Focal CMS 65 - Wow!!!
swicker
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear nut

Focal CMS 65 - Wow!!!

just picked up my new set of focal cms65 monitors....

wow!!! having only used my yamaha hs80m 's before this (and a cheap set of krks).... i gotta say the tone of the focals is a WORLD of difference...

its gonna be a bit weird and im gonna have to relearn how to listen and work with these....

but immediately i think i hear much more detail in the mix, things sound alot crisper, more detailed....

kinda makes me think the yamaha's have a sort of glossiness about them, or a prettiness about them, which dont translate as that great to mix with... although they are very fun to listen to music thru... they will be a great reference monitor...

but i think these focal monitors will be a very good step towards better mixes..

had these focals' recommended to me by some of the gearslutz guys along with vintage king guys... so thanks for the help, yall!!!
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

Enjoy!
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

The CMS65s are great! Did you buy the CMS Sub as well?
swicker
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs1971 View Post
The CMS65s are great! Did you buy the CMS Sub as well?
i did not, ive been using the yamaha sub.... do you think there is a huge difference that justifies buying the focal sub??

i dont really like mixing with a sub personally... and i have the focal and the yamahas and the yamaha sub runnin thru my presonus central staion, so i can pop it in and out when i want.....

thought it wouldnt really make a huge difference buying the focal... am i wrong?
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear nut

I have been using my Focal CMS50s for almost a year now and I love them more and more each day! I didn't get the sub, mainly because of the size of my room, I just didn't feel that it was necessary.
They sound great, but I never feel like the sound "too" good. They sound natural and balanced, I absolutely love them!
swicker
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear nut

i hear ya...i dont think these sound great in the sense that they are, as you said, very natural and balanced... way more clear and i true than the yamahas....

im very happy!
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swicker View Post
i did not, ive been using the yamaha sub.... do you think there is a huge difference that justifies buying the focal sub??
I don't know the Yamaha sub, but I love what the sub brings to the table. However, I keep the level of the sub very low, so it only slighly extends the sub range instead of acting like a boom box.
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Still love mine - are these the new NS10's

I'm thinking about the trying out the PSI 17m/21m, don't know if I could part with my focal's, they always get the job done !!!
swicker
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Gear nut

Would it benefit to have these and a set of ns 10s, or are they basically doing the same thing?
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Its always useful to have multiple sets of speakers, to switch between. Its super personal. I have a pair of CMS-50 and for me using NS10's is about the same as sticking my head inside a kick drum.
swicker
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear nut

I hear ya, thnx for the thoughts..
I'm keeping these yamaha hs80m's as a second reference...
I think those r nice in the sense of, how will it sound on a nice stereo system.. N the focal monitors ill use for mixing n really disecting parts
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would it benefit to have these and a set of ns 10s, or are they basically doing the same thing?
I have both CMS65 and NS-10M (and Adam P11A) and you really can't compare the CMS65 to the NS-10M at all. And I am not one of those vintage hipsters, that believes every hype, I just got the NS-10M for very cheap and gave them a try.

There's something about the sealed cabinet + ultra low mass woofer combo that gives the NS-10 a very dry low-mid response and transient response, that i can't hear from the focals. They sound a lot more HiFi comparered.

So i would say it would be a benefit to have both, the CMS65 for broadband judgment and the NS-10M for ultradry midrange-zoom and level checking, when the bass is gone.

I should add, that i prefer the P11A over the CMS65 for the broadband task though. My stuff does not translate so well when only mixed on the CMS65, but that might be a personal thing...

PS: I wouldn't wanna mix only on NS-10M, just to make that clear. But they are great for detecting mix errors
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
just picked up my new set of focal cms65 monitors....

wow!!! having only used my yamaha hs80m 's before this (and a cheap set of krks).... i gotta say the tone of the focals is a WORLD of difference...

its gonna be a bit weird and im gonna have to relearn how to listen and work with these....

but immediately i think i hear much more detail in the mix, things sound alot crisper, more detailed....

kinda makes me think the yamaha's have a sort of glossiness about them, or a prettiness about them, which dont translate as that great to mix with... although they are very fun to listen to music thru... they will be a great reference monitor...

but i think these focal monitors will be a very good step towards better mixes..

had these focals' recommended to me by some of the gearslutz guys along with vintage king guys... so thanks for the help, yall!!!
I picked up a CMS50 really cheap back in October. thought i'd use it as a reference for checking mixes as my mains are hs80s and live with it for a few months to see if it was really as great a studio monitor as my 1st impression gave me, anyway it came to a point recently where i am relying on it more than the hs80s which are great but the Focal sound is that much more detailed and honest while being neutral.

Well i can't mix on one monitor (although i know some people do) so i'm getting the other one and this is after spending a good amount of time listening to a wide range of audio. I listen to Jazzanova for reference as it's diverse and i know the tracks very intimately and i still hear little details and nuances i haven't before.

My room isn't fully treated but i use Arc so it will be interesting to see how it will affect their response but either way it is a great nearfield monitor that i would happily mix on in it's natural state. The mids are fantastic, i set the hipass cutoff to 60hz so it's not working so hard but i have a little sub, it's not great but it allows for a more transparent midrange which the Focals do best imho.

I'm really looking forward to getting the other one anyway. I've read a few times that they need a good long burn in (1-200 hours) which i think is true if my ears don't deceive me so wait until they are fully broken in.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Okay guys I have a question for all you CM65 owners.

I have a pair, have had them for a number of months. My room is fairly small 12x9x7

I have some basstraps in the room right now and more absorbtion treatment on the way. Yes I heard a huge improvement with just 4 traps though.

I know I have a problem with room reflections.

My soundcard is NI Komplete 6. No idea how this compares to higher end gear or if there is any real difference in sound.

Now my friend has an untreated room, but it is much better than mine is in it's untreated state. So in other words by default his room is better and even now with my treatment it's high end is a bit better. Not as much echo.

Now he has Yamaha MSP7's and the Yamaha MR something converter (the one with the 8pres and it's newish)

Okay, I am hearing a lot more detail over at his house with his set up than I am with my focals. These focals have long been suspect with me.

I feel the bass is unclear, they are slow in that you can hear them sort of pump and breath a bit with the kicks. (I make dance music)

I don't hear delays and reverbs and such as well on mine, but I hear them just fine at my friends. I heard distortion better at my friends house too, on material I had heard just that morning at home but did not notice the distortion.

Now those Yamahas have a lot of high end, very fatiguing and I much prefer the overall sound of the Focals, but I feel they are just not revealing very much at all.

I might ask him to bring the speakers for a shoot-out in the same room, that should tell a lot.

Any thoughts?
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Okay, a big part of my upset with the bass was actually my room. I got some more treatment today, I had some before, but with more panels, wow this things do sound beautiful. Actually I was certain it was the speaker that was sort of breathing or pumping because of the bass, it really sounded like it was, but now I think it was the room as it has been reduced a lot.

I guess it was bass decay, it was too long. It is much shorter now.

Just goes to show you have to have a fairly well treated room for speaker evaluations to really mean anything
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

I was curious cause with Arc i have better definition in the low end and upper mids, i was gonna mention it also to help with the room or at least try Room EQ wizard. I put my 50s in my old room a few weeks ago and boy did it sound bad haha, you hear it more post treatment. I've got a small room but it's cubed so i'm in two minds about moving in there but i could set it up properly for audio. Glad to hear you got it sorted out anyway.

Oh yeah i tried inverting my 50s as well and i think they sounded better but it was odd mixing with them, the kick drum sounded like it was coming from a different location even though Focal say they're designed for it...

What stands are you using, are they decoupled and all that?
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Yes de-coupled so far as I can tell. Rubber bits where the speakers sit and rubber bits where the stand meets the floor. Big heavy metal things too.

The previous treatment I had were bass traps, but I think they are also broadband.

Thing is I didn't have them in all corners and back wall because I was using two for early reflections as they were a big problem, now however I got three broadband panels.

It's a totally different story, bass is very short and to the point and I feel like I can hear "into" my mix much more. Delays, reverb tails etc very pleased.

However all it makes me wonder is just how good does it get? More treatment!

But also now I'd love to do some more shoot outs in my room.
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
Yes de-coupled so far as I can tell. Rubber bits where the speakers sit and rubber bits where the stand meets the floor. Big heavy metal things too.

The previous treatment I had were bass traps, but I think they are also broadband.

Thing is I didn't have them in all corners and back wall because I was using two for early reflections as they were a big problem, now however I got three broadband panels.

It's a totally different story, bass is very short and to the point and I feel like I can hear "into" my mix much more. Delays, reverb tails etc very pleased.

However all it makes me wonder is just how good does it get? More treatment!

But also now I'd love to do some more shoot outs in my room.

You probably don't want any more that between 25% - 40% treatment on your wall surface depending on what your doing. that's a fairly wide range but it's normally around those figures. Of course it's got to be in the correct place. If some is good then a LOT is not necessarily better when it come to treatment. It's a balance of room sound and acoustic treatment and sometimes compromises have to be made with is.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search