Good mic match with A Designs Pacifica?
Brian Scherzer
4th March 2008
Old 4th March 2008
Gear interested

Good mic match with A Designs Pacifica?

I'm considering several mics to be a first choice match with an A Designs Pacifica preamp. Use would be for vocals and acoustic instruments. I have already searched and read that the Pearlman TM-1 is a very good match. Are there other mics in the $2500 and under price range that you would recommend above the Pearlman.......used u87, new Lawson M47, etc.?
4th March 2008
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

If possible, try to borrow some mics and try them out.

Any mic in the range of Pearlman, U87, etc, is going to sound great with the Pacifica - no doubt about that. The Pacifica does have some upper-end glassy sheen/sparkle, so if you like that and want to emphasize it, then get a brighter mic, such as a Peluso P12 or a 251. If you want a fuller sound with not as much sparkle, then try something like a vintage U87 or Pearlman with the hi-cut engaged.
4th March 2008
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

The Peluso 2247 LE works very well with the P1. Haven't matched the P1 with a TM-1.
4th March 2008
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

pacifica loves ribbons - plenty of gain with nice tops.....its a good combo!
4th March 2008
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
pacifica loves ribbons - plenty of gain with nice tops.....its a good combo!
Indeed. Royer and pacifica go very well together!
4th March 2008
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

The Pacifica makes all my mics sound better. SM57s and U47s all sound great through my Pacificas.
4th March 2008
Old 4th March 2008

Any mic should work fine. Matching the mic to the voice should be the first priority... not the preamp. Although, you do need to watch the upper mid forwardness/ edge of the Pacifica that can emphasize sibilance in mics which lend themselves towards sibilance.... or should I say voices which lend themselves to being sibilant.
Brian Scherzer
4th March 2008
Old 4th March 2008
Gear interested

Guys..........Thanks! I decided to go ahead and purchase a Pearlman TM-1, which I just ordered. I had to start somewhere, so this seemed like a good first choice. I can add other mics and preamps over time. I appreciate the help!!!
4th March 2008
Old 4th March 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Any mic should work fine. Matching the mic to the voice should be the first priority... not the preamp. Although, you do need to watch the upper mid forwardness/ edge of the Pacifica that can emphasize sibilance in mics which lend themselves towards sibilance.... or should I say voices which lend themselves to being sibilant.

Quote:
Although, you do need to watch the upper mid forwardness/ edge of the Pacifica that can emphasize sibilance in mics which lend themselves towards sibilance.... or should I say voices which lend themselves to being sibilant.

i can not believe you said that?
Quote:
or should I say voices which lend themselves to being sibilant.
yes!
i do not see the a edge?
certainly not as mid forward as the API?
anyway to the point i have yet to use a mic with the P-1 that i did not like.
sorry Tony, but i love the mid forward sound, and IMHO, it is a far cry from edgy!
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post

Quote:

i can not believe you said that?

Quote:
yes!
i do not see the a edge?
certainly not as mid forward as the API?
anyway to the point i have yet to use a mic with the P-1 that i did not like.
sorry Tony, but i love the mid forward sound, and IMHO, it is a far cry from edgy!
What are we quoting the same thing over and over now...

The Pacifica is forward in the upper-mids, further up the frequency range than the API's. The guy was asking what mic to get with his Pacifica, so I told him... almost anything should work (for instance, the Pearlman would be a good match, or Peluso 47 LE). But, if you are really talking about matching the mic to the pre, you should be careful with microphones that may have peaks around 6-8k, which can make sibilance harder to control... This is especially apparent with rap vocals and the Pacifica, with certain microphones.
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Guru

For some reason i thought i just saw a thread just like this. anyways a u87 sounds great through a Pacifica for vocals.
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any mic should work fine. Matching the mic to the voice should be the first priority... not the preamp. Although, you do need to watch the upper mid forwardness/ edge of the Pacifica that can emphasize sibilance in mics which lend themselves towards sibilance....
Not to discount Tony's experience, but as a guy that has used the pacifica on the lead vocals on dozens of records using mics ranging from $70 to $15,000, I have never noticed the Pacifica to create or enhance any problems with sibilance.
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Not to discount Tony's experience, but as a guy that has used the pacifica on the lead vocals on dozens of records using mics ranging from $70 to $15,000, I have never noticed the Pacifica to create or enhance any problems with sibilance.
I'm guessing you haven't tried it on a rap vocal...

Don't get me wrong guys... I like the Pacifica. It's just something to keep in mind if you are looking at mics specifically to pair with it... especially if you are doing any rap vocals. I would lean away from the C800G and similar brighter mics, or those which already tend to be somewhat sibilant.
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:

What are we quoting the same thing over and over now...

The Pacifica is forward in the upper-mids, further up the frequency range than the API's. The guy was asking what mic to get with his Pacifica, so I told him... almost anything should work (for instance, the Pearlman would be a good match, or Peluso 47 LE). But, if you are really talking about matching the mic to the pre, you should be careful with microphones that may have peaks around 6-8k, which can make sibilance harder to control... This is especially apparent with rap vocals and the Pacifica, with certain microphones.
sorry if i missed what you were saying, the implication was ( in my humble view ), that you were implicating a pre-amp issue.
i just could not believe you would say such a thing, thus the multiple quote.
issues of sibilants would be a source related issue, or an inherent hiss in a given piece of gear.
i have yet to see a piece of A-Designs gear that had a sibilant issue.
sibilants would be more easily overcome with micing techniques such as, the pencil trick, a proper screen, or pop filter.
you could also look at EQ, or a de-esser.
better yet, how about the practice of proper diction~

Quote:
once again, not to take from you in anyway, i see sibilants as a source issue, the direct result of poor diction.

i did not get the impression from the original post, that their was concerned with the pre-amp, and as acoustics was mentioned, i would never have thought, the implication to demean, or defame, a given pre-amp would in any way, be offering, a solution to the question.
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
You would be guessing incorrectly.

But i have never used it with a C800G .
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008

Quote:
sorry if i missed what you were saying, the implication was ( in my humble view ), that you were implicating a pre-amp issue.
i just could not believe you would say such a thing, thus the multiple quote.
issues of sibilants would be a source related issue, or an inherent hiss in a given piece of gear.
i have yet to see a piece of A-Designs gear that had a sibilant issue.
sibilants would be more easily overcome with micing techniques such as, the pencil trick, a proper screen, or pop filter.
you could also look at EQ, or a de-esser.
better yet, how about the practice of proper diction~
The Pencil trick, pop screen or pop filter is for controlling plosives. This has nothing to do with sibilance and doesn't help in this regards.

Sibilance is a complex issue that starts with the source (the voice).... Some microphones are good at hiding it... Such as the pearlman and Peluso 47 LE... Others are known to bring it out even more... the same can be said about preamps, but it is more subtle than with microphones. Microphones are the main contributor, of course it all starts with the source. Sibilance is not hiss...
Quote:
once again, not to take from you in anyway, i see sibilants as a source issue, the direct result of poor diction.

i did not get the impression from the original post, that their was concerned with the pre-amp, and as acoustics was mentioned, i would never have thought, the implication to demean, or defame, a given pre-amp would in any way, be offering, a solution to the question.
Pan, I will send you an example of this right now via email and you will understand immediately what I am talking about.
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008
500 series nutjob

cool!
but i do understand what Sibilance is, particularly with Sssss and Zsss i do feel screens are effective in taming sibilants as most have a tendency to relinquish upper register frequencies.
i do however freely admit to not have much experience with rap so maybe i have yet to see the same severity you have experienced.
the pencil trick, plosives, pop, yes, i was typing as opposed to thinking, but yet i feel Sibilance as well:(~
webster primarily describes Sibilance as hiss...
and as hiss is not what is at issue, then i fall back to the source being the issue in regards to Ssssss, Zss and things related to diction..
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008
Gear addict

funny tony. i've been told that the pacifica can be kind of bright. it's all subjective i guess.
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008
Gear addict

This web site is filled with die hard pacifica fans. The A Designs stuff is nice.
VIntage Q8 Stuff is nice too.
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008

Quote:
webster primarily describes Sibilance as hiss...
sibilant - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Quote:
: having, containing, or producing the sound of or a sound resembling that of the s or the sh in sash <a sibilant affricate> <a sibilant snake>
Anyway, I think we are getting a little too fixated on the sibilance issue... but, like walth said.... This web site is filled with die hard pacifica fans.

Pan, hit me back on the email.
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
funny tony. i've been told that the pacifica can be kind of bright. it's all subjective i guess.
Unfortunetly, It's sometimes not bright enough for my taste, but I think it has more to do with my conversion (apogee 200).
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
Unfortunetly, It's sometimes not bright enough for my taste, but I think it has more to do with my conversion (apogee 200).
I highly doubt it's the converters... it's most likely the mic (or your room). But, hey... that's what EQ is for.
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah...well maybe. But the Chandler TG usually gives me more high end but a lot less meat.
5th March 2008
Old 5th March 2008
500 series nutjob

lol much newer dictionary then i have~
webster unabrided dictionary states
Sibilant

Sib"i*lant (?), a. [L. sibilans, -antis, p. pr. of sibilare to hiss: cf. F. sibilant.] Making a hissing sound; uttered with a hissing sound; hissing; as, s, z, sh, and zh, are sibilant elementary sounds. -- n. A sibiliant letter.

the oxford american states
Sib*i*lant
adj. having a hissing sound
n. one of the speech sounds that sound like hissing.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search