Need Recommendations on a 4 ch. Pre Setup
chrisrulesmore
Thread Starter
#1
10th May 2007
Old 10th May 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
chrisrulesmore's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 888

Thread Starter
Need Recommendations on a 4 ch. Pre Setup

I'm looking to add another 4 channels to my current setup of 2 x Chandler Germanium Preamps and 1 x Great River ME-1NV.

So far I'm looking at the following options:

Wunder PA Four 4 ch. Pre

API 3124 4 ch. Pre

Seventh Circle Audio with one each of the API, Neve, John Hardy, and Millenia clone modules

API Lunchbox w/
A Designs P1
API 512c
Shadow Hills Mono Gama
?

Of the four options, the API and the Seventh Circle seem to be the cheapest. There is a guy on ebay who is selling fully assembled SCA setups who seems to have a great track record. Obviously, the idea of having four different sounds as opposed to 4 of the same is appealing.

The lunchbox seems like a cool notion, but it really isn't that great of a deal when you break out the cost per channel. I really don't think I could afford more than three channels.

As for what I'll be using them for, I suppose I would like to be able to track two guitars, bass, vox, and a drum kit (minimal micing obviously) all at once. Style of music is indie rock and some solo acoustic/vox stuff on occasion. My Chandlers are pretty untouchable on guitar (as well as kick and snare!), and the Great River sounds pretty killer on bass. I still don't have what I feel to be a killer vocal pre, though the Chandler excels over the Great River here as well. So I'm looking at something that will work on the drumkit, but might be a step up on vocals as well. Tall order, right?

Let me know what you think...

-Chris
#2
10th May 2007
Old 10th May 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Daedalus77's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,749
My Recordings/Credits

Oh, Geez. Here we go again.

I predict...

60% of responders will say the API, which is great bang-for-buck—not just in number of high-quality preamps in one unit, but because they're great all-rounders.

10% of responders will say Wunder, perhaps less, because fewer folks here have heard them. But this contingent will be nearly fanatical about the unique (boutique) tone of the Wunder.

20% of responders will claim getting a 500-form rack and slowly building it up with various preamps (and EQ and comps) is the best, most versatile, and—ultimately—most cost-effective route.

10% will say the habit of getting a million different preamps is a falacious (and uniquely American) tendency and you should just get more of what you've got and call it a day.

These figures may be wrong, as I'm usually wrong. But we'll see...
chrisrulesmore
Thread Starter
#3
10th May 2007
Old 10th May 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
chrisrulesmore's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 888

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
Oh, Geez. Here we go again.

I predict...

60% of responders will say the API, which is great bang-for-buck—not just in number of high-quality preamps in one unit, but because they're great all-rounders.

10% of responders will say Wunder, perhaps less, because fewer folks here have heard them. But this contingent will be nearly fanatical about the unique (boutique) tone of the Wunder.

20% of responders will claim getting a 500-form rack and slowly building it up with various preamps (and EQ and comps) is the best, most versatile, and—ultimately—most cost-effective route.

10% will say the habit of getting a million different preamps is a falacious (and uniquely American) tendency and you should just get more of what you've got and call it a day.

These figures may be wrong, as I'm usually wrong. But we'll see...
Sorry, didn't realize this was not a legitimate thread...we can go ahead and resume a 30 page debate on which high-end converter totally 'blows away' all other high-end converters...

Seriously, I know there are a lot of 'recommend something' threads out there, but most of us don't have the luxury of trying out four or five different options and must unfortunately solicit feedback from others on this board.

-Chris
#4
10th May 2007
Old 10th May 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
in the red's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: austria
Posts: 526

just go with the api and be happy
#5
10th May 2007
Old 10th May 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Dave Peck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: S.F bay area
Posts: 2,374

If you want four channels of the same pre then Daking is another option.

DP
#6
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
  #6
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 433

You forgot GML. They make a great pre.
#7
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
NathanEldred's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: West Coast Central Florida
Posts: 8,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
Oh, Geez. Here we go again.

I predict...

60% of responders will say the API, which is great bang-for-buck—not just in number of high-quality preamps in one unit, but because they're great all-rounders.

10% of responders will say Wunder, perhaps less, because fewer folks here have heard them. But this contingent will be nearly fanatical about the unique (boutique) tone of the Wunder.

20% of responders will claim getting a 500-form rack and slowly building it up with various preamps (and EQ and comps) is the best, most versatile, and—ultimately—most cost-effective route.

10% will say the habit of getting a million different preamps is a falacious (and uniquely American) tendency and you should just get more of what you've got and call it a day.

These figures may be wrong, as I'm usually wrong. But we'll see...

Vintech 473 is a pretty essential 4 banger IMO...and it complements the Chandlers and the Great River very well since all three are quite different.
#8
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
  #8
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 160

I just got an API 3124 and it's great. It really depends on your budget. I sold a Sytek to get the API and I'm not sorry one bit. I also have a Great River ME-1NV and it works well with it. The Great River is a little thicker, but I think I could deal with just the API. You should just get one, if you don't like it they hold their value well.
#9
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
  #9
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: columbia sc
Posts: 254

daking buy it
#10
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
  #10
Gear nut
 
paulbystereo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Orange, CA

I'm going to go ahead and chime in for the 60% - get the API 3124+ It will be a nice complement to what you have and it's a fantastic value!!! I've got 8 channels and I <i> love</i> them!!!
#11
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Audio Hombre's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,901

Sorry, but I'm confused. You say you want different flavours (SCA) yet list Wunder's PA4? This pre would have a similar vibe to what you have now.

You already have 3 channels of color, so depending on your needs desires and prefs, it depends I guess but I think you should look at something a little more neutral in there, so maybe an SCA rack with 2x's C84 and 2 x's A12 would be perfect. Or, go for one of each: 1x: C84,J99,A12 and N72. You'll have plenty of tonal options now but if it was me, I think I'd start building that 8 rack space in pr's as I like to have pr's of pre's. Too bad you didn't have the 2NV.

Then again...

Quote:
I suppose I would like to be able to track two guitars, bass, vox, and a drum kit (minimal micing obviously) all at once.
In this case, I really think you should get the PA4 or 3124. You should have 4 ch's of solid punchy pre's for your drums, at least.
#12
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
NathanEldred's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: West Coast Central Florida
Posts: 8,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
Sorry, but I'm confused. You say you want different flavours (SCA) yet list Wunder's PA4? This pre would have a similar vibe to what you have now.

The Wunder doesn't sound like the Great River or the Germaniums (which is what he has now).
#13
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
  #13
Solid State Logic
 
Jim@SSL's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 1,739

Alpha VHD pre?

Shipping started today thumbsup

Forgive the blatant plug......tutt
#14
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
  #14
Gear addict
 
Barilla's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 345

#15
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
  #15
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Boston,MA Providence,RI
Posts: 16,756

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the red View Post
just go with the api and be happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildub View Post
I just got an API 3124 and it's great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbystereo View Post
I'm going to go ahead and chime in for the 60% - get the API 3124+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
I really think you should get the PA4 or 3124. You should have 4 ch's of solid punchy pre's for your drums, at least.
Notice a trend... This is a no-brainer, the API is the best value, and sells used for almost exactly the same price as a new one. You can't loose with the 3124+.... even if decided you didn't want it anymore, you could get your money back... even years from now.

There's a reason it is one of the most popular pieces in audio...
#16
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
Oh, Geez. Here we go again.

I predict...

60% of responders will say the API, which is great bang-for-buck—not just in number of high-quality preamps in one unit, but because they're great all-rounders.

10% of responders will say Wunder, perhaps less, because fewer folks here have heard them. But this contingent will be nearly fanatical about the unique (boutique) tone of the Wunder.

20% of responders will claim getting a 500-form rack and slowly building it up with various preamps (and EQ and comps) is the best, most versatile, and—ultimately—most cost-effective route.

10% will say the habit of getting a million different preamps is a falacious (and uniquely American) tendency and you should just get more of what you've got and call it a day.

These figures may be wrong, as I'm usually wrong. But we'll see...


Yes you're right on the money there with those satistics, but the API 3124+ for the reasons you describe is the way to go. I have the 3124+ also 2 x API Lunch box full of different modules (other brands), also different rank pres. You won't regret getting 3124+.

Nic
chrisrulesmore
Thread Starter
#17
15th May 2007
Old 15th May 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
chrisrulesmore's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 888

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Notice a trend... This is a no-brainer, the API is the best value, and sells used for almost exactly the same price as a new one. You can't loose with the 3124+.... even if decided you didn't want it anymore, you could get your money back... even years from now.

There's a reason it is one of the most popular pieces in audio...
Thanks for the response guys. On your collective recommendation I ordered a 3124 yesterday from my local dealer. I really really wanted to do a lunchbox type setup as I still don't have what I would call a great vocal channel, but no matter how I figured it, the lunchbox option would have cost an extra 600-700 bucks which could be put towards something else.

With the arrival of the API, I'll be up to 7 channels of high-end pres. As soon as I can swing it I'm going to ditch the 1 ch. Great River for a 2 ch. Pacifica for overheads and vocals leaving me with a pretty well rounded 8 ch. setup.

Til next time...

-Chris
#18
16th May 2007
Old 16th May 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 661

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
Thanks for the response guys. On your collective recommendation I ordered a 3124 yesterday from my local dealer. I really really wanted to do a lunchbox type setup as I still don't have what I would call a great vocal channel, but no matter how I figured it, the lunchbox option would have cost an extra 600-700 bucks which could be put towards something else.

With the arrival of the API, I'll be up to 7 channels of high-end pres. As soon as I can swing it I'm going to ditch the 1 ch. Great River for a 2 ch. Pacifica for overheads and vocals leaving me with a pretty well rounded 8 ch. setup.

Til next time...

-Chris
You're gathering a nice bunch of pres, but the only reason to sell a 1 channel Great River is so you can buy the 2 channel Great River. And get the Pacifica, too, of course, just get it later.
#19
16th May 2007
Old 16th May 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Audio Hombre's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,901

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
The Wunder doesn't sound like the Great River or the Germaniums (which is what he has now).
Please don't put words in my mouth. I said it has a similar vibe to other neve type pre's. That response was more directed to the fact that I thought he could use something in a cleaner vein, compared to what he already has. But reading again, I saw that he wants to track alt / indie bands off the floor as much as possible so the 3124 or PA4 were no brainers for that need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
You're gathering a nice bunch of pres, but the only reason to sell a 1 channel Great River is so you can buy the 2 channel Great River. And get the Pacifica, too, of course, just get it later.
I totally agree which is why I said this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
Too bad you didn't have the 2NV.
digibird is spot on imho. Don't feel compelled to ditch the GR for a Pacifica based on all the stellar press it gets around here. I've never used one but I have heard one and while I think it's a great buy, the GR is easily equally as valuable a tool. I have a lot of use with the GR 2NV and it's great, so 1 more channel, or sell the single and buy the 2NV and you're all set.

But anyways, good call on the 3124. It's a lock you'll love it for the stuff you're going to do.
#20
16th May 2007
Old 16th May 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
NathanEldred's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: West Coast Central Florida
Posts: 8,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
Please don't put words in my mouth. I said it has a similar vibe to other neve type pre's.

Right, and it's not really "similar".


Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
Wunder's PA4? This pre would have a similar vibe to what you have now.

He has a Germanium and a Great River 1NV...to my ears those two versus the Wunder, the Wunder is VERY different. So I was just expressing my opinion based on my own empirical reality.
chrisrulesmore
Thread Starter
#21
17th May 2007
Old 17th May 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
chrisrulesmore's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 888

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
You're gathering a nice bunch of pres, but the only reason to sell a 1 channel Great River is so you can buy the 2 channel Great River. And get the Pacifica, too, of course, just get it later.
Well I'll wait and see...I know it is blasphemous to say, but I've never been completely enamored with the Great River and this is the second one I've owned. It does sound incredible on bass, but I generally end up going with the Germanium on just about everything else.

-Chris
#22
17th May 2007
Old 17th May 2007
  #22
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
The Wunder doesn't sound like the Great River or the Germaniums (which is what he has now).
tick!... and just to try make up the predicted quota for Wunder loving fanatics... count me in. The Wunder is a whole lot of love.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
James Krumhansl / Low End Theory
6
Dopamine / Music Computers
8
littledog / So much gear, so little time!
3
loopitTOOstupid / So much gear, so little time!
8
houston / So much gear, so little time!
1

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.