Space Station SST-206 anyone
New Reply
Subscribe
Beech
29th February 2004
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

Ursa Major Space Station SST-206?

No, I'm not taking strong drugs! Has anyone come across this remake of the old classic Ursa Major digital delay? I used to love it for drum ambience and some vocals and guitars, but mainly drums. By mounting PZMs on 8 x 4 foot boards placed in front of the kit and adding the Space Station to these I was in rock drumsound heaven. Unfortunately my old unit gave up the ghost.
Enter a company called Seven Woods in New York making a handheld version of the original. Sounds like a good idea (except for only having digital I/O ) I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has tried this unit.

17th May 2006
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

im diggin up an oldy. bump.
17th May 2006
Old 17th May 2006

The guy behind Seven Woods is actually the same guy who did the original Space Station.

DrMS. Focus on your stereo field. - NEW AAX Native 64 v4.0.1 OUT NOW!
DrMS spatial processor - native AAX64/RTAS/AU/VST plugin ยป

Product Support Engineer for
Joystick Audio - Benelux High End Distributor
http://www.joystick.be
18th May 2006
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Daire,

have you seen the plug in version by Princeton Digital? I have no idea if it captures the mojo of the hardware unit (I'm guessing the original converters would've been part of the sound). I bought their 2016 reverb plug after hearing the hardware unit and absolutely love it.

http://www.princetondigital.com/products/sst

cheers,
Ruairi

Was just about to submit this when I saw the original post was 2 years old...
18th May 2006
Old 18th May 2006

The Princeton plugin was also made with the participation of the original Ursa Major designer (now owner of Seven Woods Audio)
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm resuscitating this thread as I've recently heard from the esteemed Mr Moores lovely wife that they recently produced a small new batch of SST-206.
I thought I'd put that out there.

I'm intrigued and though I like to spend my hard earned money on good products, and to good people.... there's not whole lot of info out there on this ursa ver.

If anyone can share some sst-206 impressions, please do.
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
I'm resuscitating this thread as I've recently heard from the esteemed Mr Moores lovely wife that they recently produced a small new batch of SST-206.
I would be extremely interested in obtaining one of these new units if this is true. Been looking for one of the reissues for a long time, to no avail of course. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated! Chet D, Did Mrs. Moore tell you anything regarding how one could purchase a unit?

Thanks in advance
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Contact email is the same as on the seven woods site;
casual.observer@verizon.net

I'm torn cuz I want a special kinda vibe box to use on a console aux send. The sst-206 is digital interfacing only though.
The Stargate I've heard originally got me interested.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear nut

Thanks Chet! I now have one of the new sst-206 run en route to me, can't wait to get it hooked up and do some mixing with it.. I'm thinking of doing the same thing, using it as an (analog) send off my mixing board, just using an old, (cheap) aes to analog converter to get in and out. Since you're saving on rackspace with the whole reverb unit being inside the remote, what's a half , or even a whole space devoted to getting in and out of the box? Heck, you may even be able to gain some in / out metering that is lacking on the unit itself.

I'm thinking, since this whole thing is designed to mimic the 12-bit, 7khz bandwidth of the original (according to the seven woods website), you could probably get by with some less than stellar conversion here.

Last edited by LoFiAudio; 30th December 2012 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: clarity
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

She's here!

So, just keeping with the old GS mantra, "if there's no pictures it didn't really happen" - Here is a picture of the brand new Space Station SST-206 Reissue I just got in the mail! It's a trip thinking that this thing is a new run ten years after the reissue of the Space Station (the Seven Woods Audio SST-206), which was produced in 2002-2003, twenty five years after the original Space Station was produced by Mr. Christopher Moore in 1978!! What?!?!

It does not seem to be publicized anywhere, but they did say they had a "few" units left, so if you want one, head to the Seven Woods Audio website and shoot them an email.

for a very cool and unique processor. Lots of fun, very cool sounds to be had for sure!
Attached Thumbnails
Space Station SST-206 anyone-206.jpg  
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Nice going.

I feel compelled to say that besides his clear talent, Mr Moore really is a very gracious wise and decent man. People like him make one happy to be supportive of his work.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Nice going.

I feel compelled to say that besides his clear talent, Mr Moore really is a very gracious wise and decent man. People like him make one happy to be supportive of his work.
Absolutely, very nice folks up at Seven Woods. They were very helpful, and the SST-206 sounds great. Really having fun with it!

Thanks again for the tip, Chet!
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to tekis
I really loved the old SST 282, so I bought a 206 for about 3 years ago. I like it a lot. Never tried any of the plugins. Thanks.

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search