Login / Register

(Please Help) API just came in.. Neve, GreatRiver, etc..?
New Reply
Subscribe
phildog33
31st March 2007
Old 31st March 2007
Gear maniac

(Please Help) API just came in.. Neve, GreatRiver, etc..?

Guys,

I just got my first high end mic pres.
I am using Digi002 rack and had the Focusrite Octopre with ADAT.
I sold the Octopre and am using the 3124+ now going into Line inputs 5-8 in the back.

(P.S. Are Line inputs 5-8 the same as DI/Line inputs 1-4 with the front MicPre knob turned down?????)

Compared to the pres I have been used to (Focusrite, the onboard Digis).. the APIs are wider, louder sounding.. and THICKER... on electric guitars this is welcome.. On vocals with a U195 microphone it sounds a little too bass heavy. Do you guys hear the same?

I would like to ask your advice on upgrading me...

I want to move up and have asked others about getting that ONE vocal preamp which will make it happen. Is it a Neve, UA LA-610, Averill, Great River, or Chandler or etc??

Should a Distressor be an absolute staple for a young artists rack.. or other compressor?

Also thinking of getting the Apogee Rosetta800 or ditching ProTools and getting the Apogee Ensemble.

Sorry with so many questions... you guys are a great resource and have helped me move up from the Digi002/Focusrite world

-phillip
31st March 2007
Old 31st March 2007
Lives for gear

You may have to EQ the vocal.

I like the API for vocals, but I do prefer something in the Neve ballpark. I use Wunders and I really like them.

I use a Rosetta 800 with a Digi 002 rack unit and it works great.
31st March 2007
Old 31st March 2007
Gear nut

I've got an API 3124 which I use in addition to a Great River MP2NV. They compliment each other pretty well.

I also use a Rosetta 800 which I think sounds very good. Your results may vary, but you can't go too wrong with any of this gear.

As for compression, you might want to see if you can demo or borrow a few pieces to try. In my experience compression is a very personal thing which everyone hears a bit differently.
2nd April 2007
Old 2nd April 2007
Gear maniac

bump
2nd April 2007
Old 2nd April 2007

Something in the Neve family would round out your collection. Check out the Aurora Audio GTQ2 if you haven't seen that yet. It's very reminiscent of the Neve 1073's, but with a slightly more open top end. The Brent Averill 1073's are also nice and much more affordable than the AMS 1073's.
Gear Sales - High Profile Audio
Plugin Deals - PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Twitter: https://twitter.com/PluginDiscounts
2nd April 2007
Old 2nd April 2007
Gear nut

If the API has too much bass on vocals for you ,a NEVE would kill you

I use a NEVE 1272 ,and I like the big lo end ,its harder to get nice lo end from a thin recording ,you can just take out the lo end later .
2nd April 2007
Old 2nd April 2007
Lives for gear

Great River would be great with the API. Also, the Portico is nice and slightly cheaper. The Apogee will boost your sound up to the next level too. May even clean up that low end problem you got. Get that first and see what happens.
18th April 2007
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

If the bass is too heavy on vocals then lower the mic in relation to the singers mouth or move the mic away from the singer a few inches. Eq the sound by moving the microphone instead of buying another pre. API's sound very clear and bright so I think it might be bass proximity effect coming into play.
18th April 2007
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

I'm sorting through these questions as well. I am soon to buy an API 3124 and wondering where to go from there. I'm committed to getting 8 great channels this year and the API is a definite.

How is the API on acoustics?
18th April 2007
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

Could be proximity effect of the mic and the APIs pick up more low-end than the Octopre? Like a previous poster said, back off the mic a little, or use an omni pattern condenser (which will have less proximity effect) if you really need to be in that close, or you could always roll off the low-end some with EQ.

Maybe turn off the FAT switch on the U195?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search