pedals, buffers
New Reply
Subscribe
music321
16th January 2008
Old 16th January 2008
Gear Head

pedals, buffers

I have noise and loss of tone when stringing pedals together. What if I were to remove the buffers from the pedals? are the buffers just opamp chips that could be replaced with resistors?

then, after all this, put a buffer before the chain? I suggest this because it is suggested here: True Bypass or Not?

that:

The measurements that were made for this article have revealed that it is not problem in practice to chain together numerous true bypass pedals. You really won't hear any difference if you use good quality guitar cables and jumpers. A buffer can be put to good use to drive long lines but combinations of pedals from different manufacturers can be a problem, especially if you have an old vintage pedal that is not true bypass. Having a buffer in each pedal circuit may be correct one problem while introducing noise and distortion.
16th January 2008
Old 16th January 2008
Lives for gear

It's not always easy or possible to convert a pedal to true-bypass. I can tell by your question that you wouldn't be able to do this. You would be best to go to Analogman or Keely, or other pedal experts who regularly modify pedals to make them quieter or true-bypass.

If it's for recording, if you don't intend to use the pedal, don't plug it into the chain.

Some of the worse offenders are cheap eq and compressor pedals. For recording, you probably don't want to use these at all - use some serious studio hardware, or even plugins will be better than most of these.

For live? Does your amp have an effects loop? Inserting them at line level means their self noise won't get as much gain as inserting them right at the front end. For live, I think digital solutions have a place. EQ and compression, and automating/saving gain structures are things that digital can do fairly quietly - use them as the front end to a tube amp. Works for the Edge.

You could make a custom pedal board with your own switches, to bypass noisy pedals when you don't want them.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search