Helios
New Reply
Subscribe
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
I had a studio in the '90s that had THAT console. 40x32x32 and encased in mahogany wood. It was a good desk! I also worked on the Rolling Stones Mobile on its FIRST ever US gig--Patti Smith Group@CBGB's--another awesome console!

Here's a "promo" poster for our studio. If you zoom in a little, you can kind of see "The Brown."
I had a friend who recorded and mixed a few tracks on that desk.. he loved it!

He mentioned it was the one from the 'Townhouse' studios in London and was responsible for the epochal 'In the air tonight' by Phil Collins and that infamous drum intro!

Thanks
Wiggy
16th May 2011
Old 16th May 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to tekis
"In The Air Tonight"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post

He mentioned it was the one from the 'Townhouse' studios in London and was responsible for the epochal 'In the air tonight' by Phil Collins and that infamous drum intro!

Thanks
Wiggy
Yes, Tony Arnold, a gentleman and previous owner of that desk, "Brown Helios", said the same thing. But I'm not too sure. It was at the Townhouse (3 or 4?/ Ramport) before Tony got it. Steve Lillywhite came and hung out after I got it and said "ITAT" was done on an SSL. I do know that PIL "Metal Box" was done on it though.

21st June 2011
Old 21st June 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to mastermix
"Brownie"

Quote:
I had a studio in the '90s that had THAT console. 40x32x32 and encased in mahogany wood. It was a good desk! I also worked on the Rolling Stones Mobile on its FIRST ever US gig--Patti Smith Group@CBGB's--another awesome console!

Here's a "promo" poster for our studio. If you zoom in a little, you can kind of see "The Brown."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post

Thanks
Wiggy
Quote:
Yes, Tony Arnold, a gentleman and previous owner of that desk, "Brown Helios", said the same thing. But I'm not too sure. It was at the Townhouse (3 or 4?/ Ramport) before Tony got it. Steve Lillywhite came and hung out after I got it and said "ITAT" was done on an SSL. I do know that PIL "Metal Box" was done on it though.
That sure looks like the Helios that now resides at Shorefire Recording in Long Branch, NJ... nicknamed "Brownie", the perfect centerpiece for my buddy Joe DeMaio's setup. This Type 79 replaced an MCI 636.

Here's a pic of me sitting in front of it:

Another view with my friend Thomas Jones:

Another good one:

30th June 2011
Old 30th June 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to tekis
Yes, it is the same console. But he took the wraparound wings off... It served us well though!
30th June 2011
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Does anyone know anything about the one that was sold from Lombard Sound in Dublin in 1984? Don Larking decommissioned that studio. A sad day it was.
5th July 2011
Old 5th July 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by concentric View Post
Well 6+1, actually.

RE-100
RE-101
RE-200
RE-201
RE-301
RE-501
Multivox MX-201 (a space echo at heart)

My 201 I bought when I was 17, I've had it for 10 years. It was one of the first gear purchases I made, and it's still my favorite.

The RE-100 and RE-200 are some of the earliest models, they look different from the later ones and use a Sony tape cartridge kinda thingie rather than a loop under plexiglas. The sound and echo times available are significantly different. Pic attached.

I have tons of accessories, too. Footswitches, cleaning kit, covers, service manual, etc.
AND I know a couple of bitchin' Space Echo techs, too. Kevin Lightner is one, and used to work for Roland in the service dept. If anyone needs one, get in touch, I'll give you the contact info.

Jason
cool list
28th July 2011
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech View Post
Does anyone know anything about the one that was sold from Lombard Sound in Dublin in 1984? Don Larking decommissioned that studio. A sad day it was.
lombard is now westland. the helios was replaced with an ssl e series. the live room is still the same. i love recording in there
28th July 2011
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
lombard is now westland. the helios was replaced with an ssl e series. the live room is still the same. i love recording in there
I know, I was the first full time staff engineer when Westland first opened. Give me the old Helios any day!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search