Old 10th February 2004
Gear Head

neumann sm69

Hi all - i've been enjoying the forum for some time, finally had a question to post. the studio where i work has an amazing mic collection, just about anything you'd ever want to use. one that i think sounds great is the neumann sm69 stereo tube mic, which people routinely describe as a stereo version of the u67.

my question is, if this mic is really two 67s in one, why do i see them selling for less than the price of a single 67? am i missing something here? the 67s we have at the studio are stephen paul modded, and seem a lot more hyped than the 69, so it's hard to do an exact comparison. anyone know what the difference is between the 69 and 67? i haven't ever opened the mic up, but the body is quite a bit narrower than that of the 67, so maybe there's something missing? is there some disadvantage to using one side of the mic on a mono source that i'm oblivious to?

just wondering...
Old 10th February 2004
Lives for gear

All I can say is... You're on to something.... Shhhhhhhhh!!!!

All the members of the SM69 family are absolute sleepers. Let's keep it that way!

-dave
Old 10th February 2004
Gear maniac

an sm69 is NOT a U67

Hi Dave,
The 69 is not a stereo 67 but it does use the same capsules. The electronics are different enough that they can't be called the same.
So they do sound different, but, more importantly, the U67 is far easier to reapir than the 69, which is an event (or series of events) that comes in every vintage microphone's lifetime.
Regards,
David Bock
Soundelux Microphones
Old 10th February 2004
I rent one from time to time

Old 10th February 2004
Gear Head

so they use the same capsules? at least they're labelled differently, but maybe the sm69 one (KKS 69) is just labelled differently because its...well, a double capsule the u67 capsule being KK67.
other than that, the u67 uses an EF86, the sm69 two ac701 (one per channel). there is a broadcast version of the u67 though, using an ac701 - that mic is called m269. slightly different sound and better specs.
Old 10th February 2004
Lives for gear

Re: an sm69 is NOT a U67

Quote:
Originally posted by dbock
Hi Dave,
The 69 is not a stereo 67 but it does use the same capsules. The electronics are different enough that they can't be called the same.
So they do sound different, but, more importantly, the U67 is far easier to reapir than the 69, which is an event (or series of events) that comes in every vintage microphone's lifetime.
Regards,
David Bock
Soundelux Microphones
Sorry for the vagueness and mis-implication in my reply. I didn't mean to insinuate nor endorse the assumption that any SM69 is effectively a stereo U67; having rebuilt one, I do in fact know better. Rather, I wanted to validate patchmonkey's idea that it's a great-sounding mic that can indeed be used one "side" at a time for things like vocals, etc with good results..

I guess I should have just said that

FWIW, my old SM69fet is one of my favorites, and I have on occasion preferred it to a 'toob' SM69 that I rent from time to time.

-dave
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search