Login / Register

Neumann TLM 149? at 4060? Peluso? Mojave? AARGGHHH!
New Reply
Subscribe
t. love Joy
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Gear interested

Neumann TLM 149? at 4060? Peluso? Mojave? AARGGHHH!

Goin' nuts here. I've just revamped my rig. Been running logic and now followed the masses to PT. Trying to choose a mic to finish off a good vocal chain. Need some suggestions (uh, oh,...)

O.K. I really like the look of that big new Neumann tlm 149 which I can get for around 1250. I also like the AT 4060 for around $850. Several other suggestions have been Peluso 22 251 or 22 47, c414 , Mojave ma 300, and u87 (are the ones I see on ebay for around $800 the same as the 3k mic?). I don't have the luxury of a/b ing all these so I'm hoping a real pro out there might be able to at least help me round down a bit. I'm trying to stay around $1000 but would strech if the difference was really exponential

Chain is - (mic?) then UA la610 (my first peice of "real" audio gear - I frickin LOVE it) then Digi 002r. Monitors are new Yamaha HS80m .

I have a big voice and sing pretty full. I like a vintage tube sound but don't want to re create zeplin (as if). Hope I'm not breaking rules but if you really get into helping and want to hear me www.myspace.com/tlovejoymusic . I swear that's not a plug. I don't even have anything to sell.

The common denominator amoung suggestions has, surprisingly been the AT 4060. But I really want a snobby peice of "boutique" gear. Thus the want for that big ass neumann. Thus far though, none of the suggetions have been given with the knowledge of my getting th LA610.

Brain Swmming, please help.

Tommy
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Gear maniac

Prepare for the replies that question why you chose to post this in the high end forum. $1000 mic is (to my surprise) not really considered expensive around these parts.

And do you mean the TLM49? I actually bought one fairly recently but haven't even had time to fire it up yet. I'm ignoring some pretty nice gear lately, sad to say.
21st January 2007
Old 21st January 2007
Gear interested

To some..1400 USD IS high end...at any rate I have a couple of those tlm49's that we use for broadcast audio production. Speaking voice only. VERY nice mic, and well worth the money. However we find that need to goose the higher end just a "very" little around 8.5k to get it to cut through. I know it's supposed to have a slight presence rise in the upper midrange, but the "air" isn't there unless I give it a db or so at around 8.5- 9khz. The low end is great but can be almost too much for some voices..very nice and fat sounding..and we use 610s in all three studios and flat on the EQ. I would snap one up if you can find one around 1300 bucks or so..there is a guy here that has his lowered to 1150.
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

I own the TLM49 and love it. It's an affordable solution (when considering some of the other mics that are mentioned on these boards). I've tracked vocals and acoustic guitar on this mic and am pleased with the results. It's money well spent.
C - 214.471.9563
kdeal@gcpro.com
http://www.gcpro.com/
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by t. love Joy View Post
Goin' nuts here. I've just revamped my rig. Been running logic and now followed the masses to PT. Trying to choose a mic to finish off a good vocal chain. Need some suggestions (uh, oh,...)

O.K. I really like the look of that big new Neumann tlm 149 which I can get for around 1250. I also like the AT 4060 for around $850. Several other suggestions have been Peluso 22 251 or 22 47, c414 , Mojave ma 300, and u87 (are the ones I see on ebay for around $800 the same as the 3k mic?). I don't have the luxury of a/b ing all these so I'm hoping a real pro out there might be able to at least help me round down a bit. I'm trying to stay around $1000 but would strech if the difference was really exponential

Chain is - (mic?) then UA la610 (my first peice of "real" audio gear - I frickin LOVE it) then Digi 002r. Monitors are new Yamaha HS80m .

I have a big voice and sing pretty full. I like a vintage tube sound but don't want to re create zeplin (as if). Hope I'm not breaking rules but if you really get into helping and want to hear me www.myspace.com/tlovejoymusic . I swear that's not a plug. I don't even have anything to sell.

The common denominator amoung suggestions has, surprisingly been the AT 4060. But I really want a snobby peice of "boutique" gear. Thus the want for that big ass neumann. Thus far though, none of the suggetions have been given with the knowledge of my getting th LA610.

Brain Swmming, please help.

Tommy
The best advice I can give you is to get as many of these microphones in your studio and try them. If you want a snobby piece of gear, then the 47 LE is probably as snobby as you can get in this budget. It's based off of the U47 style of microphones, and works great for me at my studio. I also own the 251 and Mojave. You may want to look at the 251 if you are wanting a very open and modern airy sounding mic, but if you want full bodied tone go with the 47 LE. I'm not really impressed by anything that Neumann makes except for the U87, and you may be able to get a used one for $1500. But, it won't blow you away, it's more of a good all around utility mic than anything else. Sounding good, but not great on pretty much anyone or anything.
Gear Sales - High Profile Audio
Plugin Deals - PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Twitter: https://twitter.com/PluginDiscounts
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
The best advice I can give you is to get as many of these microphones in your studio and try them. If you want a snobby piece of gear, then the 47 LE is probably as snobby as you can get in this budget. It's based off of the U47 style of microphones, and works great for me at my studio. I also own the 251 and Mojave. You may want to look at the 251 if you are wanting a very open and modern airy sounding mic, but if you want full bodied tone go with the 47 LE. I'm not really impressed by anything that Neumann makes except for the U87, and you may be able to get a used one for $1500. But, it won't blow you away, it's more of a good all around utility mic than anything else. Sounding good, but not great on pretty much anyone or anything.

Tony - what is your opinion on the Mojave? Where does it sit tone wise with the other mics mentioned?

Thanks,
Paul
22nd January 2007
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Is your studio public or private? Having a "Newman" mic in your locker might attract more clients in the long run. If you're just recording yourself or whatever, then why not try them out and see which one you like the best?
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Hey, Just wanted to say that I heard some of your stuff and I really like your voice!! Mic wise, who knows..Honestly, it's so amazing how different mics affect different singers on different days. You have the benefit of having a good voice so that means you'll still sound good singing through a 57, etc. Since your voice wasn't real bassy and had high end I'd get something darker possibly. Best of luck and keep up the great work.
Logic 10.0.6, DP 7.24, PT 10.3.7, Reaper 4x, Apogee Symphony, professional 4 room studio great for songwriters and producers.
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

I have the M-149 and I'm very unhappy with it. My Buddy had two and sold them for the same reason. When used on a female vocal especially it has a spitty wierd top end thing that makes me pull it down everytime. I've tried different pre-amps, straight into my board but still there. My buddy had the same artifacts show up.

Just thought I'd chime in because I spent a LOt more than $1,200.00 for mine and can't stand it on a semi-loud vocal. It does sound nice in other apps but I bought it for my go to VOX mic. Oh well... Ebay i guess. Too much money to put it in front of a kick drum. I have a sub-kick for that.
Lot cheaper too.

Bdiggy
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear nut

How come every damn thread with peluso in it, tony belmont is in it.
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearobsessed View Post
How come every damn thread with peluso in it, tony belmont is in it.
Well he owns and uses all of the peluso mics extensively and also sells them.

Make a post about soundelux, buzz audio, or old school audio and the dude from atlas pro audio will show up.

Make a post about the chandler stuff or drawmer 1968 or 1969 and the guys from mercenary show up.

No offense to anyboy in this post, btw. I find them all to be helpful and a good resource.

Now back to comparing those mics.

XHipHop.com is back! Looking for guest posts!
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdiggy View Post
I have the M-149 and I'm very unhappy with it. My Buddy had two and sold them for the same reason. When used on a female vocal especially it has a spitty wierd top end thing that makes me pull it down everytime. I've tried different pre-amps, straight into my board but still there. My buddy had the same artifacts show up.

Just thought I'd chime in because I spent a LOt more than $1,200.00 for mine and can't stand it on a semi-loud vocal. It does sound nice in other apps but I bought it for my go to VOX mic. Oh well... Ebay i guess. Too much money to put it in front of a kick drum. I have a sub-kick for that.
Lot cheaper too.

Bdiggy
I think he's asking about the TLM49, not the M149.
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear addict

heard the m-149 (not tlm) in the same room as the peluso p12, and 2247le, on the same source. All mics were very different, but I would totally buy either the 2247le or p12. Unfortunately those pelusos were not permanent fixtures at our place. As for the m149, I don't have much complaining to do, but I don't have much praising to do either. The m-149 definitely does not sound like what it costs, and I'm not sure what the tlm149 sounds like in relationship to what it costs. In your price range the p12 is worth a try-I myself want one bad.

As for the client pull of a neumann, my two cents would be this: unless your wielding vintage u47's,u67, m49s etc. who cares? Any Client who knows enough about gear to know about neumann mics, probably also knows that the newer budget neumanns are'nt on the same playing field as their legendary vintage mics IMO. Find a mic you like and get good sounds and clients will come.

cheers
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Ive compared the AT 4060 to a bunch of other mics, in blind, level matched situations, and it often wins.

never heard the other mics you're thinking of... except for the 87. I much prefer the AT 4060 on most vocals.....

the AT 4060 is an all around good mic - not just for vocals..... FWIIW

also a pretty safe bet..... however it is always best to try before you buy - especially with vocals....

Last edited by mixerguy; 23rd January 2007 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: addition.
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

[QUOTEO.K. I really like the look of that big new Neumann tlm 149 which I can get for [/QUOTE]

Tom,

So we can be clear, are you talking about the M-149 or something else. There is a difference. Thanks!
23rd January 2007
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Guru

I'm not selling the Pelusos. I can't compare them to the 4060 or the TLM-49. I do think the LE is an awesome vocal mic though. Full frequency range.
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007
Gear addict

I used an M-Audio Sputnik recently and was completely floored by it's sound. I sold my K2 to get one, but the $$ has been tight lately so I won't get one for a while, if they are still avail. (they're only making 1000). Anyway, I would check it out, like I said it sounded great to me and I would buy it in a heartbeat...can't comment on the other's because I haven't tried them...but from my assumption the Sputnik sounded like a hybrid U47-C12, exactly as marketed.

Best of luck,
M
1st February 2007
Old 1st February 2007
Gear addict

Oh, I forgot, it's street is $599.
2nd February 2007
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

2nd February 2007
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

I wouldn't go too nuts if I were you..............

you already have the most important piece of gear---a really good voice with lot's of vibe and character--don't stress too much, I'm willing to bet that any of the mics recommended on this thread would work for you---if any one of them don't, then you've gotta be doing something wrong, and i doubt that will happen.......peace?

www.poodiemusic.com
www.marvinkanarek.com
2nd February 2007
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

looks like some neumann (49) confusion going on here, so to be clear...

there is a M149, the current neumann flagship tube mic, released about 9-10 years ago. Multi patterns, expensive

then there is a new TLM 49, non tube, one pattern, released last year 2006. much cheaper

and of course the old classic M49, Tube mic made in the 60's (or is it late 50's) still very popular, but no longer available new, very expensive if you find one second hand.

so we have

M 149
TLM 49
M 49

there is no such mic as a TLM 149

"what is it you cant face"
"I'm a country member"
2nd February 2007
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to MadGuitrst
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
http://remixmag.com/images/SputnikDemo.mp3

Doesnt sound that great to me
The guitar sounds are horrible!
Holy crap.....how can you put that out?

The voices sound decent but the clips were so short......
The talking sounded pretty nice, nothing ugly.
But the guitars......crap, I can do better using....well, anything in the world......
Seesh.............
2nd February 2007
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

You are not likely to find a used Neumann U87 in decent shape for $800, but you can find a nice one for about $1,500 on ebay or elsewhere. I think the old ones, with the place inside for the battery, are great all around mics with a "cool" factor and they will hold their value. I have 2 that I purchased off ebay and I have been very happy with them. They are about the cheapest way to get a respectable vintage Neumann from their golden and most respected era. Countless huge hits used this mic for vocals and you would be hard to go wrong with one of these. If someone is selling one for much less than $1,500 I would be VERY careful as there is probably something wrong with it. If you get one for $1,000 but it needs a new capsule, you would be better paying $1,500 for one with with a good capsule. Yes, you can replace it with a brand new one (and the fact you still can get a NOS capsule is a big plus) but it will cost you $500+. There is nothing wrong with the TLM49, its a little hypes and worth the money and and yes it looks big and impressive, but for a little more you can a "real" pre-Sennheiser Neumann U87 and who knows what hits might have been recorded on the very mic you may own.

J. Mike Perkins myspace.com/jmikeperkins
2nd February 2007
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to MadGuitrst
I like your tunes a lot.

I like your voice; however, I think it could benefit from a mic that is more round than up front - you voice will cut through nicely as is.
So, while I love the 22 251 on my voice, I'd recommend something beside it for you.
Rule out the 22 251. Rule out the 414.

You have some grit so a mic with too much grit might not do it.
Rule out the Mojave (IMO). Rule out an AK47

A 22 47 would work okay.

But to me, considering your voice and your preamp I'd vote for the TLM49.
That said, I have never heard it with the UA preamp, so..........

Still, it's worth a listen.

Also, I think the AT4060 would work very pretty well.
If you can score one for $650 or so (which you can) it would be a great mic to have. Then you can buy another mic or two.

BTW, you never did tell us what you were using for a mic before..........
3rd February 2007
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear addict

I'm surprised you guys don't think much of the Sputnik. On my voice in which my favorite is actually a C800G but way out of my price range, the sputnik was excellent. Check out this link and hear some differences.

http://emusician.com/web_clips/webclips_1207/

Oh, and yes I agree I wouldn't use it for guitar, I simply don't like it, but for male vocals and especially mine it excelled...

My .02
mml
3rd February 2007
Old 3rd February 2007
mml
Gear addict

After listening to your songs/voice, I'd steer you in a completely different direction. You should consider a high-end dynamic mic, such as a Sure sm7, EV RE20, or Heil PR-40. These mics rock for a rock voice. I know they might not be as sexy, but man, with the money that you would save, you could buy a little better pre as well to run it through. I'm not a fan of the 610. Otherwise, I second the opinion to go with something 47-ish. But seriously, people often overlook great dynamics and I don't know why.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search