Deramic Sound System?
moonpi
26th March 2007
Old 26th March 2007
Gear addict

Deramic Sound System?

Today, I listened to Days Of Future Passed by The Moody Blues and realized that ever since I got turned onto this album (1996) I have wondered what in the world this DERAMIC SOUND SYSTEM was/is.

Anyone have any clues as to what exactly it is? Was it basically a custom built studio, console, and recorders? That's what I am inclined to believe. I've done several searches, but only get info from Hi-Fi guys who offer that DOFP was recorded as a showpiece for the Deramic Sound System.

Anyone?
27th March 2007
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

Deram was their record label. Seems to me like it might be more marketing than a technique or studio - but of course I could be wrong.
27th March 2007
Old 27th March 2007
Gear addict

Found via Google on the Sound on Sound website :
It is essentially multitrack stereo mixing with a few twists. Prior to Deramic, stereo tended to be left, right or middle only.

To that end, every trick in the book was thrown into the recording. The orchestra is very heavily over-reverbed in source recording, as is some of the vocals, in order to create the Deramic sense of 'space' that was sought after by Decca. Decca's classic reverb technique was to use real concert halls, but it could easily be multiple revebs layered together. Later remasterings of the original vinyl versions also tend to try and "clean up" the original recording and make the reverb more modern.
moonpi
27th March 2007
Old 27th March 2007
Gear addict

That makes a lot of sense. To my memory it really sounds like it's the first really sincere effort to blur the LCR method into what became the modern stereo sound-stage.

I had always been curious about this album because it really doesn't sound like anything else out of 1967's "Swinging London", with the possible exception of a couple of tunes like Peak Hour. On the whole it has a very unique character and the perception of more body compared to other albums. I'm not expert on what was actually happening at that time, but I'd like to know more about the technical history of this album as it pertains to the console, tape machines, etc, which is why I thought to ask on this forum.

Perhaps Sound On Sound has some more info... I love those Classic Tracks articles.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search