Login / Register

Johnny Cash and June Carter studio Vocal Mics?
New Reply
Subscribe
darkwavo
30th November 2007
Old 30th November 2007
Gear addict

Johnny Cash and June Carter studio Vocal Mics?

Anyone have any info on studio vocal mics they used in the period when they were making records together? I hear U47, but maybe a ribbon too?
thanks
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
Gear maniac

they tried lots of stuff with johnny cash.i'm no expert,but..you can hear it alot in his music......that old school shure with the grill that looks like a 57 Chevy.......your probably right about the 47...sounds like a cheap way to get that vibe is an re20 but a fine tube mic would work great on most of his stuff.....hope someone who really knows this issue better chimes in to inform us of the deal.......last year i talked to a guy in Cleveland who worked in a Nashville studio.........he was saying at least one of johnny's songs were recorded with a cb mic......everybodys gotta have a nice coffin shaped 50 dollar cb radio mic with the curly cable i guess....i prefer soup can telephones,paper towel rolls and aluminum foil,myself,,,but the cb mics are cool................you can have the mic modified to an xlr..........but how often do you want to apeal to the hearts of truckers is the question .......convoy baby........bless the truckers,,,,they bring our gear........ i hear trent reznor tried the cb radio mic trick as well..........
darkwavo
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
Gear addict

Junes Carter's vocals from that time have that fabric texture of a great ribbon. wonder which one it is.
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

Most likely U67

Ribbons were pretty much out of favor in Nashville by then.
1st December 2007
Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

Dig around on this site:

Cash Cabin Studio

There is an interview with their son, and engineer, producer, and musician, on Youtube that you can access from the home page. He talks about recording his folks. You could also send him an email and ask as he seems pretty open about sharing info.

Cheers,
--
Don
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search