Lightpipe to AES/EBU?
New Reply
Subscribe
DanGo
14th January 2008
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Lightpipe to AES/EBU?

Can anybody suggest a way to connect a computer's lightpipe out (Mac G5 Quad) to a Dangerous D-Box AES/EBU in? I don't want to get too fancy; just simple and functional. And this is not for mixing or tracking purposes, just for listening to non-ProTools audio sources while I'm in the middle of a ProTools mix...

Last edited by DanGo; 14th January 2008 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: clarification
14th January 2008
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
I don't think there is a cheap way to do it as you couldn't just use a cable since it's lightpipe to aes. If your mac has a spdif out you can get a cable made to convert to aes. Other options include the RME ADI4 DD, albeit more expensive.
DanGo
14th January 2008
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks. The Mac doesn't have spdif, unfortunately.

But I have seen the RME and wondered if that would make sense.

If I go down that route, then I'm completing the system as I envision it: Digi 002 Rack to AD/DA converter/clock to D-Box and back again.

So, as often happens at GearSlutz, I "have" to buy more gear! hee hee

But it brings up more questions for me. Would the RME ADI4 DD be appropriate for bringing 8 outs from ProTools into the D-Box?

And how does the quality of RME's stuff compare to Apogee's?
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

THe Dbox has 8 channels so if you wanted to sum 8 channels that would take up a whole ADi4 (you need dsub for this I believe) or ADI8 DD and wouldn't leave you room to go with a discrete master out to the Dbox's AES DA converter.. You could sacrifice one summing channel. I use RME stuff and I am happy with the quality for the money. THe ADI DD boxes are all digital so there are no ADA converters so quality isn't really an issue either. I have had no problems with mine. I got my ADI's on ebay for significantly cheaper.

If you can find one of those old Alesis adat to aes format converters that would be a lot cheaper than the ADI's.
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

I just bought my RME ADI 4 -DD a couple of weeks ago on ebay with an AES snake for about $500 to use between my Hedd 192 and my HD24XR ....It works great.....Alesis used to make the AI-4 AES/EBU to lightpipe interface but that is now discontinued.....so far my RME conversion box is doing its job albeit a bit pricey just for that conversion purpose.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to DigitMus
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Have you browsed the classifieds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGo View Post
Can anybody suggest a way to connect a computer's lightpipe out (Mac G5 Quad) to a Dangerous D-Box AES/EBU in? I don't want to get too fancy; just simple and functional. And this is not for mixing or tracking purposes, just for listening to non-ProTools audio sources while I'm in the middle of a ProTools mix...
The M-audio CO3 box will do the trick, methinks:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...lean-down.html

there, that's my good deed for today.
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Gear interested

Send a message via Skype™ to StuckInThe70s
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

There you go!
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Gear Head

If you're planning on using the CO2, be sure the lightpipe signal you're trying to convert is in optical S/PDIF format. If it's ADAT lightpipe, you'll need something like the ADI-4 DD or the ADI-192 DD. Note also that the ADI-4 DD had only 4 AES outs via D-sub and one AES XLR out. The ADI-192 has 4 AES XLR outs covering 8 channels.
DanGo
15th January 2008
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks, Gang! I think the M-Audio will do the trick for bringing in audio sources I do not want to sum. Yes, the Mac G5 Quad has spdif, but it is optical.

I emailed with Dangerous Music and apparently, for summing (I think...perhaps I misunderstood), I can use an RCA/SPDIF to AES cable out of my Digi Rack 002 and into the D-Box.

I'm still a little fuzzy on that one. Currently, I'm using Mogami cabling (d-sub to 8 1/4" trs plugs) for summing. It already makes a difference. Of course, being a gear slut means trying all the options til you find the best one for you and that means buying more stuff!! ;-)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search