Swedish mic builders
Old 26th March 2008
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Swedish mic builders

Old 26th March 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
unit7's Avatar
Swedish mics

Think that u mean Didrik de Geer (believe that is his name...). Hyped here in Sweden in the 90's. Big, heavy, very nice looking copper mics. But even another mic builder has entered this domain recently. Don't remember name. Think his capsules are triangular... Been on some trade show I believe.
Old 26th March 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Old 26th March 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Knastratt's Avatar
 

Yep! And Milab.

Thuresson mics are sweet for grand piano.
Old 26th March 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knastratt View Post
Yep! And Milab.

Thuresson mics are sweet for grand piano.
Milab seems to have gone out of business, no? Nobody has their mics in stock and their website says "optimized for IE 4." I bought a VIP-50 in the 90's after seeing a picture of Manhattan Transfer grouped around one and reading an endorsement from Bruce Swedien. Its wide cardioid pattern option was pretty unusual for the time, and it's still one of my favorite vocal mics. Anybody know what happened to Milab?
Old 26th March 2008
  #6
Gear addict
 

Don't forget Pearl microphones...
Old 26th March 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Click harder on the Milab link above!

Matti
Old 26th March 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Schaap's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTI View Post
Click harder on the Milab link above!
Matti
You have to click twice to enter the site, old Flashplayer?

I have the VIP-50 which has its use sometimes and a DC96B, small but nice on strings, ac. guitar and vocals. Though there is a psychological thing with the 96B: "Must I sing in that small, tiny thing???" . Hmm, for this 'size matters'

Henk
Old 26th March 2008
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Knastratt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadewind View Post
Don't forget Pearl microphones...
Pearl did the initial design for Milab AFAIR. No - it was business partners who disagreed and split up.
Old 26th March 2008
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Knastratt's Avatar
 

Has anyone tried the Englund triangular BTW? I'm eager to hear some reviews.
Old 26th March 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
 
mr.gefell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Milab seems to have gone out of business, no? Nobody has their mics in stock and their website says "optimized for IE 4." I bought a VIP-50 in the 90's after seeing a picture of Manhattan Transfer grouped around one and reading an endorsement from Bruce Swedien. Its wide cardioid pattern option was pretty unusual for the time, and it's still one of my favorite vocal mics. Anybody know what happened to Milab?

download safari
Old 26th March 2008
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Ah, so they are still in business and are making items such as surround mics. I guess what threw me was that several of the links come up with "missing page," and there are, strangely, no distributors listed for the U.S.
Old 26th March 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 
mr.gefell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Ah, so they are still in business and are making items such as surround mics. I guess what threw me was that several of the links come up with "missing page," and there are, strangely, no distributors listed for the U.S.
remotesteve / remote forum) is representing milab, pearl is represented by independent audio in maine, check out the pearl dt40. amazing mic.
Old 26th March 2008
  #14
Gear maniac
 

I just had Milab service my VIP-50, so they're definitely still around.
Old 26th March 2008
  #15
Gear maniac
 
Mats's Avatar
 

Old 26th March 2008
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
And then there is the guy who modifyes Chinese ( Soundking?)
mics, but again cannot remember the name.

Matti
Old 27th March 2008
  #17
Gear nut
 
Bo Hansén's Avatar
 

Old 17th December 2009
  #18
GES
Gear nut
 

cm3 next to km184

Old 4th February 2010
  #19
Gear interested
 

Old 4th February 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfly View Post
Milab is definitely alive and kicking. New US distribution and new website.

Milab Microphones AB
I certainly hope so. Otherwise I spoke to a zombie a couple of weeks ago.
Old 15th October 2010
  #21
Gear maniac
 

I have noticed a lot of interest in voiceover mics from Sweden.
Someone with knowledge please let me know me know their preferences.

Thanks
VO MIC TEST
Old 17th December 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 
petsematary's Avatar
 

The Ehrlund mic seems to have been discontinued. De Geer's mics are still in biz afaik, but they are only built on order, you can't get them off the shelf. I would love to hear some clips of one though, I remember reading about them in the 90's and getting really excited about the looks and the praise but I never actually heard one.
Old 17th December 2010
  #23
Gear addict
 
Eldhrimnir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsematary View Post
The Ehrlund mic seems to have been discontinued. De Geer's mics are still in biz afaik, but they are only built on order, you can't get them off the shelf. I would love to hear some clips of one though, I remember reading about them in the 90's and getting really excited about the looks and the praise but I never actually heard one.
The De Geer mic is the most transparent mic I've ever heard. It sounds like; well, like the instrument and the room it's in, basically. It was a revelation in the same sense as when I compared any other mic pre with a GML pre for the first time. Somewhat like removing the control room window from the sound.
We did a shoot-out with a few high end mics some months ago, with the main purpose of evaluating the De Geer mic. I might be able to get a hold of sound clips from that session. Anyway, here are two pics I took with my cellphone, hence the crappy quality. (Mr. De Geer in the background, a really nice fellow.)
The other mics were Brauner VMA, Neumann M149 and Gefell UM92. All through GML pre's.

/Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
Swedish mic builders-dsc00782.jpg   Swedish mic builders-dsc00781.jpg  
Old 18th December 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
We use Pearl CC22 here with fantastic / fanatic results. I have three of them and the top end is very extended with beautiful sparkle. Very detailed rectangular capsule.

Endorsed!
Old 23rd December 2010
  #25
Lives for gear
 
petsematary's Avatar
 

That is one big microphone. I love the finish, it has a steampunk thing going on that I really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldhrimnir View Post
The De Geer mic is the most transparent mic I've ever heard. It sounds like; well, like the instrument and the room it's in, basically. It was a revelation in the same sense as when I compared any other mic pre with a GML pre for the first time. Somewhat like removing the control room window from the sound.
We did a shoot-out with a few high end mics some months ago, with the main purpose of evaluating the De Geer mic. I might be able to get a hold of sound clips from that session. Anyway, here are two pics I took with my cellphone, hence the crappy quality. (Mr. De Geer in the background, a really nice fellow.)
The other mics were Brauner VMA, Neumann M149 and Gefell UM92. All through GML pre's.

/Daniel
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
shangoe / So much gear, so little time!
27
soupking / Geekslutz forum
1
FFTT / So many guitars, so little time!
10
cbastriani / High end
10
Brandino221 / Geekslutz forum
16

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.