Login / Register

Chandlerholics Anonymous
New Reply
Subscribe
1st July 2010
Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear

Chandler is no doubt the coolest company in pro audio IMO. API and Neve are great, but there is a sense of style and color that just screams rock'n'roll like no other company....... agains... just my opinion.

They are in fact one of the very few "Future Classics"
1st July 2010
Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
Chandler is no doubt the coolest company in pro audio IMO. API and Neve are great, but there is a sense of style and color that just screams rock-'n'roll like no other company....... agains... just my opinion.

They are in fact one of their very few "Future Classics"
thumbsup
1st July 2010
Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Another extremely satisfied customer here. I have a TG2 and a pair of Germ Comps, which are my favourite things in the studio. The service has been personal and amazingly good, actually the best I have ever encountered anywhere!

I posted about how I use them for mastering here:

Chandler Germanium as mix bus compressor
1st July 2010
Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkflame View Post
Another extremely satisfied customer here. I have a TG2 and a pair of Germ Comps, which are my favourite things in the studio. The service has been personal and amazingly good, actually the best I have ever encountered anywhere!

I posted about how I use them for mastering here:

Chandler Germanium as mix bus compressor
Thanks Darkflame, I have read your post and it made me interested in trying a pair of germ on the mix buss...I am currently using a Drawmer 1968 (which I really like) but I would like to try the germs, as I have discovered recently, even if I had the 1968 for 5 years,that it is a great drum buss comp too ( I had no idea!) So at some point I would need new comps for either tracking or buss duties.

Originally Posted by vernier:
"Vintage synth has balls, as does everything vintage."

"Apart from vintage gentlemen, whos balls are largely useless." Narcoman
1st July 2010
Old 1st July 2010
Gear maniac

Wait until you hear the Little Devil Compressors.

A good friend of mine was nice enough to let me borrow his rack over a weekend.

Ordered two of them that Monday morning.
8th September 2010
Old 8th September 2010
Gear addict

Alright so i don't usually get waxing lyrical about too much gear, I try to stay out of the "you need to spend £XXXXXXX amount of money to get THAT sound."

But my GOD, mixing a big pop production in the large room at work today, the brass needed a little Zest? Something to really make it pop out and smack you in the face like some 70s funky stuff.

I figure i'll just try out this curve bender thing. Crank up the mids and tops and WHAM that it is abbey road circa 1968-1970something! I have no idea how to explain it, but not since i first had a mix on the SSL 4k have i played with something and really gone wow that is it!

I'll probably try and post a sample at some point...
11th November 2010
Old 11th November 2010
Gear Head

Does anyone know how much THD the germ pre is capable of?
11th November 2010
Old 11th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcatz View Post
Does anyone know how much THD the germ pre is capable of?
Most any pre is capable of HUGE amounts of THD if you overdrive it enough, the Germ is no different.

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn." --Gore Vidal
"The best sounding sluttiest gear of all time... is a great song" --Greg Wells
"Life is too important to be taken Seriously." --Oscar Wilde
8th January 2011
Old 8th January 2011
Gear nut

Does anyone here own the chandler curve bender and the chandler tone control? I'm debating to buy a curve bender or 2x tone controls, does the curve bender lack any of the features of the tone control?
Or are they pretty much the same, just the tone control has less EQ options?
I see the tone control has a "feedback" tone which I'm not sure if the curve bender has.
8th January 2011
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

I just received my TG1 today - SICK!
8th January 2011
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arasandvolodkas View Post
Does anyone here own the chandler curve bender and the chandler tone control? I'm debating to buy a curve bender or 2x tone controls, does the curve bender lack any of the features of the tone control?
I see the tone control has a "feedback" tone which I'm not sure if the curve bender has.
Only have the Tone Controls here: Remember that the Tone Controls are from the 'Germainum' line, so the feedback/drive has that germ drive amp in them.

The curve bender is not a germainum.
8th January 2011
Old 8th January 2011
Gear nut

I'm wondering something else about both units, I can't find any specs as to the inputs on the models. I have the DIGI 003 rack, which doesn't have any XLR outputs. My plan was to send the signal out from the rack to the mixer to mix my tracks, but I don't see an 1/4" input anywhere on the curve bender. Does it have any inputs other than XLR? or am I screwed?
8th January 2011
Old 8th January 2011
Gear nut

*Sorry I meant send the signal from my DIGI 003 to the curve bender
9th January 2011
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Head

All you need to do is to get/make 1/4" TRS to XLR cables to interface your 003 with the Curve Bender. It's very simple, most people that are handy with an iron could make them on their own. If you need specifics, feel free to PM me.
9th January 2011
Old 9th January 2011
Gear nut

Cool, thanks, Is there a high quality cable that you would recommend? I've read something about "tip ring sleeve" cables in this post:

1/4 inch to XLR chord=bad?

If there is anyone that has had a chance to compare the curve bender and tone control, let me know
10th January 2011
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have both. Two very different sounding EQ's. If you need broad, stereo buss/mastering style EQ, the Curvebender is probably the way to go. If you need a tracking/overdubbing/EQing-an-instrument-in-the-mix EQ the Tone Control is probably the way to go. They both use Germanium gain stages, but they used in a different fashions. The TControl is a more aggressive EQ, meaning that the response when you turn the gain pot one way or the other is pretty obvious, where as the CBender is a bit more subtle. Plus with the TControl the low end Cut/Boost settings do something very interesting.

Cheers,
John
10th January 2011
Old 10th January 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
I have both. Two very different sounding EQ's. If you need broad, stereo buss/mastering style EQ, the Curvebender is probably the way to go. If you need a tracking/overdubbing/EQing-an-instrument-in-the-mix EQ the Tone Control is probably the way to go. They both use Germanium gain stages, but they used in a different fashions. The TControl is a more aggressive EQ, meaning that the response when you turn the gain pot one way or the other is pretty obvious, where as the CBender is a bit more subtle. Plus with the TControl the low end Cut/Boost settings do something very interesting.

Cheers,
John
thanks, I just found your response to a similar post in another thread, and I snooped and saw your studio and clients, woah!

I'd LOVE to get both, but I might have to settle on getting the "a designs hammer or drawmer 1961". The difference is 2 thousand bucks if I was to get a used curve bender. I'm operating out of a small home studio so it might be more practical to go with the cheaper alternative.... it's a tough decision though let me tell ya. That curve bender looks really sweet.
10th January 2011
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
They both use Germanium gain stages, but they used in a different fashions.
Cheers,
John
Oops, I didn't know the curvebender used a germ gain stage.
10th January 2011
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks, I just found your response to a similar post in another thread, and I snooped and saw your studio and clients, woah!

I'd LOVE to get both, but I might have to settle on getting the "a designs hammer or drawmer 1961". .
The hammer is much different, it's cleaner, more hifi like. The tone control is more creamy with a buttery high end, very smooth.

I wouldn't even consider the 1961.
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd LOVE to get both, but I might have to settle on getting the "a designs hammer or drawmer 1961". The difference is 2 thousand bucks if I was to get a used curve bender. I'm operating out of a small home studio so it might be more practical to go with the cheaper alternative.... it's a tough decision though let me tell ya. That curve bender looks really sweet.
If it helps any....

I have a Tone Control, a Hammer, a pair of API 550A's and a Great River EQ-NV2.

The Tone Control is GREAT but I like it for individual instruments in the mix (usually bass). To be fair I only have one so I have never tried it on a mix buss but I have a feeling that wouldn't be where I would use it.

You can't go wrong with any of Wades designs, I LOVE the Tone Control for what it is.

The Hammer is a great sounding EQ but it is a little limited for my taste on 2 buss. There are not enough frequencies for 2 buss and not enough bands. I use it for drum buss now, it's really great for that.

The Great River is my all around EQ for tracking and 2 buss. Lots of frequency choices and 4 bands plus a low shelf.

The API's are only 3 bands but lots of frequencies to pick from, great for guitars.

If I were limited with budget (and I am) and I could only have one I would probably get the Great River.

BUT This is a Chandler thread and, knowing how cool Wade's products are (I have a pair of Germ Comps and Tone Control and had a TG2 at one point) I would be surprised if the Curvebender or Tone Control didn't make you really happy if you decide to go in that direction.

Hope this helps.... good luck in your search.
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

thanks. I love them both but for different things. For day to day tracking and 'dig in and get it done' EQing it is hard to beat the Germ TC, especially on electric guitars.

Demo one if you can...

good luck,

John
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Today I joined the Chandler club with a Zener Limiter
can't wait to start seeing what this thing can do!
12th January 2011
Old 12th January 2011
Gear nut

I ended up going with the TG channel MK 2, that way I get the pre and EQ

I'm also hoping to get the tone control, germ pre, and TG1... we'll see what I can afford though, haha!
13th January 2011
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I ended up going with the TG channel MK 2, that way I get the pre and EQ

I'm also hoping to get the tone control, germ pre, and TG1... we'll see what I can afford though, haha!
have fun !!!
15th January 2011
Old 15th January 2011
Gear nut

Thanks!
Like the slut I am, I actually just got some great deals on some used chandler stuff, I got the TG1 and the germanium pre. Can't wait to try them out!
I guess now I'm a chandlerholic!
15th January 2011
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

The only guitar that could be considered versatile is a PRS. Basically because it sounds equally bad on any sound you try to make with it.
Ain't that the truth!

Quote:
Tom Petty is one of the best American Pop songwriters we've ever had. He's one of the few who manages to write catchy songs that you can still listen to 20 years later.
Not to mention that 30 years later, he is still making great records...perhaps the longest, creatively fertile, rock star career I can think of...

All hail TP (and Mike Campbell of course)!!!

Z
16th January 2011
Old 16th January 2011
Enjoys Food too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfront2K View Post
Wait until you hear the Little Devil Compressors.

+1
I'm super happy as all hell with my LD Comp. I'm surprised there isn't much more talk about them. So effin versatile! I love it on pretty much everything from Vocals, Guitar, Bass. Fun fun fun.
16th January 2011
Old 16th January 2011
Gear nut

J.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaknt View Post
I too am addicted.

It just doesn't get better than a TG Channel for just about anything.

The pre has an awesome color and the eq is perfect too.
Plus one TG Channel!!!
16th January 2011
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

I felt in love with the germanium comps ...
As soon as i can ; i m buyin a pair ....

Mordicus
16th January 2011
Old 16th January 2011
www.circlestudios.co.uk

TG2, Germ and Zener owner here. If anyone's interested the first song (She's No Real Woman) on the site below was tracked almost entirely through either the TG2 or Germ. The Zener lived on the mixbus.

Here it is: www.circlestudios.co.uk

Machiavelli's Guide To the Music Industry: http://www.supajam.com/blog/l/Machia...Music-Industry
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search