Which power amp for NS-10
Old 25th March 2007
Gear maniac

Which power amp for NS-10

Hello, i just bought Yamaha NS-10 and i've got Bryston 4Be 250Watts per channel @ 8 ohms. Is it so much power to NS-10? Do i need something with less power?
Thanks.

karas
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear

Too much power is better than too little power. It may be counter-intuitive, but that's the way it works. You should be fine as long as you can avoid sending them giant spikes, and you pay attention to gain-staging.
Old 25th March 2007
Gear maniac

NS10

Thanks.Do you think thats good combination?
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear

There's one studio I use a lot that that has Brystons powering their NS-10s. They sound just like they should. A lot of people rave about those amps.

Bryston makes good amps. Hafler is pretty cool as well.

There's a well-respected engineer here in Brooklyn who uses a 250 watt-per-side hafler on his NS10s. Fuses too. He makes good sounding records.

The Brystons are technically "better" if that means anything to you.
Old 25th March 2007
Gear maniac

ns10

Thanks again, i'm glad i did good choice.
About the gain - there is just power switch, inputs, outputs, thats it. There is not gain switcher, maybe inside?
Old 25th March 2007
Gear maniac

i use the hafler p3000 and really like it on my ns10's but i heard really great things about the bryston.
Old 26th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ine-kpro... View Post
i use the hafler p3000 and really like it on my ns10's but i heard really great things about the bryston.
Ditto.
Old 26th March 2007
Ted
Gear maniac

It's fine. In fact it's great, not too much power. Bryston's are great for NS-10's. It brings them to life. I have an 8B bridged on mine and have had no problems. We did fuse them to be safe but yet to have blown one in over two years...

You're in good shape, start mixing away,

Ted.
www.upstairsproductions.com

Oh yea, we integrated a Genelec 7071A sub into ours with excellent results with the NS-10's playing full range.
Old 27th March 2007
Gear addict

Bryston...

Hi ,
I use a old Crown d-150 and is a perfect match...

I ALSO own a Bryston 4BST on my Urei 809a Monitors....

BRYSTON IS the BEST amp you could ever ask for!!!

Trust me..............
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

Adcom GFA-535 here.
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

The Bryston amp *smokes* the Hafler on NS10s. You'll be deeply saddened that you subjected yourself to the Hafler for so long. Seriously.
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear
Unless of course the Hafler happens to be a 1988 vintage P500. I've had peoples jaws drop at my NS10s over the years. And that amp has run non-stop for 19 years on my NS10's.

2 Amp in line fuses on the hot will save you a boatload of money over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax View Post
The Bryston amp *smokes* the Hafler on NS10s. You'll be deeply saddened that you subjected yourself to the Hafler for so long. Seriously.
Old 31st March 2007
Gear maniac

ns10

Thanks so much for your thoughts guys.

What fuses you use?
Old 31st March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by karas View Post

What fuses you use?
None.

Colors the sound too much.

But at the big sound motels they have them on their NS10's so as always...YMMV.
Old 21st April 2007
Emo
Gear interested

Hi guys,
I'm into the same question too. I'd go Bryston, but can't afford it at the moment. Today I'm going to try a Labgruppen iP 450. Anybody used one of their iP series products on NS-10's? If so, what do you think about it?
Old 21st April 2007
Gear nut

Yamahama p-2200
Old 21st April 2007
Gear addict

I've heard great things about Bryston... they have an amazing warranty too don't they?
Old 17th November 2007
Gear maniac

ns10 power amp

hi guys,i use hafler 9290 for my ns10,i think this is good but is there anybody have a beter idea?also i always have a big problem in low frequency and always in about 80 to 180hz i have a wrong frequency response .is there any body can help me to correct this frequency response.i also use esi sub but only correct below the 80 hz.

Thanks.

iman hojjat
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search