. This will give us an unbiased a vs b test of how each chair sounds being fed the same signal..

oops, wrong thread, sorry..
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
What you need to do is split the signal of your butt so you can sit in both chairs at the same time, and record the results into each. This will give us an unbiased a vs b test of how each chair sounds being fed the same signal..

oops, wrong thread, sorry..
Well it already has a "split" in it... so no splicing will be required.

oops, wrong forum !! lol
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Hmm.

bought a VERY similar mushroomy spring loaded dealie about 6 years ago from relax the back store, paid $620 on it, great chair, used it for a while in the studio but now my GF uses it for art and its great.

it may be a kimball, not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Prices?

Thats very true on a couple'a levels thumbsup
Old 21st May 2008
[QUOTE=thenoiseflower;2063883]bought a VERY similar mushroomy spring loaded dealie about 6 years ago from relax the back store, paid $620 on it, great chair, used it for a while in the studio but now my GF uses it for art and its great.

it may be a kimball, not sure though.

That's the one noiseflower, from Relax the Back (AKA: Relax your Crack)

The model with wheels runs about $800 (yikes) - the wheels lock when you sit down.

I'm gonna wire it to mouse-click when I bounce
Old 21st May 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:

I have a swopper under my ass right now! Just got it at 6pm on a one week demo ... it's fun, like an exercise ball. But I have yet to work a full day or three on it.
Old 21st May 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
I have a swopper under my ass right now! Just got it at 6pm on a one week demo ... it's fun, like an exercise ball. But I have yet to work a full day or three on it.
What's also nice is that it can support two people!!!! ;-)

Old 21st May 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick swifter View Post
What's also nice is that it can support two people!!!! ;-)

Ahaha! A good idea ...
Old 23rd May 2008
Pragmatic Snob

this is probably the one piece of gear that's even more personal than monitors. our bodies differ radically in size, shape, weight distribution, and proportions. moreover, the ways we are misaligned are even more individual, so the kinds of support/correction people need vary pretty widely.

bear that in mind when recommending chairs... the enthusiasm people have when they find a chair that works does the heart good, but what fits you like a glove might fit me like a burlap sack. and what fits you today probably won't in 5 or 10 years, thanks to your friend and mine: gravity.

i'm on the lookout for that crazy northern european design that doesn't even have a seat, it's more of a small cross that the legs slip over and (purportedly) it supports you in an almost-standing position. i swear i saw one in a downtown window, gotta go check it out.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 23rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post

bear that in mind when recommending chairs... blah blah blah

Yeah, whatever ! tutt

Skye rocks tho

Old 23rd May 2008
Gear Guru

sqye for skye...

now if i did the chair, i'd make sure it was perfect for everyone...

Old 23rd May 2008
Gear interested

Anybody found a good place to buy the Kimball SKYE online?
Old 1st July 2009
Gear interested

The "It" Chair -

Yeah,. I remember all the Dot Coms I worked for buying Dozens of Aero Chairs at 1000 bucks a pop-------

They had nop idea the SKye Chair would be soon to come- If you have not sat in the Kimball Office - Skye Chair - You Must!

There is a West Coast Kimball Select Dealer in the L.A. Area
that sold me mine.

These guys even have all the newest LEED Certified Furniture - Check them out.
United Interiors Online Brochure
Old 25th May 2010
Gear interested

Aeron Chair to My Boyfriend

hey...i want to share a moment with u....recently i gifted a Aeron Chair to my bf...he was suffering from Sciatica/ Back Problem from One year (hr is computer engineer)...Now his chair at right adjusment and no more physical problem.Coooooooooool na u know now he is enjoying his work.
I purchased my chair from Aeron Chair its really trustable & good quality chairs.
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

A high quality chair is worth the investment. After I first sitting in a HM chair I purchased 6 for my office. My employees really like having their own chairs that they can take some time to adjust for themselves. They also feel cared for by their boss.

I special ordered a HM chair without the arm rests that I use to sit in and play my guitar.

I looked up the Swoper chair and that looks like something that I would like to try out.
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
this is probably the one piece of gear that's even more personal than monitors. our bodies differ radically in size, shape, weight distribution, and proportions. moreover, the ways we are misaligned are even more individual, so the kinds of support/correction people need vary pretty widely.

bear that in mind when recommending chairs... the enthusiasm people have when they find a chair that works does the heart good, but what fits you like a glove might fit me like a burlap sack. and what fits you today probably won't in 5 or 10 years, thanks to your friend and mine: gravity.
Damn right. And understanding how to adjust any chair to a proper sitting position is a big factor too...
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear
Check this out....

We are driving around town on bulk trash day....and we find three of these

Steelcase Leap Chair - Fabric out on the curb, In

Perfect condition.
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

This is unprecedented. I had to build it myself, though.

Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

UBK I think you might be talking about the Salli Saddle Chair. Yes it is great for ones back.
I did a review of it and posted it to GS I believe.

Old 25th May 2010
Baz
Lives for gear

Saddle Chair

YouTube - Salli Saddle Chair at work

That Skye looks cheap (in build) to me and for the very limited info I could find online, the prices were way high.Meh. I'll stick with HM.
Old 25th May 2010
Gear nut

Ergonomic chair

I think this is what UBK is describing

Its called ERGO/REH and can be ordered from HERE. Webshop is in Denmark.

Those chairs are actually pretty awesome and after you've the mental line and accepted that it is a chair they're in a league of their own.

/K
Attached Thumbnails
Herman Miller Aeron Chair Killer... say hello to Kimball SKYE !!!!-ergo-reh-20with-20girl.jpg  

Last edited by K Bartos; 25th May 2010 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: typo
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search