What's that one Mic you just love or would love to own
17th June 2007
Old 17th June 2007
Lives for gear

Whatever happened to that LDC with the wooden casing that Bruce Swedien was supposed to have helped design?
17th June 2007
Old 17th June 2007
Gear interested

i already own a vmx and a m147....

the 'one' for me is after ive heard it the c800g with a 1073 pre... mhhhhhhh
17th June 2007
Old 17th June 2007
Gear addict

sony c800
17th June 2007
Old 17th June 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by idee und klang View Post
Yes it is often heard that all U47 sound total different. That's not true from my experience. Mostly if they sound too different, they are badly serviced. Well serviced U47 sound very close to each other. Of course one has to know, that there are two possible capsules, M7 and K47. Obviously a M7 U47 sounds different than a K47-U47. But thats normal, if you have a bottle Mic and change the capsule it is also a different mic. Then there are PVC and Poliester M7. There is a difference between the too, but not so big. If the Tube is replaced by whatever other tube, ok, then it also sounds different. But that too is normal imo, as the tube is one factor. Finally there are 3 kinds of Trafos, and they all sound a little different. I have four U47, and work with many different U47 in other Studios. All are perfectly serviced, and sound as U47 has to sound like. I have to short body U47, stereo matched, and they sound as close to each other as 2 Brauner VM1 with close Sn's. I have a very old longbody U47 (nr. 300) and a shortbody (around sn. 5000), and while they do not sound exactly the same (because of the different trafo) they are extremly close. The important thing is, that those baby's gets serviced very well. Like with an old car.

To me the U47 is the holley grail. They are so sexy sounding...

That one mic that I wish to have though would be 2 Didrick's...

Daniel
www.ideeundklang.com

Ain't that the truth.....hence..mine is off for some servicing next week! LMAO! I dunno though...I've played with several 47's(maybe somethin was up with them and also mine)...and still....my unmodified U67 is hard to beat to my ears. The 47 gets all the attention...but to to me the U67 is the ugly stepsister who gets dressed up for the party and all of a sudden looks like a million bucks! Like Oh sh!t where has she been all my life? LMAO!!! I guess i dig ugly chicks! hahahahaha

dennis
17th June 2007
Old 17th June 2007
Lives for gear

I need another SM57...
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Lives for gear

Why are a bunch of people here saying they want mics in current production?

Just buy them.

The mics long out of production such as U47, M49/50, M221, ELAM251, U67, 269, 367 are much more highly sought after than a mic made now. There is a reason. The reason is that they sound better than mics made now.

What really makes me laugh is the people citing that they want a currently made Royer mic. Order it today! Don't act like it's rare.

The mic is the most important thing you will bring to the session. Buy the best today.

old mics I want: M221B
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Gear maniac

+1 for the Gefell UM 75
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Gear Head

Neumann M269c
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

The mics long out of production such as U47, M49/50, M221, ELAM251, U67, 269, 367 are much more highly sought after than a mic made now. There is a reason. The reason is that they sound better than mics made now.
Vintage-mania added some effects to all that.
Today it's almost (well it doesn't mean absolutely) impossible to get for example U47 in perfect condition (without being modified with some parts replacing those that are virtually no existing anymore). Wagner U47 that is in current production is IMO 'arguably better (finer sounding)' mic that ANY vintage U47 out of couple of dozens I had opportunity to try.
Some other mics as Wunder and Brauner are at least similary great (or better) than best mics done in the past, so if one cannot buy excellent mic from current production, than problem lies somewhere else.
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Gear Head

I can`t believe that vintage mics are the best mics. Some of them have a noise floor that makes it impossible to use them for some applications. On the other hand it is hard to find a good sounding new mic. Perhaps the Wagner U47 is one, but I yet haven`t heard this babe.
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Gear nut

If civilization broke down and I had to record it, I would keep a 441 at my side. Also good for whacking those mutants!
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Gear maniac

For me it would be the mic that paul mccartney recorded yesterday with. Not one like it but the one that that song was recorded with. It probably wouldn't work as well as my soundelux 251 for my voice, but just to be a materialistic bastard in possession of the front end to, for me, the perfect pop song/recording...
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Why are a bunch of people here saying they want mics in current production?

Just buy them.

What really makes me laugh is the people citing that they want a currently made Royer mic. Order it today! Don't act like it's rare.
Hilarious! It must be great to be stinkin' rich.

I would think of a R121 as a VERY expensive mic. That's the one I'd get if I could. There are certainly others classics that would be fantastic, but I LOVE 121's and they work so well for so many things.
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaldo View Post
Hilarious! It must be great to be stinkin' rich.

I would think of a R121 as a VERY expensive mic. That's the one I'd get if I could. There are certainly others classics that would be fantastic, but I LOVE 121's and they work so well for so many things.
Sorry, sir, I'm a grown ass man who does not apologize for doing big ass work. I am simply someone who chooses tools according to sound quality only. I am biased towards older tube mics.

Yes, I am surprised at some of the choices in this thread.
It is, ultimately, not my business what someone chooses to use.

I never worry about other people when pursuing my recording work. I just do what I do and have done for 26 years. The results speak for themselves.

I love:
old--M50, M221B
new--MKH 800, M222

We own all of the above and, along with major talented people and good halls these tools allow big ass vacations, big ass fast cars, big ass houses and a major fuggin' sound. Also beautiful wife and family. So fug ya. It's happening and I credit partly the well chosen tools. Fug ya!

If it is needed and justified, it is purchased. End of story.
Professionals only need apply.

Last edited by Plush; 18th June 2007 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: not enuf fug
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Lives for gear

PLUSH has some attitude there....
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Gear addict

Aside from the slight attitude he's got a point...you've gotta have the best tools, sure there are cheaper mics or copies but what can replace an all original perfect M50?
I would add that one to my list

A 221b shouldnt be to hard to locate...I guess the collar and capsules are harder
to find in nice condition.
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

Neumann U-47 longbody chrome top

or

Neumann U-67

or

Neumann U-87 (Klaus Heyne mod)
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

Hmm... there's no way I can get it down to just 1 mic - there are 4 I have now that you'd have to pry out of my cold, dead fingers:

Microtech Gefell UM75
Microtech Gefell UM900
Brauner VMA
Brauner VM1-KHE

There are a bunch more I'd really hate to lose, but the 4 above just add a couple of % points above "excellent" for my purposes.

Scott
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
AKG C24 valve stereo mic with swivel capsules
SK1
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, sir, I'm a grown ass man who does not apologize for doing big ass work. I am simply someone who chooses tools according to sound quality only. I am biased towards older tube mics.

Yes, I am surprised at some of the choices in this thread.
It is, ultimately, not my business what someone chooses to use.

I never worry about other people when pursuing my recording work. I just do what I do and have done for 26 years. The results speak for themselves.
HA HA !!!!

"grown ass man" ........ that's one of our favorite sayings here ! LOL

You are coming off as rather cocky. Sooooooo .......... why not post some links to your work, and let " the results speak for themselves ".

Surely, you must know that coming off as cocky as you do with no links to credits or actual sounds ............. well, it reeks of BS.

I don't hear any results speaking right now.

19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
for me that'd be a tossup between a 44 and a 67.

gregoire
del
ubk
I'll second that.
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 View Post
HA HA !!!!

"grown ass man" ........ that's one of our favorite sayings here ! LOL

You are coming off as rather cocky. Sooooooo .......... why not post some links to your work, and let " the results speak for themselves ".

Surely, you must know that coming off as cocky as you do with no links to credits or actual sounds ............. well, it reeks of BS.

I don't hear any results speaking right now.

I'm glad we have something in common with the grown ass man language. That's probably the only thing we have in common. You seem silly when you call for me to direct your attention to a list that you will understand.
I'm not always as rankled as I was this AM after reading about people wanting heavily advertised mics. ( I simply feel that sometimes the demand is created.)

You assert that my attitude and accomplishments must mean I'm a liar. (you said BS) Sir, I have nothing to prove. As I said above, I don't pay any attention to what other people are saying or doing. I merely go about making recordings which so far this year have garnered my work several prizes and increased recognition. (Deutscher Shallplattenkritiker, Grammy for Best Classical Vocal where I was the producer and engineer and Diapason D'Or from France) These bring endorsements and increased fees which feed my high life (pimped ride etc.) lifestyle.

When's the last time you were pimped or greased and released?

I"m sure you're a decent fellow, but you show yourself up because you have no manners or decorum.

Sir, I'm good humored and fun at a barbeque. But I don't have anything to prove and I don't post any laundry lists of work. Check the usual reference lists on the internet and you'll see long lists of my material.

As for the mics, I don't go in for the cult of personality or guru tweakers. They are totally unnecessary, except in Hell-A where you live. I go for the German govt. funded research which outspent modern individual efforts by magnitudes of 1000's. It's very clear that this R&D effort in the 1950's produced results that are highly laudable.

There are some modern descendants of the fathers of this research and their work is also to be sought after and lauded.
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
...You assert that my attitude and accomplishments must mean I'm a liar. (you said BS) Sir, I have nothing to prove. As I said above, I don't pay any attention to what other people are saying or doing. I merely go about making recordings which so far this year have garnered my work several prizes and increased recognition. (Deutscher Shallplattenkritiker, Grammy for Best Classical Vocal where I was the producer and engineer and Diapason D'Or from France) These bring endorsements and increased fees which feed my high life (pimped ride etc.) lifestyle.

I"m sure you're a decent fellow, but you show yourself up because you have no manners or decorum.

Sir, I'm good humored and fun at a barbeque. But I don't have anything to prove and I don't post any laundry lists of work. Check the usual reference lists on the internet and you'll see long lists of my material.

As for the mics, I don't go in for the cult of personality or guru tweakers. They are totally unnecessary, except in Hell-A where you live. I go for the German govt. funded research which outspent modern individual efforts by magnitudes of 1000's. It's very clear that this R&D effort in the 1950's produced results that are highly laudable.

There are some modern descendants of the fathers of this research and their work is also to be sought after and lauded.
Plush, you earn my Hero of the Day Award for Unashamed Self-Assuredness Needing No Justification Whatsoever.

Congratulations.

Cheers to you,

bdp
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

Am I the only one here who loves an RCA 77DX on just about everything?
SK1
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:

LMAO !!!

WTF Plush. That's a freaky question man ........

I'm not saying your a liar. I'm saying your words would have more weight if you outed yourself, so we could put your statements in perspective.

OK fine ....... you're a player ...... you've got game ......... whatever, I get it.

Play on, player.

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search