Converter question
mandzaro
5th February 2008
Old 5th February 2008
Gear interested

Converter question

I'm about to put together my project studio and would appreciate to hear opinion about my plan.
I'll do minimal tracking - not more as 2-4 tracks simultaneus, so I think to get one high-end 4Ch AD and 2Ch Da for monitoring. I intend to do analog summing too, so I'll need another 8-14Ch decent DA. I already have Kyma (8Ch DA), contemplate to get Eventide H8000 (4Ch DA) and maybe Bricasti (2Ch DA).
I hear good words about Kyma converter, but could't compare it side by side with another. Don't know about H8000 and Bricasti, but suppose - must be at least decent.
The point is - 3 sets of different brands converters, common clock - will it couse any problems, such various delay by passing through diffrents converters path etc.?
It's rather bad idea or...

Thanks for answers

Martin
6th February 2008
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

Hello Martin,

The Bricasti does not give you the option of D->A.

A->A and D->D only.

-Casey
6th February 2008
Old 6th February 2008
Gear maniac

I might be way of here, but I thought that clocking several converters to the same clock is what makes them work togheter, and in most cases flawlessy?

Anyone?
6th February 2008
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

Texum - That is a great debate right now.... Some people say they "hear" a difference when they use a master word clock (Keep in mind this has nothing to do with time code or SMPTE). Other people (including Bob Katz who goes into this in great detail in a book of his) say that basically a converter can only convert as well as that converter can. And by adding a external clock... it cannot get better... only stay the same or get worse.

In my opinion.... if you have access to a clock... try it both ways and see what sounds best to you. I would have an assistant switch between them without telling you (a blind test) because I think a lot of people go out and buy a Big Ben and say "Oh god yes" when really nothing has changed except for money from your pocket.

Here is the book im talking about: Amazon.com: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science: Books: Bob Katz

Rock on!
-Mike
6th February 2008
Old 6th February 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 View Post
Texum - That is a great debate right now.... Some people say they "hear" a difference when they use a master word clock (Keep in mind this has nothing to do with time code or SMPTE). Other people (including Bob Katz who goes into this in great detail in a book of his) say that basically a converter can only convert as well as that converter can. And by adding a external clock... it cannot get better... only stay the same or get worse.

In my opinion.... if you have access to a clock... try it both ways and see what sounds best to you. I would have an assistant switch between them without telling you (a blind test) because I think a lot of people go out and buy a Big Ben and say "Oh god yes" when really nothing has changed except for money from your pocket.

Here is the book im talking about: Amazon.com: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science: Books: Bob Katz

Rock on!
-Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for that, but I guess I choose the wrong wording in my first post. What I meant to say, is that I believe that when you want to use different converters at the same time, you have to designate one clock to "clock" them all, either that being one of the converters' internal clocks, or one independent, external clock.

So this "common" clock is what makes the converters work together, and ensure that you don't experience any latency comming from one or more of the converters.

SO, for example, in relation to the OP's question of using several different converters, I believe that in theory this should not create any sort of delays/latency, since all this devices will have to use one "common" clock.

I do this with the 002 (or at least, I believe that's what I do) when I use both the 002's own converters, together with an M-Audio Octane 8ch pre/A/D converter, and an Apogee Rosetta 2c AD/DA, and clocking them all through the Rosetta.

But I'll shut up now, really don't know much about this, just saw that no one else had chimed in, so I thought I'd give it a shot

BTW: I have read several posts about the influence of external word clocks on sound, so I'll definitively check out Bob Katz book. Should be interesting, and I guess there are a lot of good reasons for believing him if he says that master/external clocking has no influence on sound.
6th February 2008
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah, and thats the debate... it is not clear if using a "common" word clock is beneficial. As always... don't believe in the hype and use your ears.
6th February 2008
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 View Post
Texum - That is a great debate right now.... Some people say they "hear" a difference when they use a master word clock (Keep in mind this has nothing to do with time code or SMPTE). Other people say that basically a converter can only convert as well as that converter can. And by adding a external clock... it cannot get better... only stay the same or get worse.[/url]
Ever heard a Lavry Blue clock an Alesis HD24 (via an AI-4 for AES to lightpipe)? Night and day difference. IME, some clocking differences are more subtle, that's just the one that I've heard that makes the most obvious "holy sh*t" difference.
6th February 2008
Old 6th February 2008
Gear maniac

But, and please excuse my ignorance, Mike, but is it possible, let's say with Pro Tools, to let each converter use it's own clock? I though you had to set one clock as the "common" clock?

I've always figured that the aformentioned debate was about the eventual benefits of using a dedicated, external clock like the Big Ben, and not about the clocks already inside the converters in question. But there you go, glad to be able to learn something new.

thanks, Mike, for helping out.

Dag
6th February 2008
Old 6th February 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Ever heard a Lavry Blue clock an Alesis HD24 (via an AI-4 for AES to lightpipe)? Night and day difference. IME, some clocking differences are more subtle, that's just the one that I've heard that makes the most obvious "holy sh*t" difference.
I guess this would mean that a Lavry Blue 2ch AD/DA on the SPDIF on a 002, clocking through the Lavry, would have quite a beneficial effect on the internal converters of the 002 as well?
mandzaro
6th February 2008
Old 6th February 2008
Gear interested

Thanks for the feedback

P.S. Bricasti - ouch..whaaat a pity.
Nevertheless - I couch it

Martin
7th February 2008
Old 7th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texum View Post
I guess this would mean that a Lavry Blue 2ch AD/DA on the SPDIF on a 002, clocking through the Lavry, would have quite a beneficial effect on the internal converters of the 002 as well?
thumbsup
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search