Pro Tools Vs Solic Solutions and SADIe
walth
18th March 2007
Old 18th March 2007
Gear addict

Pro Tools Vs Solic Solutions and SADIe

Has anyone worked with systems like sonic solutions and SADIe. What are some of the comparisons. I had professors who told me to look at all other options before going to pro tools (Performer, Logic, Studio Vision, which is now discontinued, or a combination of MDHRs and DAWs which was done waaay back in the day.) it's funny how far along we've come since the late 90s. I'm using logic pro and HD3 but have always wondered about these other systems. I only see them in use in the film industry. I was told it was a financial thing. Big movie Studios were the only ones that had the money to spend.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks to all for your helpful posts in the past.
18th March 2007
Old 18th March 2007
Gear nut

i use sadie at work... when i first started using it i hated it. absolutely hated it. now that i know my way around it i don't mind it so much for what i do (radio production) but i couldn't imagine using it for full fledged music production. it has no midi functionality.
18th March 2007
Old 18th March 2007
Lives for gear

I have all three in my control room. Pro Tools for multitrack music recording and Sadie/Sonic for two track mixdown and mastering. Too many differences to go into but my uses of the systems is typical to what you'll find others doing.
19th March 2007
Old 19th March 2007
Lives for gear

I produce a radio show and use Pro Tools for mixing music and dialogue and then bounce it to a stereo file and use Sadie for editing and mastering.

Sadie is amazing for two track music and dialogue editing. I would never want to be stuck on Pro Tools for heavy diaolgue editing and it feels cumbersome when I do need to use it for that purpose at home or elsewhere. Of course, I would never want to be stuck mixing music on the Sadie system.
19th March 2007
Old 19th March 2007
DAWs are somewhat specialized these days. If you want high track counts and mixing, Pro Tools is appropriate. If you want to do mastering, Sadie and Sonic are appropriate (Sonic Studio now - Sonic Solutions, the parent company, pretty much only does DVD stuff now, and Sonic Studio LLC was the offshoot to start developing the audio DAW again). If you want to have a lot of sequencing along with some audio, Logic is a good choice. Others to look at include Sequoia for mastering, and Nuendo for mixing. In our studios, we have Pro Tools and Sonic (multiple versions of each).
1st February 2008
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
Has anyone worked with systems like sonic solutions and SADIe. What are some of the comparisons. I had professors who told me to look at all other options before going to pro tools (Performer, Logic, Studio Vision, which is now discontinued, or a combination of MDHRs and DAWs which was done waaay back in the day.) it's funny how far along we've come since the late 90s. I'm using logic pro and HD3 but have always wondered about these other systems. I only see them in use in the film industry. I was told it was a financial thing. Big movie Studios were the only ones that had the money to spend.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks to all for your helpful posts in the past.
For high track count recording and mixing I would look seriously at Pyramix.
With version 6 it is quite cheap to get a more powerful system than PT with large trackcounts to surround even at 384khz. It is very stable and you have none of the PT B.S. with which interfaces to use. Madi, AES, (Super and Hypermac coming) Adat.

We use both pt and Pyramix and are having to buy a PT system for movie clients, but for me Pyramix is the way to go.
A lot of earlier issues are solved elegantly in version 6.
The german radio with their massive budgets just opted for pyramix as do the danish and norwegian broadcast companies.
1st February 2008
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

wow, dude asks a question and gets two guys trying to sell him stuff. tutt
23rd February 2008
Old 23rd February 2008
Gear addict

I spent years (in the mid '90s) cutting film sound (especially dialogue) on a Sonic Solutions. I've still not found a DAW as elegant, powerful or good-sounding as the Sonic. Of course, it took about six months of ramp-up for a mortal to become competent on the GUI, but once learned, it was unbeatable.
23rd February 2008
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Sadie went into bankruptcy so I would not think about using their software.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search