Prism Orpheus
New Reply
Subscribe
gtr123
25th April 2008
Old 25th April 2008
Gear maniac

Prism Orpheus

I took delivery of my new Prism Orpheus a couple days ago. I must say Prism has done an incredible job with this unit. The drivers are rock solid on my Windows XP based AMD Athlon dual core system. I was running a Lavry Blue 2 ch A/D and Benchmark DAC-1 through a MOTU 828 MK2 and CPU load has dropped significantly at equal buffer settings with the Prism Orpheus on all my Cubase 4.13 projects.

The converters are truly top notch, really, very very nice!! I had just a couple minutes last night so I through up a pair of Josephson C42's on an ORTF config about 4 feet from the drum kit in my room and had my drummer record a couple short passes. One was recorded through the built-in Prism Orpheus pre's through the Prism converters. The other pass was done with the exact same mic setup, but through Millennia HV-3 pre's. This was done very quickly so levels are not matched and by no means is it the same performance. So I realize this is very unscientific, but thought I would throw them up so people could get an idea of the Orpheus. If you are going to compare the files you could probably try to match the levels yourself just to be fair to each pre. I was very impressed with the Orpheus mic-pre's! That was a nice surprise because I didn't really purchase it for that!

Here is the link:

Mic Pre's

Jason
25th April 2008
Old 25th April 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Congrats on the Upgrade!
25th April 2008
Old 25th April 2008
Lives for gear

Welcome to the club Jason.

Paul
gtr123
26th April 2008
Old 26th April 2008
Gear maniac

Thanks guys! Did anybody have a chance to check out the sound clips?

Jay
PDC
26th April 2008
Old 26th April 2008
PDC
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

They don't sound matched to me, so it is hard to say. I prefer the Millenia things being what they are.
gtr123
26th April 2008
Old 26th April 2008
Gear maniac

Like I stated in the original post...the levels are not matched...i did these samples VERY fast. If you want to compare them would be well worth adjusting the levels.

Jay
26th April 2008
Old 26th April 2008
Gear addict

I would like to see forums,tutorials for the Orpheus. Anyone knows if there are any plans yet for it?
26th April 2008
Old 26th April 2008
Gear maniac

Hi Jason,

Congratulations. Im curious to know how the Lavry and Orpheus differentiate sonically.
26th April 2008
Old 26th April 2008
Gear nut

Welcome to the club!
26th April 2008
Old 26th April 2008
Gear addict

The fact is I'm owning a prism sound orpheus since a couple of days.
But I still running to ''a lot '' of problems. And I've read the manual several times, till it's gave mea head-exposion .

I'm going to write down a revieuw soon for the things which I already discovered!

But i was wondering if there would come forum for specific trouble-shooting and good video-tutorial material on a youtube channel or something from prismsound itself.

keep you updated guy's!
gtr123
26th April 2008
Old 26th April 2008
Gear maniac

I personally have never had anything implement so easily and smoothly into my system as the Orpheus. It was up and running in about 2 minutes and has given me no issues. I am going to be recording some acoustic guitar and vox tonight and tomorrow with it for a singer/songwriter. Really looking forward to using the A/D tonight a lot more to really get a feeling for the difference between this and the Lavry. On the D/A side of things I hear an improvement over the Benchmark DAC1, which kinda surprised me. I was always very happy with the Benchmark, but hear more depth, detail and separation in the stereo field with the Prism, if that makes any sense.

Jay
27th April 2008
Old 27th April 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr123 View Post
I personally have never had anything implement so easily and smoothly into my system as the Orpheus. It was up and running in about 2 minutes and has given me no issues.
same here. No issues except for a loud speaker 'crack' when going into standby mode. I got it to do this whilst on the phone to Prism - thanks to my info they were able to reproduce the problem in the factory and have already addressed it in a firmware upgrade (might even be up on the site already - will check later).

I had some minor criticisms of the metering (the bleed-through from the lights into
each other - more a cosmetic annoyance than operational) and they had already noted it and working on it.

Fantastic customer support. thumbsup

KD
27th April 2008
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

The problems mentioned above I have experienced too besides a few others. I have spoken to their customer support and they've been exceptional, Andy Saul in particular.

I do still find the mixer a little confusing still at the moment.

I think we should have a single post where Orpheus users mention their little bugs and operational flaws so that Prism can remedy them. There are only a few and it would make the product achieve the 100% goal of being totally the perfect product!

Here are mine:
  • Putting the machine into standby will send loud clicks to main speakers.
  • Easier implementation of standalone mode. i.e Not needing to power down speakers (as what follows next will send spikes), power down front panel then removing power cord, then removing firewire cable, then reconnecting power cord then re-powering up! (sometimes I wish to just turn of my mac and just listen to CD's from my dedicated CD player through it)
  • The urgent need to have a fail safe for control room monitoring default mute function. Anyone who has had the software crash will know what I mean here when you're speakers all of a sudden become full volume. Ouch!!
  • The ability to be able to monitor two or more sets of control room speaker systems. If you assign outputs 3+4 to your nearfields then pressing the VOL button turns them on full volume. If you re-press the VOL button then they'll play at the same time as whatever you have connected to Outputs 1+2 i.e No way to mute individual outputs. Would also be great to have a mono sum feature and possibly for the future a talk back feature making it much closer to the ideal control room monitor.
  • SRC wont stay active. I turn it on in unit settings and whenever I come back to the studio after the Orpheus has been switched off it defaults back to OFF even after saving those settings.
  • Still can't quite figure out the mixer software (but this is almost definitely me to blame here)
  • Metering bleed on front panel (more annoyance than anything else really)

Other than the few basics above this is probably, no it is in fact IS, the best piece of DAW kit I have ever purchased.

Paul
27th April 2008
Old 27th April 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 529 Pro Audio View Post
Often, when my computer has been asleep overnight, the Prism will not output sound when I power it on.
this happened to me just now... the Mac had been on all night though - no sleep mode. But I suspect its because my Time Machine drive is an external FW drive that I plug in when I need to back up. I did this last night - and its the first time I've put something else on the FW bus whilst the Orpheus is connected.

Did my back-up - unplugged the external drive - and this morning, no audio. Had to reboot.

Quote:
Here are mine:
Putting the machine into standby will send loud clicks to main speakers.
this has been fixed... (they were working with Apple on the update installer when I spoke with them Tues/Weds - PC updater is OK).

KD
27th April 2008
Old 27th April 2008
Gear addict

Exacly!!! I've also noticed a couple of issues to. But I was to afraid to post it no I'm kidding. And it's has nothing to do with the fact that these issues, are badly programmed things from the side of Prism Sound. But maybe some things mis-interpateded from my side of vieuw. I will post my issues as soon as Blenn, has solved his problems. Which somethimes has the same problems as what I've got.

But I also would give my opinion in a separed revieuw somewhere, for possitive things which I already noticed so far ( I've got my Orpheus now for a several days). But I don't now where I'm going to put my revieuw it, maybe in a separed thread on it's own.

keep your guys updated, congraits with youre purchase so far!

Should be a very good idea to start a trouble shoot,help-desk, problems thread seperated from this all I'm in!
27th April 2008
Old 27th April 2008
Gear addict

* citaat blenn: Still can't quite figure out the mixer software (but this is almost definitely me to blame here):

I thought that I was the only one!! It's also a bit a lack of intellegents from my side of vieuw I have to admit.

* I'd like the idea of talk back fuction also very much, but not as a replacement of something else. Not as a consession.

* I don't understand exacly what your meaning with your point on the monitoring; The ability to be able to monitor two or more sets of control room speaker systems.

But it's very difficult to set a second monitor set active in the control panel. To be very honest, it was not succesefull so far with my setup for setting up a second set of speakers as another output besides my main monitors.

Blenn, I'm very interested in a special Orpheus help,trouble,issues thread started by you
27th April 2008
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

Some things to add. Changing sample rate will give nasty clicks through your speakers as well.

**Feature request** The volume knob on the front panel has a push in facility. As far as I know this is not assigned to anything. Can we have it assigned to be either a global MUTE or DIM switch for the control room monitoring?

Many thanks

Paul
gtr123
28th April 2008
Old 28th April 2008
Gear maniac

I had a chance to record a singer/songwriter laying down some guide tracks with the Orpheus today and yesterday. I must say I have never had such an easy time dialing in sounds and being truly happy with the outcome! The conversion in the Orpheus is really, really good. My signal chains were:

Acoustic Guitar > Josephson C42 > Millennia HV3 > Buzz Audio Essence > Prism Orpheus

Lead Vox > AT4047 > Great River ME1NV > Buzz Audio Potion > Prism Orpheus

It was truly effortless getting some really nice sounds going. My previous setup was 2 channel Lavry Blue A/D > MOTU 828 (clocked to Lavry). D/A was Benchmark DAC1. I was always very happy with the results I was getting previously, but this just seemed far more effortless to achieve the sounds I wanted to hear..if that makes any sense.

Jay

P.S I am selling the Lavry, Benchmark and MOTU unit, just in case anyone is looking for one of those pieces.
28th April 2008
Old 28th April 2008
Gear interested

I just have one thing to say about this interface, It´s a disaster, at least running with mac.

I have three units in my studio for a couple of months now, and I´m having interminable crashes.

I´m very disappointed with the orpheus.

Sorry for the Prism guys, but this unit is very far away to be a profesional product.

The sound is right, but when running with mac they make a lot of problems, as the Prism guys tell me is about the Audio Units drivers.
gtr123
28th April 2008
Old 28th April 2008
Gear maniac

I have been running it with a Windows XP based AMD Athlon Dual Core system for a few days and it has been rock solid so far. It also ran well on my Intel Centrino Dual Core laptop with no issues.....sorry to hear about your problems with Mac...hope it gets sorted out!

Jay
1st May 2008
Old 1st May 2008
Gear interested

So... I´m afraid that this confirm that my orpheus troubles is about my platform...

Well so I´ll have to wait till they fix this

Please if someone have probles or maybe knows something about how to fix mac troubles with the orpheus please post here.
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Please if someone have probles or maybe knows something about how to fix mac troubles with the orpheus please post here.
working fine here - Mac Pro, 10.5.2, Logic 8.
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear maniac

Please if someone have probles or maybe knows something about how to fix mac troubles with the orpheus please post here.[/QUOTE]

Working fine here; MacBookPro 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, Cubase 4
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

I am about to get one myself. Currently using Fireface800 and Benchmark DAC-1, and hope to replace them with Orpheus. Will be connecting my speakers directly to Orpheus, and I am kinda scared of doing that. I've blown speakers before by doing that. I just want to make sure that doing so with Orpheus is safe even when Windows is BSODing, Nuendo crapping out, etc.

Also, gtr123, how is the D/A compared to Benchmark DAC-1?

Thanks!
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear addict

hn4co; In the control panel of the Orpheus you can select which channels in the output tab, you would like to be 'volumed'. You can click on the 'VOL' button and then that channel would be assigned to the main knop on the front panel of the orpheus. This will give yoy the oppertunity to control you outputs directly (in this case your speakers).

My prob now; I've not been able to hear my 2nd monitoring system while it's been connected correctly by hardware. In XP configuration setup -> sound-> sound and audio-devices I'm only able to select one stereo output; 1,2-3,4 and so on. Not for all outputs (or at least; 1,2-3,4).
I don't have any incomming signal to (which has to do with the mixer tab in the Orpheus control panel).
16th June 2008
Old 16th June 2008
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

8th August 2008
Old 8th August 2008
Gear nut

Prism is highly professional in supporting theirs customers.

Highest score for this company! thumbsup
11th August 2008
Old 11th August 2008
Gear nut

I just bought Prism Sound Orpheus through Sound Tools in UK 3 weeks ago and still waiting for the rest 250£ and receipt.

How pro is that?

Avoid dealing with Andrew Kinsley and his fake Co.

6th July 2009
Old 6th July 2009
Gear interested

Orpheus Clock vs Big Ben?

I am considering purchasing the Orpheus
at some point in the near future.
I was just wondering how the clock
is in the Orpheus. Would it be
unnecessary to also purchase an
Apogee Big Ben as a master clock,
or is the internal clock of the Orpheus
on the same level of quality? Also,
is the Orpheus fire wire 800 or 400 only.
Thank you for your time. wooO!
6th July 2009
Old 6th July 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by WowyWoO View Post
I am considering purchasing the Orpheus
at some point in the near future.
I was just wondering how the clock
is in the Orpheus. Would it be
unnecessary to also purchase an
Apogee Big Ben as a master clock,

or is the internal clock of the Orpheus
on the same level of quality? Also,
is the Orpheus fire wire 800 or 400 only.
Thank you for your time. wooO!
Completely unnecessary. The Prism does not need another external clock! Nope. Never. I think its clock is even better than the master time base known as the Big Ben. Its cleaner and does not impart the same kind of distortion that the Ben does. It makes other converters sound clearer and more focused, perhaps tighter. They are both Digital, but I suggest the Prism laughs at others with precision and accuracy. Unless you have a bunch of digital gear, there is no need to use a Big Ben or other master time base, which again, is probably not going to be as good as the Prism Clock. Nope. I would daisy chain the Prism WC out anyway, since its better. The Orpheus is FW 400, but you can use a simple converter to use 800 if you want.

adam@dspdoctor.com

My Personal Web Page
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search