Doc Mixwell
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Pre Amp Love

Disclaimer!
I am a pimp and sell high end gear for DSPdoctor

Recently Bought Myself a NPNG 2W to add to my Collection of High End Microphone Preamplifiers, which utterly slay without the need for anything else...but good microphones/instruments, and of course good people playing and performing. Been using it on some sessions, and even though I haven't forget how awesome these are [I sell them for a living, and advise on them with clients]....patching in my new hardware, I was once again skooled on how incredible these pre's really are. I hadn't taken one for a spin in a while, so it was bout time I put in some dosh to get one over here.

The last couple sessions seemed like they FLEW by because it took me FAR LESS time to get the sound we wanted, at each application. I can easily attribute this to the NPNG's detail + accuracy + its undeniable character which puts your head inside the sound. Just amazing.

It is SUPER quiet, [I love really quiet amplifiers] and it has lots and lots of headroom. For sure there is oceans of space for the source/microphone - zero sterility, or hard/harshness. No raspy buzzy bullshit cheap ass high end. It has amazing detail and smooth appeal at the same time. Love the metering and feel of the controls. Solid. Meticulous Build Quality overall. When you open the box, and unpack it, it really hits home.

Karl has been hand matching transistors down to 1%, and really tweaking these things to perfection on every unit. I love when a tool maker goes the extra mile to make his stuff extra special. So Big Thumbs WAY up to Karl, for this precision piece. Its yet another tool, that won't be leaving my hands. Unless a good client wants to demo her The Good News is that I love buying really high end stuff, and find it is all worth saving and waiting for.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre Amp Love-npng.jpg  
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search