New Reply
Subscribe
basement
29th February 2004
Old 29th February 2004
Gear nut

BOUNCE TO DISK VS. MASTERLINK

Hello!

Done a lot of reading on this site and the DUC and have been unable to find the definitive answer to this question: Does ProTools LE's bounce to disk function unduly damage audio? There seems to be a split in the opinons. Some swear it does, some swear just as vehemently that it doesn't.

I'm considering purchasing a Masterlink. Some maintain that it's best to avoid BTD altogether and go externally to a device like the Masterlink. I'd love to get your thoughts.

Here's my setup:

PT LE on PC (Digi 002) to
Rosetta 800 D/A to
Cranesong STC-8 to
Massive Passive to
???

For those of you with experience in this area, should I replace the ??? above with "back into PT and then BTD" or "go to the Masterlink" if I want absolute top-quality pro-level CDs. (FWIW, I'm looking to master my own 16-bit CDs, not make 24-bit CDs to take to a mastering house.)

Thanks!
29th February 2004
Old 29th February 2004
Gear nut

Send a message via Yahoo to jt916
29th February 2004
Old 29th February 2004
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

BTD had a bad rep back in the Mix + days... And as a result many folks prefered to 'record back to PT' or to a recording device.

There have been some software revisions since..

Then HD came out,

It's hard to track detailed aspects of Digi software inprovements in the area of 'sonics' , and they aren't a company likely to say "look folks we improved this!" as it could be seen as an admission there was something wrong with it in the first place. BUT that said Digi DO tweak at things, sound quality being one of them, it just usually takes 400 + posts and a LOT of questions on the Digisign User Group to get to the bottom of exactly what's been improved...Engineers at Digidesign often don't feel they owe anyone detailed explinations

(this fuels Digi's Imperious reputation......

Im*pe"ri*ous (?), a. [L. imperiosus: cf. F. impérieux. See Imperial.]

1. Commanding; ascendant; imperial; lordly; majestic.

2. Haughly; arrogant; overbearing; as, an imperious tyrant; an imperious manner.

Syn. -- Dictatorial; haughty; domineering; overbearing; lordly; tyrannical; despotic; arrogant; imperative; authoritative; commanding; pressing. -- Imperious, Lordly, Domineering. One who is imperious exercises his authority in a manner highly offensive for its spirit and tone; one who is lordly assumes a lofty air in order to display his importance; one who is domineering gives orders in a way to make other feel their inferiority.)

+ no doub't there are some commercial business secrets wrapped up in their work.

So it's unsurprising that lingering doubt remains about the PT BTD issue on pre HD systems.

As for where HD BTD is at...... I lose track......

Anyone?

basement
29th February 2004
Old 29th February 2004
Gear nut

FWIW, my question is re PT LE, not HD. (Couldn't afford the fancy stuff!)
29th February 2004
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to dave-G Send a message via Skype™ to dave-G
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
As for where HD BTD is at...... I lose track......
It's fine.

When I first got HD, I did an experiment, comparing the results of a BTD with the results of an AES patch to record back to 2 tracks in PT to a file-import from a CD24 made with a MasterLink and found them all completely identical (invert-nullable).

Now, when I'm mixing in the box, I don't give it a second thought, and use BTD, even when using outboard on the 2-buss (as inserts).

-dave
29th February 2004
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to dave-G Send a message via Skype™ to dave-G
Quote:
Originally posted by basement
FWIW, my question is re PT LE, not HD. (Couldn't afford the fancy stuff!)
Oops!

Then I have no friggin idea... Do a test!! It's easy!

-dave
29th February 2004
Old 29th February 2004
Gear addict

i have been going to masterlink at 24bits..thru aes outputs of a 192io...it works great..i have also bouced some sessions. they sound fine too. personally i just find it easier to use the masterlink..i can always grab a fader and change something on the fly...actually lately i have been doing both.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search