Login / Register
 
Everybody's abandoning iLok
New Reply
Subscribe
Silver Sonya
Thread Starter
#1
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,463

Thread Starter
Silver Sonya is online now
Everybody's abandoning iLok

Waves is ceasing iLok.

Brainworx has their new plug-in alliance thing.

This is the year everyone begins to shed the dongle.

I'm grateful. I have no love for this company.

They have no policy in place if you lose your iLok. They refused to institute one, even though they could have used passwords as a backup. Plus, $25 transfer fee? Give me a break. I'm paying you to protect another company from theft and then you want me to pay a $25 transfer fee? Amazing business model. Lemme guess, it's for "labor costs?" Nice work if you can get it.

For these reasons alone, I won't miss them when they're gone.

- c
__________________
www.soundcloud.com/beautypill
www.twitter.com/beautypill
#2
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
  #2
Gear nut
 
cebec's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 94

cebec is offline
I avoid iLok.

For example, the other night I was very interested in demo'ing UBK-1 and changed my mind after I read it requires iLok.
Quote
5
#3
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
  #3
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 473

mixmixmix is offline
iLOk should die.; There are better ways to fight piracy.
Quote
2
#4
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
  #4
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Quincy, MA
Posts: 10,041

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Doc Mixwell is offline
They need a new customer support program to help called, "ILOST"
Quote
1
#5
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
JustinAiken's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Southern UT
Posts: 1,287

JustinAiken is offline
Hey, iLok isn't all lost dongles and transfer fees - you're forgetting the virus-like drivers needed!
__________________

Quote
1
#6
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
  #6
Gear nut
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Aylesbury, Untied Kingdom
Posts: 116

suzzymackenzie is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebec View Post
I avoid iLok.

For example, the other night I was very interested in demo'ing UBK-1 and changed my mind after I read it requires iLok.
Ditto I, for Synthogy Ivory. My Cubase dongle is quite enough donglery, thank you.
Quote
1
#7
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
  #7
Kills for gear
 
jeremy.c.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Beagle Rock
Posts: 4,555

jeremy.c. is offline
The other amazing bit is how they have a virtual monopoly on what they do in a small enough industry that they can get away with horrible business practices (I'm going thru this EXACT issue with Final Draft writing software).
There is no excuse for a gatekeeping company to not be compatible with all OS options, and yet, I can't install anything on either of my Win 7 64bit machines. I have to move to a 32bit browser on XP in order to update a license. For a company that gets away with no replacement for loss scenario and a $25 xfer fee this is ridiculous and only allowed to continue because they basically have no real competition.
__________________
It's just a flesh wound!
Quote
1
#8
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,140

work2do is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Waves is ceasing iLok.

Brainworx has their new plug-in alliance thing.

This is the year everyone begins to shed the dongle.

I'm grateful. I have no love for this company.

They have no policy in place if you lose your iLok. They refused to institute one, even though they could have used passwords as a backup. Plus, $25 transfer fee? Give me a break. I'm paying you to protect another company from theft and then you want me to pay a $25 transfer fee? Amazing business model. Lemme guess, it's for "labor costs?" Nice work if you can get it.

For these reasons alone, I won't miss them when they're gone.

- c
I understand and I love it. But the plug alliance stuff has not been "safe". How long can they survive that fact until they put something much more deeper onto everyone's computers as protection.
#9
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 4,578

The Beatsmith is offline
Steven Slate still flying the flag, and proud
#10
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,537

SWAN808 is online now
as well as lexicon, and softube, sonnox, abbey rd...URS...
#11
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Canada/Mexico
Posts: 2,269

Solar is offline
Although I do have iLok 1st gen & second but I must admit, I hate it. As long as there is room for the user to save all their Product Key Authorization in a backup USB key (in case there is a internet connection failure) etc.. etc.. then All good with the Cloud new thing.

Also the ability to be able to Authorize more then 1 computer is A MUST (without extra $$$ porfavor)
Quote
1
#12
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
bendermastering's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 627

bendermastering is offline
Main problem is that all those new plugins without iLok are being cracked the day they are out, like what happened with the new plug-in alliance stuff.

Truth is I won't buy more plug-ins without a valid protection system because otherwise it will be cracked and you'll have a tool with no value to your studio as everyone will get it illegally.

We need to add value to our studios, and plug-ins that are cracked loose their value because everyone has them on their laptops... It is a bad investment right now, IMO.
__________________
Miguel Marques

// Bender Mastering Studio - My studio website.
// BLENDER - My personal blog. Some gear reviews there.
#13
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 566

voidar is offline
Why don't you ask the moving-away-from-iLok companies what they charge for selling your lincenses. If they even allow that.

The way I see it. Either you're a small company (one guy) selling quality plugins cheap (Cytomic, DMG etc.) or you sell expenssive "industry standard" plugins like Waves.
You might at one stage say f**k off to the plugin world and decide to sell them off. Well, not anymore.

iLok actually gave the plugins some resale value. Buying into Brainworx/SPL and Waves stuff is not an investment anymore. Now it's just a virtual commodity.

My ten kroner.
#14
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #14
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 15,066

drBill is offline
Every time I mix somewhere else - I love iLok.

Every time I upgrade my OS - I love iLok.

Every time I upgrade the plug itself - I love iLok.

So simple, so easy. Can't understand the hate. Never had a problem.

They have saved me literally HUNDREDS of hours of time.

Quote
2
#15
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
diogo_c's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: BHZ/MG - Brazil
Posts: 2,754

Send a message via Skype™ to diogo_c
diogo_c is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Every time I mix somewhere else - I love iLok.

Every time I upgrade my OS - I love iLok.

Every time I upgrade the plug itself - I love iLok.

So simple, so easy. Can't understand the hate. Never had a problem.

They have saved me literally HUNDREDS of hours of time.

I wanna see where all that love goes when you lose your ilok.
#16
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #16
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 15,066

drBill is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I wanna see where all that love goes when you lose your ilok.
That's never going to happen. I'm a responsible person.....
Quote
1
#17
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
  #17
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 123

Ric4001 is offline
I don't understand the hate for ilok either. I'm so sick of pulling up a program that requires challenge-response authorization only to find that my authorization is dead because of some system change I made. And I write music on my Windows laptop, record it on my Mac laptop and edit it/mix it on my Mac Pro or my Windows desktop. I can't do that with software that gives me only limited authorizations. With ilok, I have complete freedom which computer I use.
Quote
2
#18
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
  #18
Gear interested
 
Kill's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 17

Kill is offline
Great, right when I get one. Now I can't feel better than anyone.., darn
#19
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
  #19
Gear maniac
 
farhadkd's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 181

Send a message via Skype™ to farhadkd
farhadkd is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Every time I mix somewhere else - I love iLok.

Every time I upgrade my OS - I love iLok.

Every time I upgrade the plug itself - I love iLok.

So simple, so easy. Can't understand the hate. Never had a problem.

They have saved me literally HUNDREDS of hours of time.

What he said....wise words indeed....
Quote
1
#20
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
sound_music's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728

sound_music is offline
i never understood the ilok hate either, i think it's way more convenient than authorization codes and all that...

i agree 25 bucks is steep for the transfers, which are all handled by computers and cost the company very little comparatively... but there are tonnes of advantages to the system itself.
#21
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: europe austria
Posts: 1,642

eddierodriguez is offline
do we really want to know how much waves will ask for a resale...
#22
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
  #22
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 221

Exxille is offline
Yes Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidar View Post
Main problem is that all those new plugins without iLok are being cracked the day they are out, like what happened with the new plug-in alliance stuff.

Truth is I won't buy more plug-ins without a valid protection system because otherwise it will be cracked and you'll have a tool with no value to your studio as everyone will get it illegally.

We need to add value to our studios, and plug-ins that are cracked loose their value because everyone has them on their laptops... It is a bad investment right now, IMO.
Well I would agree as I am in this exact boat as I own waves mercury and SSL TDM bundles with 5 years worth of WUP paid, along with a host of other ilok based plugs. However waves and ilok v1 was cracked last year so every high school rapper currently has them on their laptop. I wonder why they did not stick with the new v2 ilok standard however (maybe cost), the hackers seem to be having as much trouble with that as they did with v1 which took 7 years + to crack. The real commodity lies in having the plugs and not knowing how to use them or hiring an engineer who is not good wit them.
#23
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 
superwack's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 2,165

superwack is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
do we really want to know how much waves will ask for a resale...
I emailed Waves Support last week (and again when V9 was announced) about their transfer policy - and if/how it will change with V9.., still no answer. I have some bundles I've been trying to sell and am worried if I update the others to V9 I'll be stuck (a la the plugin alliance)
__________________
-
"You only have a certain amount of headroom with Pro Tools... if you start pushing it a little bit too hard it's starts squawking like a chicken, if you go too low, it starts squawkin', you have to work within a certain realm otherwise you get zapped either way!" - Tad Donley (2006)
-
#24
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Lute's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 1,824

Lute is offline
Maybe these companies believe the Mayan's
#25
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
  #25
Gear nut
 
Smithers's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Brooklyn!!!
Posts: 145

Smithers is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendermastering View Post
Main problem is that all those new plugins without iLok are being cracked the day they are out, like what happened with the new plug-in alliance stuff.

Truth is I won't buy more plug-ins without a valid protection system because otherwise it will be cracked and you'll have a tool with no value to your studio as everyone will get it illegally.

We need to add value to our studios, and plug-ins that are cracked loose their value because everyone has them on their laptops... It is a bad investment right now, IMO.
I agree with the "adding value" part of this, but outside of that i'm afraid your argument is pretty thin. I suspect the main reasons it took the hacking community so long to crack ilok was because

a: there weren't enough hackers interested in spending the time
b: the tech needed was too expensive

with i7 computers and an obvious set of skilled hackers interested, nowadays neither of these play a factor. If hackers can get facebook, and shut down the psn at will, ilok stands no chance. Plus we're in the era where tech is so cheap everyone will have what the pro's own anyway. When I bought logic it was $1000 bucks and came in a box the size of the mac i used it on; now its a $200 download. The only real "Value" in our studios nowadays is the engineers running the joint and the quality of work they produce.

I personally dont have a problem with ilok, i think it's pretty convenient. But then again, I only use my laptop or my desktop and since most "license based" developers offer the "1 mobile, 1 desktop" license I also like them too. Even If i use a different facility I use my laptop anyway. But i'm not banning a software because they use ilok and I want some "guaranteed" protection. I personally feel worse about UAD and the whole "DSP" thing. With 12core i7's why the F*&k do I care about a sharc chip. Just give me an ilok or something and send me on my way. (Dont own the 12core macpro by the way, but it certainly has more usefulness than 4 Sharc chips)

Ilok does need a policy on lost/damaged iloks though, I hear it can be a real nightmare for some. I damaged mines before, but it didn't kill me to get up and running again
__________________
www.perionsmith.com

"Tis wisdom which thou hath spoken from thine lips, peradventure, thus typith such thing with thine own hands. And the world shall see thine myspace page in all its wonderous glory; and behold, it will count as one view. For now the children of intel shall follow me, on twitter, out of the wilderness" - P. Smith.

Either it's Perion Smith or it didn't happen!!
Quote
1
#26
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
  #26
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 81

Jonathanvl is offline
i just recently got an iLok.. bought Slate VCC second hand, and needed an iLok, which i have been trying to avoid for the last 8 years or so.. I hate the thing :D

No problem when i'm at home, but if i'm in another studio working on projects, and i forget my iLok, i'm stuck.. For now it's not a such bad thing, i can still do mixes without iLok, because i only have 1 plugin that needs it, but if you're relying on a lot of iLok-plugins i wouldn't even dare taking that thing on the road :D
#27
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dublin , Ireland
Posts: 2,185

rhythmtech is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Steven Slate still flying the flag, and proud
cause he bought into ilok2 and is probably in contract. he already hinted in the vcc thread that he wasnt expecting all the hassles.
#28
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
  #28
Gear interested
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: New Brunswick

caligotbeatz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxille View Post
Well I would agree as I am in this exact boat as I own waves mercury and SSL TDM bundles with 5 years worth of WUP paid, along with a host of other ilok based plugs. However waves and ilok v1 was cracked last year so every high school rapper currently has them on their laptop. I wonder why they did not stick with the new v2 ilok standard however (maybe cost), the hackers seem to be having as much trouble with that as they did with v1 which took 7 years + to crack. The real commodity lies in having the plugs and not knowing how to use them or hiring an engineer who is not good wit them.
You bring up a great point. That i myself would argue, if the market for great plugins becomes saturated on every would be musicans laptop due to cracks those tools we use dont become any less valuable but in reverse brings up the value of the real engineers who can man and operate those plugins.

sent from Fourty Acre Studios
#29
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
  #29
Pragmatic Snob
 
u b k's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Land of Sunshine
Posts: 12,237

u b k is offline
FWIW, iLok 1 wasn't cracked; what was cracked was the software inside it.

PACE subsequently plugged the hole in that code and tightened it up, and iLok 1 is secure again. If you were a high-profile developer who had an iLok-1-protected plugin on the market before that crack, your plugin was probably cracked too because your code was wide open at that moment.

But for those of us who've released plugins since Pace plugged the hole, iLok 1 is secure once again.

I can tell you this much: the UBK-1 would've been cracked straight out of the gate if not for the iLok 1, and if that'd happened I would've ended my plugin career lickety split. Not that anyone cares about that, but something to think about as you cross your fingers and hope for the demise of iLok is that, in the absence of something equally robust, some of us will simply seek greener pastures.

What's interesting to me is that UAD's setup is a gigantic dongle that requires a slot in your computer or a firewire port and a small-pizza-box sized space on your desk. The overwhelming majority of people seem grateful for the chance to use their proprietary scheme, maybe if the ilok installed inside the computer, out of sight, it would become similarly invisible to people.

The iLok is portable, takes up the same space as a thumb drive, and gives you access to any number of developer's products. And know this: if you're a customer of Kush and you lose your iLok, just write to us and we'll drop you a 90-day license right then and there, that should give you plenty of time to sort it out with Pace. I can't imagine the other developers who use Pace not doing the same, it's a small industry and a good bunch of people running these little companies.


Gregory Scott - ubk
__________________


Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher

.........

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher
____________________
Quote
1
#30
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 
LeMauce's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Paris and around the world
Posts: 2,224

Send a message via Skype™ to LeMauce
LeMauce is offline
Right on! Thats was some helpfull info and also great point of view in service terms!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
AlexLakis / Music Computers
4
henryrobinett / Music Computers
5
hansendesigns / Low End Theory
5
whoriental / Low End Theory
15

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.