Tannoy System 8
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjboogie View Post
What's the difference between system 800's, Active 8's & 800a's?
Active 8: Not sure. If you mean AMS8, it's basically a System 8 NFM II with built-in amps.

System 800 and 800a: different driver (2046, six-spoke ovoid flange), octagonal non-DMT cabinet. S800 is passive, S800a has amps built in.
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjboogie View Post
What's the difference between system 800's, Active 8's & 800a's?

I have some Active 8's that I bought about 10 years ago.
ah the actives are terrible, I'll take them off your hands

In all seriousness, I use 800a as a zero point source for testing, and they double as my near fields.

I absolutely love the imaging on them.

I don't know the technical differences between the 800/800a/active 8's (never heard of active 8s) but here's this...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf uman_System800.pdf (80.3 KB, 236 views) File Type: pdf uman_System800A.pdf (224.6 KB, 286 views)
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

Tannoy DMT8 here

Struggled with them in the past due to harshness... but now i'm beginning to wonder if it's their accuracy which makes them ruthless and intolerant of poor mixes.

Would love some System 10's but had the 8's for over 15years and they're like a good er... friend...that always tells you the truth....the good bad and the ugly!
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqlia View Post
Tannoy DMT8 here

Struggled with them in the past due to harshness... but now i'm beginning to wonder if it's their accuracy which makes them ruthless and intolerant of poor mixes.
Try adjusting the toe-in: rotate them so they point straight ahead instead of angled inward toward your head.
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamanjeval View Post
Try adjusting the toe-in: rotate them so they point straight ahead instead of angled inward toward your head.
amazing!!! thanks for the confirmation.. i've done this only within the last two weeks and everything is MUCH better!
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamanjeval View Post
I think they, like most relatively constant-directivity speakers, sound best "overtoed." That is to say, tilted in such that their axes cross ahead of the listening position.

While it doesn't much matter for nearfield use, that method also gets the broadest "sweet spot" for mid- or far- field listening.
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Gear interested

Another Tannoy fan here.... albeit a bit lower end that most posted here.
I've been using PBM 8 II's for nearfields since the early 90's.

I actually have a spare set in the wings in case anything happens to my active pair....lol
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Tried bunging the ports of DMT System 8's as someone mentioned earlier.

....with er... Holland & Barret vitamin bottles !!!

Vastly preferred the sound without the bungs. Oddly, i liked the timing of the mid frequencies in relation to the low frequencies without the bungs.

Who knows, maybe a different brand of bottle would've yield better results!
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqlia View Post
Tried bunging the ports of DMT System 8's as someone mentioned earlier.

....with er... Holland & Barret vitamin bottles !!!

Vastly preferred the sound without the bungs. Oddly, i liked the timing of the mid frequencies in relation to the low frequencies without the bungs.

Who knows, maybe a different brand of bottle would've yield better results!
Try again with something soft that fills the ports completely. Maybe balled-up socks, or even rolled-up undershirts. (I've used the latter for a sub; with my 8 NFM II's I've only used the stock foam Tannoy port bungs.)

What you report makes me infer that the ports were still leaky, leading to mistuning.
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DMTII View Post
Try again with something soft that fills the ports completely. Maybe balled-up socks, or even rolled-up undershirts. (I've used the latter for a sub; with my 8 NFM II's I've only used the stock foam Tannoy port bungs.)

What you report makes me infer that the ports were still leaky, leading to mistuning.
Thanks for the tip! I ill try it. :¬) The vitamin bottles looked unsightly anyway!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search