Do Speakers wear out over time?
New Reply
Subscribe
dan p
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Do Speakers wear out over time?

After lots of use do speakers wear out over long periods of usage?
How about power amps?Do they wear out too?

P
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Yes eventually

Like The Buddha said 2500 + yrs ago "All compounded things are impermanent"
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p View Post
After lots of use do speakers wear out over long periods of usage?
How about power amps?Do they wear out too?

P
Everything wears out, many gears need recapping, changing tubes or some other elements after a while.
In many cases monitors (if used daily) might require some job to be done after several years of use, but usually new models resolve this problem (I never kept monitors longer than 3 years due to acquiring new or better).
On the other hands, if used sparingly (weekend warriors) I believe most gears will live quite long. High quality power conditioners and climate/humidity control are best friends of studio gear.
dan p
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Everything wears out, many gears need recapping, changing tubes or some other elements after a while.
In many cases monitors (if used daily) might require some job to be done after several years of use, but usually new models resolve this problem (I never kept monitors longer than 3 years due to acquiring new or better).
On the other hands, if used sparingly (weekend warriors) I believe most gears will live quite long. High quality power conditioners and climate/humidity control are best friends of studio gear.
Thanks Gyang.Like i thought.

P
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
member no 666

Speakers have a mechanical element... all things mechanical wear out over time. There are things that combat that wear... like woofers made of Kevlar®, etc... but all things mechanical will wear out over time... from car engines to the switches in 40 year old mic pre modules.

CN Fletcher

Professional Affiliation:

R/E/P Professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Gear nut

Yup. I recently had to replace a woofer on one of my KRK V6s I use to monitor my DJ set-up. After five years of use, the coil began to unwind, leading to annoying low frequency buzzing. It happens.
25th January 2008
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Talked to Tom Hidley once and he recommended that i change the ribbon tweeters on the TADs i had every 12 months!
Actually, used the NS 10's way more than the TAD's which were relegated to hideously expensive client pleasers...(FM acoustic amps!!)
NS 10 tweeters have blown out on me a few times.. the rubber mounting on one of a set of Tannoy soffit woofers developed a tear..and i must admit to not having noticed for a few days.
But best of all was using a pair of JBL control 5's that had been stored in the attic for more than 2 years.. they appeared to be in perfect condition, but upon "pumping it up" (as you Americans like to say) the woofer mounting shattered and sprayed shards of brittle rubber across the room.
And don't let cats anywhere near uncovered auratones..there's something about the smell of the glue that hits them like catnip...scratch..scratch.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search