New Reply
Subscribe
shmoo2407
10th March 2008
Old 10th March 2008
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to shmoo2407
RCA MI-12241

So I just got a pair of RCA MI-12241 tube pres. Does anyone have any info, work experience, comments about this pre?

My own limited experience with them is this: I listened to it, I recorded a female vox through a ribbon and I liked how it sounded. I did a comparison to my API 512c that she sang through as well, the tube brought a cool quality out in her voice. Overall it's a pretty cool sounding pre I think, a little noisey (tube hiss-ness). I guess I could post the mp3s if anyone's interested.

Anyone else used these or BA-2As, etc? Besides vox, what else have you used them with?
10th March 2008
Old 10th March 2008
Gear nut

Yes, I have a pair of those, haven't used them in a while, but used to all the time. I used them on electric guitar amps with a BK5 ribbon mics and shure dynamic mics. Vocals once in a while with condenser mics. Room mics on drum kits.

Powered with general radio tube regulated power supply. I also have the docs on them, to me they are just a nice sounding tube preamp. I think if you put 1620's or 21's (I don't remember what mil. tube it is!) instead of the 6J7's you get slightly lower noise. Hope this helps, Enjoy! PH
shmoo2407
10th March 2008
Old 10th March 2008
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to shmoo2407
cool man, thanks. If anyone has info on swapping the tubes out for lower noise, that would be great.

so i guess it begs the question: If I'm liking the RCA tube, any other suggestions for old tube vibeness?

Besides an Avalon 737...

I'm totally kidding.
29th March 2013
Old 29th March 2013
Gear Head

RCA doc's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hammond View Post
Yes, I have a pair of those... I also have the docs on them ..
I'd love to get a copy of the doc's if poss?

Thanks,
Evan.
30th March 2013
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

RCA MI-12241 preamp: kind of like a BA-2A with EQ addition

Also: if you go after lower noise tubes, there's little point in changing both, the 1st tube is going to be 95% or more of any perceived noise floor, the later stage simply amplifies the noise of the 1st. As rare and expensive as tubes are, and will increasingly be, I'd never indiscriminately stick 'low noise' tubes in every stage unless it's proven to contribute. Save'em for later replacement use!

Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73
1st April 2013
Old 1st April 2013
Gear Head

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search