New Reply
Subscribe
clivek
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Exclamation Updated my old website - What cha think ? Thanks

Hi all,

Spent a little time updating my original website I made back into 2009. Total new look and more modern feel. I need to make a cut down version for mobiles.

http://www.mixing-online.co.uk/

Seems good on Chrome and IE. Any Mac safari users out there who can check for me !

Any feedback pos or neg would be great and muchly appreciated !!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Updated my old website - What cha think ? Thanks-capture.jpg  
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
drake.ch

I get big rotating arrows on iphone
clivek
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

That's the loading splash screen ! I know there will be mobile issues at the mo !
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Your = you are? Check for typos...or get someone else to.
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

It takes too long to load (7mbs broadband) and absolutely nothing clicks through in anything other than IE.

It works OK in IE, but I can't get any other browser to work on your site.

Too much of the text contains either simple phases that just are not sentences and/or is full of grammatical errors (your does not mean you are, 'If your pressing CDs.' is not a sentence!)

People tend to not want to call mobiles, as that costs money, whereas regular land lines (in the UK) usually do not. Listing only a mobile number does not give a serious impression.

The design of the site is good, but you are asking people to trust your ability to concentrate on details and the website is full of errors.
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Your = you are? Check for typos...or get someone else to.
ok typos thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
It takes too long to load (7mbs broadband) and absolutely nothing clicks through in anything other than IE.

It works OK in IE, but I can't get any other browser to work on your site.

Too much of the text contains either simple phases that just are not sentences and/or is full of grammatical errors (your does not mean you are, 'If your pressing CDs.' is not a sentence!)

People tend to not want to call mobiles, as that costs money, whereas regular land lines (in the UK) usually do not. Listing only a mobile number does not give a serious impression.

The design of the site is good, but you are asking people to trust your ability to concentrate on details and the website is full of errors.
I've tried IE, chrome and firefox they all click through!?

Good point about the mobile thanks!

Check grammatical errors ok thanks

Loading time, I'll see what I can do about that !

Thank again
clivek
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Ok loading faster now !! Better your end ?

Working on typos and grammatical errors!
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Much faster!

Does not load in 'Flock' - I have not tried in other browsers. IE OK though.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

Great design mate! Text is easy on the eyes and I am a big fan of minimal designs.

A couple of things I would point out though:

1) JQuery is great for making much more interactive designs, but so many people forget about accessibility. I'd suggest putting a small text based navigation bar at the bottom of the site, this way users could navigate the site with their keyboard and it would probably make it easier for mobile devices. It's a pain in the arse but it is really worth it.

2) Ask yourself if you really need a splash screen. Your site is pretty small and minimal, apart from the odd image and occasional JavaScript effect, it is pretty text based. It shouldn't take people too long to load on an average broadband connection (I get terrible internet in the south of England yet I can load small web pages in seconds).

The problem with the intro splash is that it seems to be having a backwards effect and making your site load more slowly - the less unnecessary scripting the better!

3) Validate your contact form! I'm sorry, I hit send without typing anything, being a web developer it's something I do whenever anyone asks me to check out their site... I didn't check your source but from the message box that I got it told me the mail was sent, even though the fields were empty. I can see you have some client side validation going on checking whether stuff is entered, but it's not being used to stop empty messages. Like I say, I didn't have time to check the source, either that or it is but you haven't edited your info box text!

Otherwise it's a really great site, you should be proud. I especially like the gallery section, really clean and great use of imagery.

Jake
clivek
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake24 View Post
Great design mate! Text is easy on the eyes and I am a big fan of minimal designs.

A couple of things I would point out though:

1) JQuery is great for making much more interactive designs, but so many people forget about accessibility. I'd suggest putting a small text based navigation bar at the bottom of the site, this way users could navigate the site with their keyboard and it would probably make it easier for mobile devices. It's a pain in the arse but it is really worth it.

2) Ask yourself if you really need a splash screen. Your site is pretty small and minimal, apart from the odd image and occasional JavaScript effect, it is pretty text based. It shouldn't take people too long to load on an average broadband connection (I get terrible internet in the south of England yet I can load small web pages in seconds).

The problem with the intro splash is that it seems to be having a backwards effect and making your site load more slowly - the less unnecessary scripting the better!

3) Validate your contact form! I'm sorry, I hit send without typing anything, being a web developer it's something I do whenever anyone asks me to check out their site... I didn't check your source but from the message box that I got it told me the mail was sent, even though the fields were empty. I can see you have some client side validation going on checking whether stuff is entered, but it's not being used to stop empty messages. Like I say, I didn't have time to check the source, either that or it is but you haven't edited your info box text!

Otherwise it's a really great site, you should be proud. I especially like the gallery section, really clean and great use of imagery.

Jake
Hi Jake,

Thanks for taking the time to check through the site!

Nice idea about the quick links at the bottom. I'm currently doing a intro video
which I want to link to from the bottom of the page also!

Yeah the splash screen has been buggin me too. Yes its definitely causing a few probs on some browsers! It's only there for looks, but i do like this instead of the website jumping to the home page !

Yes the contact page isn't quite working right with the validation! Having probs with that one at the moment. Still messages do get through

Thanks again

Ps, found this handy free software for checking spelling and grammar for anyone else who's having these issues lol

Grammar and Spell Checker for Better English Communication - Ginger Software
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear interested

No problem Clive,

If you are struggling with the validation, Ketchup is a pretty powerful JQuery validation plugin and easy to install (no, I don't work for them )

jQuery Ketchup Plugin - Documentation

Quote:
Yeah the splash screen has been buggin me too. Yes its definitely causing a few probs on some browsers! It's only there for looks, but i do like this instead of the website jumping to the home page !
I know what your saying, on one project I spent far too long making sure that the radio buttons fit in with the style of my text fields... In reality, nobody other than yourself really cares about anything other than how long they have to wait. The website jumping to the homepage is so common that people won't notice it. Having said that, if it really bugs you you could always consider just having the elements subtly fade in at the same time.

Feel free to give me a PM if you wanted any help with anything.

Jake
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

The site seems good, but takes a long time to load. Would be nice if you also showed the heading somewhere instead of having to scroll over the image the whole time. Additionally, would be great if you could give an idea of pricing somewhere on the site.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search