Aurora GTC2 compressor - excellent addition
New Reply
Subscribe
Mike H
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Lives for gear

Aurora GTC2 compressor - excellent addition

I just tried the Aurora GTC2 compressor this weekend, and it is a definite keeper for me.
I just thought I'd mention it, since I have seen very little posted here about this unit.

I compared it to my Neve 33609/JD.

The GTC2 is a meatier, bigger solid sound. Clearly the transformers are different.

I prefer the 33609/JD on the overheads..........a transformer "ring" that works nicely on hihats, etc.
But the GTC2 is a better fit for my parallel drum sub (kick/snare/toms). Tight and solid, blends in extremely well and adds some beef. Not gooy and thick........more dry and solid.

The two units are different.
Both are useful.

I haven't had time to play around with the options on the unit yet (combined compressors, etc).

Anybody else tried the GTC2?
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was thinking of getting one too - so this is helpful. What's it like on the 2 buss?
Mike H
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was thinking of getting one too - so this is helpful. What's it like on the 2 buss?
I didn't try it on the 2 buss.
I have the Shadow Hills comp on the 2 bus.....................I think Peter R. has taken over my 2 bus forever.
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I haven't had time to play around with the options on the unit yet (combined compressors, etc).

Anybody else tried the GTC2?
Yep. It kicks ass on vocals... Try the opto setting on the next vocal you track!

Awesome.

It's also very good on the 2 buss...
Gear Sales - High Profile Audio
Plugin Deals - PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Twitter: https://twitter.com/PluginDiscounts
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Lives for gear

What is the SRP on that little puppy ?
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Lives for gear

It's not showing up on his site yet

Not that it matters as it relates to sound, but do we have an pics yet ?

"I do use compressors/limiters but not for controlling dynamics, I use EQ for that!" Jp22 (damn I miss him)

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -- Will Durant, historian (1885-1981)

"I try to get a boom out of the bass drum, in one of my albums, my CD, boom, I try to get that big boom, I could not get a big boom, I paid bucks, and could not get the boom" - Recording Expert, Tad Donley
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
It's not showing up on his site yet

Not that it matters as it relates to sound, but do we have an pics yet ?
Hi There

Yes, it is on the site but rather buried in the Ask Geoff forums...

- A focus on our new Dual Compressor

We are still sorting out photos to upgrade our products page...

It uses totally different circuitry (including transformers!) to the 33609.

See us on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/auroraaudio
http://www.auroraaudio.net/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may1...off-tanner.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Window-Past-Ge...8737082&sr=1-9
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com

For quicker responses, please use my email (Geoff at auroraaudio.net) in preference to pm's and visitor messages!
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Gear maniac

same compressor as in GTQC channel strip?

Is the GTQC channel strip available yet for sale?
1st May 2007
Old 1st May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi There

Yes, it is on the site but rather buried in the Ask Geoff forums...

- A focus on our new Dual Compressor

We are still sorting out photos to upgrade our products page...

It uses totally different circuitry (including transformers!) to the 33609.

cool, thanks for the link. Is the dual compressor a stereo version of the compressor found in the GTQC ?

Any word on a street price ?
1st May 2007
Old 1st May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I didn't try it on the 2 buss.
I have the Shadow Hills comp on the 2 bus.....................I think Peter R. has taken over my 2 bus forever.
Right there with ya!
5th May 2007
Old 5th May 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethdk View Post
same compressor as in GTQC channel strip?

Is the GTQC channel strip available yet for sale?
Yes, and yes:

Aurora Audio GTQC

5th May 2007
Old 5th May 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds like a cool unit. Will be happy to learn more about it, and hopefully hear some on/off clips eventually. Got a pic of it? Haven't seen on yet. What's the price on these?
7th May 2007
Old 7th May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to jdjustice
bump...
for those of you that have a GTQC channel or GTC2 compressor:

if you were to compare the compressor to another available unit, which one would you compare it to?
i want to know how the compression section sounds relative to something i have heard before (1176, LA-2A, Distressor).

thanks!
~j.d.
8th May 2007
Old 8th May 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice View Post
bump...
for those of you that have a GTQC channel or GTC2 compressor:

if you were to compare the compressor to another available unit, which one would you compare it to?
i want to know how the compression section sounds relative to something i have heard before (1176, LA-2A, Distressor).

thanks!
~j.d.
It has it's own sound, flavor, vibe, etc.... The fet is 1176-ish, but still very much it's own thing... pretty aggressive sounding, whereas the opto is much smoother.
9th May 2007
Old 9th May 2007
Gear maniac

are there external sidechain inputs? or at least some portico like ch2 control ch1?
9th May 2007
Old 9th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomylee View Post
are there external sidechain inputs? or at least some portico like ch2 control ch1?
Hi

Yes and no... or perhaps, maybe!

There is a 1/4" jack socket on the rear panel that is the link to connect to another unit and this socket sends/receives a dc signal proportional to the amount of compression.

I have not tried, nor particularly recommend, sticking an audio signal into this jack socket but it is diode rectified and would compress in proportion to the size of the audio signal.

So, yes/no/sort of...

Re the control aspect... there's nothing stopping you setting one side such that it controlled t'other. The stereo link switch is pretty bullet-proof and whichever channel is doing the most compressing will force the other channel to follow exactly.

9th May 2007
Old 9th May 2007
Lives for gear

Hi

As requested (then deleted?) by espen, here's a quick digital photo of a production GTC2.... we will get professional photos eventually added to our products page...

Attached Thumbnails
Aurora GTC2 compressor - excellent addition-gtc2.jpg  
10th May 2007
Old 10th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

As requested (then deleted?) by espen, here's a quick digital photo of a production GTC2.... we will get professional photos eventually added to our products page...

ah, cool - I deleted my post when I found a picture floating around on a site. It was pretty blurry, though, so it's nice to actually see the details! Looks cool.
23rd April 2009
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

I just got mine. And I love the sound as well. I ended up trading my new Neve 33609 J/D. Just because they are such close cousins. And I am totally happy of just keeping the Aurora comp. The are both great comps/limiters no doubt.

But I find the Aurora even more versatile. Combo, Fet and Opto is just awesome. Definitely a new forward step in the compressor world. They do sound slightly different. So if you like every color in the color in the crayon box as JJ Puig would say. Then get them both. Its the slutty thing to do.

24th April 2009
Old 24th April 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Just wired up my new GTC2. Since I have a rough mix to send out before my client hops on a plane tomorrow, I thought i would go right for the mix bus...and it's late so I will have to try it out in more detail over the next week.

First thing I noticed was the unit sounds excellent. The build quality is top notch as well. Looks slamming in the rack, and the dented knobs are a nice touch. The knobs have nice resistance, and the buttons have a nice stick. although i wouldn't slam the buttons, they feel like perhaps over time they could go if abused. It doesn't feel like it runs hot. But i've only had it on for about 2 hours. it's a very nice Class A piece of gear all around from my quick run through.

There's a sidechain on the back of the unit for linking two units together. I'm not really seeing the wisdom of this particular element to the design. I mean the unit is stereo to begin with, so not sure where this will come into play? I would have preferred to see a sidechain for frequency dependent compression uses instead. With that said, I'm not noticing any significant clamp down on the large amount of low end in the rough I'm doing. And there are plenty of other comps out there that don't have a sidechain. This one is in that camp. With that said, perhaps Geoff will offer a mod to the sidechain in the future if possible

I do notice a slight thickening to the sound, but not in a loose kind of way. I'm a bit fried at the moment, but i also think I'm noticing a little bit of shine way way up top. Definitely adding a nice finish to the rough I'm doing. By the way, I'm in opto mode, with slowest attack, quickest release, and a bit of makeup gain. I'm not slamming the unit, not the right type of record i have up for that. Although, I have to say, when i did hit it a bit harder for a moment, it still sounded good. This units opto mode is seriously smooth. There's definitely a little pump, but i tend to like that. I'm not sure if it will do the Distressor Crush factor, but I haven't tried to dial that in yet.

I put the GTC2 in back of my SSL G Comp, and the two played nice with each other. The SSL did it's SSL thing, and GTC added a nice roundness to the audio. I have the unit inserted into the 2 BUS of my tonelux. I'm finding this to be a nice combo.

I once slammed Geoff for being flakey about getting out his products in a timely fashion in one of the forums. Better to take your time, and design something quality. This guy obviously knows his shait when it comes to equipment. I can tell a lot of thought went into the unit, and again, it simply sounds excellent. I have a hand full of very nice comps, and this unit sits very well alongside them, but adds a little something different in an elegant way.
13th December 2009
Old 13th December 2009
Gear addict

Everyone still digging their GTC-2's?
13th December 2009
Old 13th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoizyNinja View Post
13th December 2009
Old 13th December 2009
Gear addict

Mine still has a happy home!
13th December 2009
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

I'm just digging into my GTQC (same comp section, I believe). Instantly fell in love with the FET, but I'm still getting a handle on the opto.

Easily the finest build quality I've had hands on time with. Mr. Tanner sets the bar very high with his work. Tip of the hat!

Rascal Tonebuss, The Brute, Overstayer & Fathead II in classifieds!
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...w-lundahl.html
14th December 2009
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

use mine on damn near every session. love it!
14th December 2009
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoizyNinja View Post

Sorry, not everyone at this point. With furthing testing and time. I didn't really like it more so than the staple comps I have in my inventory already. Mix bus it works great. But I wanted it to do it all. Sorry for being greedy! That was my main reasoning for buying it. And I got enough mix bus comps in the racks.

FET and OPTO is honestly redundant in my studio. I got plenty of other Fet/Opto comps that I am content with, like the TLS3, LA2As, LA3As, 1176LNs Purple MC76s. So that was my reasoning. It sounded slighty better than my AMS 33609 tone wise but the 33609 had it beat for heavy compression and limiting. Geoff warned me. He said it was a transparent compressor compared to most. It really does a unique thing and has a nice tone. Perfect box for strapping on the 2bus.

You asked, and you shall receive. I can see it now that I will be attacked for selling mine and speaking my honest experience with it.

Still got my GTQ2 preamp and eq though and love the hell out of it.
23rd January 2010
Old 23rd January 2010
Gear Head

Love it

I got mine some 9 months ago.
Never got to try it on voice, or bass, or whatever...
Whe I first got it, I tried it on master bus and it's been sitting there ever since.
It changed just about everything I didnt like about my AWS 900.
Nice combo IMO.
Sometimes (with very bassy or more dancy trax) I will have the Guelph before the Aurora.
The Gueph is pretty much an SSL, though more open sounding and with added sidechain bla.
In that case I will still want the transformer sound of the Aurora - even if I set it to do no more than a mite of levelling.
To my ears the Aurora is the nicest thing out there.
For reference: I also have the odd SSL, a Strohm (Fairchild clone), an original 33609 (hi there, Geoff) and other bits & piecees but the Aurora is clearly my fav.
I've also added a GTQC that in mix I will use on Bass most of the times - also use it for laptop tracking (everything you need in 1 HU)

23rd January 2010
Old 23rd January 2010
Gear nut

i like mine too
11th March 2010
Old 11th March 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to KEYBEEETSSS Send a message via Yahoo to KEYBEEETSSS Send a message via Skype™ to KEYBEEETSSS
Thought I'd bump this as I'm deciding what to grab 1st... Does anyone have this as well as a CL 1b?
"IS TAMARA HOME?"
11th March 2010
Old 11th March 2010
Lives for gear

Hey KEYBEEETSSS.

I'v got the GTQC and think it's a great all in one solution. Have not played around to much with the compressor yet, but it seems to bring a darker sound to the preamp (or should I say not as bright as when I bypass it). Have not tried GTC2, but I'm guessing it's in the same neighbourhood ?

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search