New Reply
Subscribe
Spall
27th November 2007
Old 27th November 2007
Gear maniac

UA 2-1176 or Studio Electroncs C2?

Hi all

If you were to choose out of the above for a multi-application compressor for tracking and mixing (various instruments, voice and styles), which would be your preference?

Oh...a Chandler TG2 pre is what will be used before it 99% of the time.

Lend me your thoughts!
27th November 2007
Old 27th November 2007
Gear nut

Two years ago I was trying to decide between those two comps. I ended up going with the Studio Electronics C2s. I've been happy with it. It's been years since I've used an 1176. Someday I will have one of those two, but in the meantime....

It's worked well for me on many sources; vox, acoustic gtr, clean electric gtr, drum stuff. My only gripe is that it isn't always quick to set up for stereo use (but I'm building a Gyraff SSL for that). I use tones to help set my levels for stereo applications.

I like the sound of the C2s. I think I chose it over the 2-1176 cuz I liked the idea of the Neve output driver. The "squash" ratio setting does the all buttons thing well. I find that I hardly use the 20:1 setting. The attack is pretty fast too, I seem to ride it between 12 o'clcok and the slowest possible.

I'd love an 1176 (or two) at some point but I think my next comp purchase would be the API 2500 (after I finish my GSSLs).

Oh yeah, I mostly use API 512 pres (sometimes Hardy and Chameleon Labs 7602)

Last edited by Karl J; 27th November 2007 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: wante to add something
27th November 2007
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

The C2s is very cool, I have used it and dig it! Think of an 1176lln getting prego by a Neve 1272.
Spall
27th November 2007
Old 27th November 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl J View Post
My only gripe is that it isn't always quick to set up for stereo use
Cheers, Karl. I'll be recording acoustic piano in stereo often, so this ability is a must for whichever way I go. Not having used either, it's not an easy pick! PLUS...there is little info out there including reviews on the C2. Many say it does the 1176 well, perhaps the real thing is better. But then again, the versatility of some Neve coloration (if it does that well) would be handy.

Hmmm...
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Gear nut

It will do stereo stuff just fine, it just takes a little more work to set it up. It's not like using a dedicated stereo compressor. I use it on drum overheads and it works great.

Personally, I really like the sound of the C2s.

It's also built like a tank!
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

This may sound a little stoopid, but the C2s is only 1-rack space and that seems like a bonus to me.
Follow me on TWITTER!

WWJMD?

Come see me on the Tape Op boards!

It's only inches on the reel to reel
Spall
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
Gear maniac

decision made

Hi guys - thanks for the words.

Today I went off track and purchased an Aurora GTC2. I would say that I'm going out on a limb, but really - how could I not, it has been talked up to me today by several people and was convinced I could not go wrong. That I'll find out soon I hope!
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
This may sound a little stoopid, but the C2s is only 1-rack space and that seems like a bonus to me.
and it is the tits on electric guitars. Proud Owner Here.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search