Furman or Monster power
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

Furman or Monster power

Hi there,

I want to have some backup before buying a power conditioner for all my 110 voltage gear.
Consider to buy weather the Furman PL-plus series II or the Monster power pro 2500.
Both units are in the same price range. ( about $ 199,- )
But there are different reviews abouth them ?
So what's your experience with any of them.
Are they just as quit as both manufacturers say they are ?
Are there alternatives ?

Greetz,

Paul
Old 8th March 2008
member no 666

There are many alternatives that work FAR better than either of those units [which as far as I can tell are no more than glorified/rack mountable power strips]. Unfortunately these superior units, because they actually do the job in a superior manner, are frightfully more expensive.

Check out some of the conditioning units on the "California Instruments" website and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Peace.
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

thanx,

I am going to have a look at theit website.
To be honest I was only familiat to both name i'd mentioned.

greetz,

Paul
Old 9th March 2008
Gear Guru

Check out equitech as well.
Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

OK, Atlas is selling Equi=tech.
Other brands I do not know right now ?
Old 9th March 2008
Gear addict

Last edited by mxeryus; 9th March 2008 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 9th March 2008
member no 666

Equi=Tech ain't some magic box... it's just a transformer that takes one leg of 120v and splits it between the "hot" and "neutral" at 60v each [in sother words... do not even think about using this with an "ungrounded" item or an item that is grounded to the chassis as you will hurt yourself!!].

You can buy these transformers in any electrical supply shop for about 1/4 to 1/3rd of the price of the Equi=Tech boxes go for. I have one of those units we use for guitar amps as it really helps knock down the noise level... and it helps in an analog control room as well... but not to the "magic bolt of lightning" the spec sheet would imply kind of level.

Peace.
Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

My Monster 2500 is sitting on a shelf, can't use it. The power in my subdivision goes up in the winter time (because no air conditioners are being used) and the 2500 Keeps shutting down because it sees it as irregular power. I've had ComEd out here, who says that the power is to their spec, but the 2500 has too low of a "high power threshold". Frustrating. I need to sell that thing on E-bay... thanks for the reminder.
Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio View Post
My Monster 2500 is sitting on a shelf, can't use it. The power in my subdivision goes up in the winter time (because no air conditioners are being used) and the 2500 Keeps shutting down because it sees it as irregular power. I've had ComEd out here, who says that the power is to their spec, but the 2500 has too low of a "high power threshold". Frustrating. I need to sell that thing on E-bay... thanks for the reminder.

You should look at something like the Furman AR-Pro, it'll knock that power back to 117. I had one in Poland where the power was wacked and it kept me working around the clock. I'm sure there are others but that's the one I had.
Old 9th March 2008
has all the gear he needs

I stuck a Monster 2500 in my rack acouple of years ago. I was just getting into tracking with multiple tube amps and I did notice that it quieted things down noticeably.

I now realize that there are many factors that contribute to signal noise in a 'dirty' environment such as mine.....merely plugging everything into the same power strip could have made the difference.

Or even the 'placebo effect'.........

Who knows?

I keep it there....it adds to the light show in the dark studio.

SoundClick artist: Lenny and the Scapers - Ballad Rock
Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxeryus View Post
Torus Power Welcome to TORUS POWERS...Massive Isolated Clean AC
Or take a look at Kemp Elektroniks Nieuws
The Kemp I was aware of but this is the solution to my european voltage gear.
I was actually meaning the ones for my US 110 voltage gear

In ieder geval bedankt ( Thanx anyway )

Paul
Old 10th August 2008
Gear maniac

Yeah we've got a Monster PowerCenter 3500 here in our studio and it's mossstly been okay. I do come in periodically and find that the Mac and Aurora16 have shut off...I think it's that same problem that RedWallStudio had. We're on ComEd here (in Evanston, IL) and I bet it's been flutuating enough to have this thing restart on us...

Looking for a new solution for our new studio we're building in Skokie...not sure what to get now.

--> freddie
Old 10th August 2008
Gear maniac

Old 10th August 2008
TQP
Gear Head

I've got a Monster Power Pro 2500 here and haven't had any problems with it...but now you've all got me worried...
Old 10th August 2008
Gear maniac

What would be more expensive, having a guy come out to your house and "wire" everything the right way studio style so you dont have to worry about all this stuff, or buying one of those 3 grand power conditioners like the torus power?

Im curious because i dont own a house i pay rent and any kind of construction almost seems like a waste...though ill def be living here for a while
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

I own the Monster 2500 and it has worked great for me. I like the feature that powers up the monitors on a six second delay so you don't get any popping from all the other gear powering up. Same when you turn it off, the monitors go off first, then six seconds later, everything else. No issues here with shutting down.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear addict

definitely check out Shunyata....

I picked up their new design Guardian 6 Pro line conditioner with some of their AC cables and I'm very satisfied.

they've been aimed at hi-fi market for a while but the GP line is more
for recording. whatever that means.

good luck!
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have a Monster 2550.

It's about 500.00 @ Best Buy but I got mine on the bay for under $200.00.

I have my small selection of things running through it - Tascam DM-3200, UA 610, 2 Avalon M5 pres, a Panasonic DAT and my Mac Pro and display. A few other things as well.

Works fine and everything is quiet.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

I've got 3 of the 3500 pros and everything is wired through them - multiple external drives, mac, LCD, monitors, clip on halogen lights, rack gear, synths, turntables - anything in the room that requires power gets plugged into these. I have no noise issues at all or general power problems - and no complaints. Maybe they are just glorified rack power strips as Fletcher says, but I'm happy with the results. I admit, I did buy them before I knew of the reputation Monster has around here for being a "less then nice" company but they work for me in my situation.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear interested

Old 10th August 2008
High End Moderator

What do you guys do for battery backup? Currently I have everything on APC backups, it keeps everything going at least until I can save and shut down. I'm looking for a better solution for the new studio.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear interested

i had a monster... it basically did nothing except look good...
people call them a "glorified power stip" , i agree, exactly what it is...

equitech, model son of q. works for me! run everything through it!
sure it's about 1500. you get what you pay for!
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
What do you guys do for battery backup? Currently I have everything on APC backups, it keeps everything going at least until I can save and shut down. I'm looking for a better solution for the new studio.
my place is on APCs too. if you find a better solution please let us know. thanks.
Old 28th April 2009
Lives for gear

What's the difference between the 2500/3500 and the HTS-2600/3500?
Old 28th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny3c View Post
i had a monster... it basically did nothing except look good...
people call them a "glorified power stip" , i agree, exactly what it is...

equitech, model son of q. works for me! run everything through it!
sure it's about 1500. you get what you pay for!

I useRichard Gray products.

went through equitech, furman, monster, shunyata(audiophool garbage!), and others..

Richard Gray has a customer for life in me..
Old 29th April 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post

went through equitech, furman, monster, shunyata(audiophool garbage!), and others..

Teddy, did you try the Guardian Pro series?

it works pretty well.

my pal has their Hydra stuff and it's pretty nice too.

Last edited by Sonic Lush; 29th April 2009 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: I mean the Shunyata, stuff, of course
Old 29th April 2009
PDC
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Equi=Tech ain't some magic box... i
Right on! WAAAY overpriced for what it is.

If you want a GREAT unit, check this:

IsoTek Systems
Old 29th April 2009
PDC
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post

I have one of those as well. I use it for my computer and printer. I use Iso Teks for audio. You should try them.
Old 29th April 2009
My APC battery backup died so I purchased a pair of APC 900 ups and they emitted some buzzing noise. Also APC didn't want anything to do with backing up audio/video devices. So I returned the APC's and got this:

FurmanSound.com - Pro A/V Product - P-1800 AR

-->hope it does some good
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocomotion View Post
Anyone used any of the Richard Gray's Power Company stuff?

Richard Gray's Power Company

--> freddie
Richard Gray user here,very good product line, i have mac setup in the 400 Pro(G5 and Monitors)
Richard Gray's Power Company - Parallel Products
products they make that looks very nice but I do not have is:
Richard Gray's Power Company - UPS Products
Richard Gray's Power Company - Isolation Products

on the audio part of my rig (Focal Twin 6,RME FF 800,Hardware Synths ,Akai Sampler etc.... I use Shunyata Research this stuff is amazing!
Hydra 6(soon to be 2) and Guardian 4 with their Power cords(can not explain how much a power cord can help a system but this stuff surprises cynics everywhere)
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
I do have an affiliation with Shunyata and I thought it was BS until I tried(using for 4 years)this is a very special product line.
this stuff has to be used to understand,some people will dismiss as BS but there are some very good products out there imoho fwiw Monster is not in the same league.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search