SighBorg
19th February 2008
Old 19th February 2008
Lives for gear

Audient Black

So what's the scoop on these? Anyone use these for a decent amount of time yet? The comp in particular looks interesting.

Thanks
4th April 2008
Old 4th April 2008
Gear maniac

Same query as above..any Audient Black Series users?
A music store in my city will carry this brand very soon and I'm curious to know what users have to say.

Price-wise looks very interesting..
8th July 2010
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

Just found a demo on Auidents web site. Black Series Overview - Audient

I am damm impressed with their sound. The HMX brings fullness to tracks, the EQ is great and the opto compressor is magical. This is on the top of my list to get a pair of pre's, EQ's and compressors for my studio. In checking on line, you can buy 2 pre's, EQ's, and comps with a rack for around $2,350. That is two channel strips for the price a lot cheaper than one channel strip by other company's out there. That is amazing! Discrete components inside.

Here is a great in depth review of their gear too. Please note you can buy a single pre, EQ and comp in a box as well as the rack system. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may0...lackseries.htm
8th July 2010
Old 8th July 2010
Gear addict

The comp is real awesome, a must have
8th July 2010
Old 8th July 2010
Gear interested

Hi all,

Thanks for the positive feedback, it's always good to hear people saying nice things about our products!

If anyone is interested in knowing more about the Black Series, there's another excellent thread on this forum where Lindell produced some more audio examples of the processors. See: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...ew-sounds.html. It also includes some development news from Steve - a member of the Audient engineering team, as well as more comments from users.

The units are now available with a '500 Adapter' - meaning API 500 modules can be used with the Black Series if required.
The full specifications for these can be found on our website Black Series Overview - Audient.

If you're looking for another point of view to complement that of Sound on Sound, there's a review by Bobby Frasier at Mix Online: Audient Black Series Vertical Rack Processor Review in Mix magazine product review of the Audient Black Series Vertical Rack Processor

All the best,
Matt from Audient
8th July 2010
Old 8th July 2010
Gear addict

Hi Matt I´m specially interested in the 500 adapater, could you please upload any pic of the adapter??? and how does it works??? cheers
8th July 2010
Old 8th July 2010
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audient View Post
Hi all,

The units are now available with a '500 Adapter' - meaning all the Black Series modules can be used with the API 500 style 'lunchbox' if required.
The full specifications for these can be found on our website Black Series Overview - Audient.

All the best,
Matt from Audient
I'm curious how this adaptor works since the 500 module position is only 5.25" (3 rack spaces) tall and it appears the Black series is 7" (4 rack spaces tall). I checked your web site and did not see the adaptor.

I was at a friends studio here in LA recently and he had a Sumo along with a Black rack fitted with a comp and eq. The demo tracks he played for me sounded quite good.
8th July 2010
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The units are now available with a '500 Adapter' - meaning all the Black Series modules can be used with the API 500 style 'lunchbox' if required.

All the best,
Matt from Audient
Yes... as the post above says.... I believe it is the other way around....

Black modules will not fit in the lunchbox right???? unless you have made another adapter......
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

It would seem Matt from Audient is not only new here.

I was very interested in these modules, but their prices were not good in the US. They did come down, though I never could find the lunchbox domestically. I ended up going with some SSL X-Rack modules instead when they dropped their prices and were running quite a few bundle specials. I'd still entertain an Audient lunchbox with a channelstrip's worth of modules at a good price. I believe they have new US distribution now, so things may be better.
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
I believe they have new US distribution now, so things may be better.
SEE: Kintage Ving
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Gear interested

Well spotted, I've corrected my original post as I did indeed get the 500 adapter part the wrong way round. Apologies for raising any hopes...!
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Gear addict

yes but could you please upload any pic or explain us, how does it works???
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Gear interested

The unit has an integrated power supply that will connect to the Black Series and 500 modules, by adapting the power rails of the Black Series to the API standard. This means other modules can be used alongside the Black Series, in a block of four.
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Audient changed the above image to the one with the adapter, so I deleted the one I posted here.

Here is the press release from the New Product forum that also has a large image.
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
SEE: Kintage Ving
Thanks, there it is! (the lunchbox, not the adapter)

That would make a three module channel strip come in at about 2K, not knowing the price of a blank panel, though... not awful, I guess.
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
The unit has an integrated power supply that will connect to the Black Series and 500 modules, by adapting the power rails of the Black Series to the API standard. This means other modules can be used alongside the Black Series, in a block of four.
any pic of the power supply at the adapter could be awesome
TRW
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
TRW
Lives for gear

Pretty sure it is just a few voltage regs on the back of the card to drop the 18v rails in the rack to 15v ish for API module spec.

-T
10th July 2010
Old 10th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

That is what I would like to have; a single channel strip of Audient black! I really like the way the pre eq and comp sound.
11th July 2010
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

There are 5 things that attract me to these Audient Black modules.
1. They are class A quality gear
2. They are very flexible in where they offer you a nice clean sound but then if you want some color, they can add that in as well with these wonderful options built in. You could easily record any type of music with just the Black and I know I could be very satisfied. I could not say that about many companies. Some have lots of color which I would not want on everything, and the same could be same with clean gear.
3. They did not try to copy a sound of API or Neve. They have their own sound. That is very refreshing.
4. They look great in a rack.
5. They are not too expensive
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I bought the Audient Black single rack last month.
1. Pre
2. EQ,
3. Comp

This is my favorite setup in my studio to run vocals, bass, or guitar through at this point. I am thinking about selling the rack and get the bigger rack and get two channels of it. Would be great for summing a mix through as well.
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

What do you mean by single rack? I thought they only made a 4 and 10 space rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
1. Pre
2. EQ,
3. Comp

This is my favorite setup in my studio to run vocals, bass, or guitar through at this point. I am thinking about selling the rack and get the bigger rack and get two channels of it. Would be great for summing a mix through as well.
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry meant single channel 4 space rack like the photo
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

Okay, thanks.... Thought I missed a new product.

Quote:
Sorry meant single channel 4 space rack like the photo
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

I am actually thinking of selling some of my gear to get more Audient Black. If I get the 10 space rack, I can have 4 pre's, two EQ's and compressors. The pre's are very clean pre's, but then with the HMX you can add character to your signal as well. The EQ's are very clean but musical. With the opto and glo buttons you get a lot of different sounds out of the one EQ. The compressor opto circuit is very nice. Great on vocals, bass and drum buss. I am thinking if I have the Portico gear and Audient Black, I don't need anything else. Just love their gear.

For those who are interested, Audient has a demo page of how their gear sounds on their web page which I have a link to above.
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
1. Pre
2. EQ,
3. Comp

Congrats on the Audient gear, I have been very impressed with their sound and flexibility.
5th October 2010
Old 5th October 2010
Lives for gear

The Black series seems to be really cool....

Quote:
I am actually thinking of selling some of my gear to get more Audient Black. If I get the 10 space rack, I can have 4 pre's, two EQ's and compressors. The pre's are very clean pre's, but then with the HMX you can add character to your signal as well. The EQ's are very clean but musical. With the opto and glo buttons you get a lot of different sounds out of the one EQ. The compressor opto circuit is very nice. Great on vocals, bass and drum buss. I am thinking if I have the Portico gear and Audient Black, I don't need anything else. Just love their gear.

For those who are interested, Audient has a demo page of how their gear sounds on their web page which I have a link to above.
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Gear nut

Interesting..

I think these are the most affordable pieces of high quality gear on the market and I didn't manage to find one negative review about them. There's not much talk about these on any gear- or pro-audioforum but everyone that uses the black series is raving about them.

What's the catch?

I'm thinking about picking up a 4 space rack with a pre/ comp and eq to check out for myself
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search