I've still got around $3000 wannanother mic
r0ck1r0ck2
20th November 2007
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

I've still got around $3000 wannanother mic

so i'll just list the LDC and SDCs here.

Gefell um900
Soundeluxe u195
Beyer mc834
Oktava 319
and quite a few Cad m179's

the SDC list is considerably shorter.
2 Km54's

there's also 4 ribbons and just a shitton of dynamics in the bag, so i'm not really in need there.

do let me know.
20th November 2007
Old 20th November 2007
I'd try a Wunder CM7-GT...I haven't tried the Bock Audio stuff, but I've heard good things about it...
r0ck1r0ck2
20th November 2007
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

that's definitely the way i'm leaning, but i don't know how close to the u47ish sound i'll come with the gefell.
20th November 2007
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

You could look into a Josephson e22S or two. Some excellent microphonery in that little package. They take a brutal amount of SPL and are versatile enough to be pointed at pretty much anything you could want to record. They respond to transients wonderfully and are absolutely great for anything percussive, but also add a nice tonal quality to things like guitar amplifiers and stringed instruments as well.

I usually end up pulling one out no matter what kind of session I'm doing. This past weekend it handled a loud, low pitched Yamaha snare drum (Tons of snap, accurate "ring", and GREAT hi-hat rejection with some careful placement). The week before that it was in front of an Oahu guitar amp for overdubs. During last night's preproduction session it was a spot mic for an acoustic guitar/vocal performance about 3 feet away and absolutely nailed it.

And, though you may have a fair amount of ribbons already, you might want to look into the newest offering from Crowley & Tripp, the "el Diablo" Mercenary Edition. It's the first mic built with Roswellite, the new indestructible (seriously) ribbon material invented and patented by my favorite Massachusetts Mad Scientists. Classic ribbon tone, but tough enough to live inside a kick drum and void of any phantom power and sagging issues previously associated with ribbon mics. It's got modern high output and plays nicely with any mic pre. It's also another one of those microphones that is capable of keeper tracks on any source. Do a search for the music video. You'll find it.
r0ck1r0ck2
20th November 2007
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

mmmmaybe.
nah,
i'm really looking for another LDC to compliment the gefell, u195
a money vocal mic.

perhaps a km56?

anyone?
20th November 2007
Old 20th November 2007
Gear maniac

My Favorite is the Manley Reference Cardioid, if you want tube smoothness with lots of sparkle on the top end. That's been my go-to mic in absence of a vintage U67 or Elam 251. Not as harsh as the C800.
20th November 2007
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

I'd probably get a Bock 151 and a Shure SM7b.
20th November 2007
Old 20th November 2007
Jai guru deva om

My main man in Barcelona.

Dude, try the RED system. There's a silly amount of versatility there for you and the sound is excellent. R6, R7, R4, R0, R8...those capsules cover so much ground it's frightening.

Just a thought...

War
21st November 2007
Old 21st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd try a Wunder CM7-GT...I haven't tried the Bock Audio stuff, but I've heard good things about it...
+1
r0ck1r0ck2
21st November 2007
Old 21st November 2007
Lives for gear

dear lord that wunder looks mighty.

i don't suppose anyone has made a comparison betwixt the um900 (m7) and the Wunder (m7)

and i have to ask this, how does the glass tube compare to the metal tube.

i thank you all for the advice.
21st November 2007
Old 21st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionaut View Post
My Favorite is the Manley Reference Cardioid, if you want tube smoothness with lots of sparkle on the top end. That's been my go-to mic in absence of a vintage U67 or Elam 251. Not as harsh as the C800.
No question the Manley Reference Cardiod is THE MONEYMAKER !!

Scott Stapp just demo'ed one & kept it. Ask to demo one ...you wont give it back either
21st November 2007
Old 21st November 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I'd probably get a Bock 151 and a Shure SM7b.
my thoughts exactly..
21st November 2007
Old 21st November 2007
Gear interested

Another vote for the CM7-GT! I just got mine last night. Love it!

Nick :]
21st November 2007
Old 21st November 2007
Lives for gear

I'm with Warren on the RED system. For 3 grand you can put together a body and a few capsules that will cover a LOT of ground. They were having a pretty cool promotion recently...
21st November 2007
Old 21st November 2007
The Red is a good mic - I had the Type B with the B6 and B7. The B6 is supposedly the C12 rendition - and it sounded really good. Didn't work for my voice, but it was really nice. I thought the B7 (the 47 attempt) was a little squirrelly...I really didn't care for it that much. It's less than half the price of the GT, but to me, the B7 sounded like it.
22nd November 2007
Old 22nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck1r0ck2 View Post
dear lord that wunder looks mighty. i don't suppose anyone has made a comparison betwixt the um900 (m7) and the Wunder (m7)
The UM900 is significantly brighter than the M7 GT, and the Wunder has more coloration. They are very different mics.

Quote:
and i have to ask this, how does the glass tube compare to the metal tube.
In general the regular CM7 EF-14 has (IMO) a little more depth and takes EQ a little better than the GT's...of course the GT's are still damn fine professional mics (there are about a million sound files on Gearslutz now). Capsule and transformer make a huge part of the quality from what I can tell.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search