Pendulum MDP-1 is a winner
New Reply
Subscribe
AllBread
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

Pendulum MDP-1 is a winner

Got it Friday, tracked vocals where it went from transparent to larger than life (i chose larger than life) with the internal gain structure and today used both sides as a DI for keys. Doesn't get nasty - just hi-fi or big. Exactly what I was looking for in a tube pre. Not a bad deal new but at used prices a no brainer.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Got it Friday, tracked vocals where it went from transparent to larger than life (i chose larger than life) with the internal gain structure and today used both sides as a DI for keys. Doesn't get nasty - just hi-fi or big. Exactly what I was looking for in a tube pre. Not a bad deal new but at used prices a no brainer.
I have the Quartet, and love what it is able to do to certain sources (vocals, mono OH, etc), and use the pre often in the mixing stage using the line input, and blowing things up/smoothing things out when needed.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear nut

I Totally Agree About the MDP-1

Aloha,

The Pendulum MDP-1a is my absolute favorite preamp on acoustic instruments & my vocals, by far. It also makes the Schoeps & Neumann mic's I have sparkle for those applications.

In the last year, I've sold a Great River MP-2NV, A-Designs Pacifica & a John Hardy M-1 because I wasn't using them anymore. The MDP-1a is my first choice everytime for my recording projects.

I have auditioned just about every mic & pre combo that's come down the pike for the last 50 years (a hobby). For stereo miking of solo acoustic guitar, there has not been any other combo that to my ears could touch the Schoeps CMC641-MDP-1a.

It really IS a winner! One that more players & engineers should own, IMO. Pendulum's Greg Gualtieri is a genius!

alohachris
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
I absolutely love Pendulum hardware, especially the MDP-1. Congrats!!!
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Guru

I love my MDP-1 for almost everything. I even take it to classical remotes.

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear addict

This was the first high end pre I ever bought. (Sometime back in 2001, I think) In my 11 years of ownership, it's always delivered great results. Great pre.

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com
AllBread
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

Does anyone have the Jensen transformer on one side and their custom transformer on the other? It's definitely going to be my dedicated vocal pre and I wonder if the custom really is better for vox. Mine has the jensensand sounds fantastic on vocals.
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

Frankly, it kick ass over any API or Neve I've ever used.

It is surprising it does not have a more legendary status.
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to a2dpapi
Curious as to what you like the Pendulum on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave gross View Post
I have the Quartet, and love what it is able to do to certain sources (vocals, mono OH, etc), and use the pre often in the mixing stage using the line input, and blowing things up/smoothing things out when needed.
What do you track with it? Where does it shine. What do you see your self using it on at mix time. Interesting!
www.littlefishaudio.com
Toll Free: (877) 44-AUDIO
sales@littlefishaudio.com

Unrivaled experience in recording at the highest level.
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear nut

pendulum=my favorite

you know how much I love pendulum?

This much:
Attached Thumbnails
Pendulum MDP-1 is a winner-pendulum_audiorack.jpeg  
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear nut

How would the Pendulum MDP-1a work as an electric guitar preamp into some light digital modelling like Guitar Rig?

Also, what sort of effect would it have on a budget dynamic like the Shure SM58?
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2dpapi View Post
What do you track with it? Where does it shine. What do you see your self using it on at mix time. Interesting!
Track many things with it, but favorites have been vocals, OH and electric bass. During mix (using the line input) I find electric guitars get a little more glue and control by hitting the first input stage of the preamp a little harder. Also, the opto compression and EQ are stellar on vocals.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Dunnet View Post

Also, what sort of effect would it have on a budget dynamic like the Shure SM58?
I've paired my MDP-1a with a 58 or beta 58 so many times. For me, it's a nice combo. Like any great preamp, it reveals the full potential of a microphone whether it's a cheap $100 dynamic or a $2000 vintage condenser.

Now whether or not it's the right combo for the source is a question only you can answer.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
member no 666

They're awesome in any form... but personally I prefer the MDP-1b to the MDP-1a... as always, YMMV.

Peace

CN Fletcher

Professional Affiliation:

R/E/P Professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzlemusic View Post
you know how much I love pendulum?

This much:
That's a whole lotta love. Sweet. I'd invest in the additional rack screws though.
AllBread
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris View Post
Thanks for the report. By any chance did you run a digital piano through the Pendulum or a synth ?
Indeed I did. I have a client who shows up once every year and just bangs out as many standards and blues numbers as he can in four hours. I put the MDP-1a in the booth with him, plugged the output of his keyboard into the DI outputs and fed line level into the control room. Definitely added some depth and "realism" to his keyboard. it was well noted by both myself and the client vs our previous recording sessions (where, god forbid, I had used my Neve pres on his keyboard).

I also have a 4 pack of vintage API pres. I love them as well but they are more "in your face" where as the Pendulum is more three dimensional. I still prefer the API's (or, even better, my Chandlers) on guitar amps but I'm loving the Pendulum for vocals, acoustic guitars and anything that needs a DI. I have yet to run a full mix through it's line inputs but don't worry, it's on the list of things to do someday.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear maniac

Does it really only have 30db of gain? I was set on purchasing a GTQ2 but now I'm curious about the pendulum...
Anyone have both?

This would be primarily for vocals and acoustic guitar.
Also, I'd love to run mixes through whatever I choose... I'm doing that now with my API a2d and liking the results.

Dan
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
That's a whole lotta love. Sweet. I'd invest in the additional rack screws though.
Haha nah they sound better with just the two!
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobud View Post
Does it really only have 30db of gain? I was set on purchasing a GTQ2 but now I'm curious about the pendulum...
Anyone have both?

This would be primarily for vocals and acoustic guitar.
Also, I'd love to run mixes through whatever I choose... I'm doing that now with my API a2d and liking the results.

Dan
It has a gain range of 30 dB, but it starts at +33 dB. In other words, the range of gain is +33 dB to +63 dB. This is for the mic pre. There's a -20 dB pad for the mic pre.

As to the DI the range is +20 dB to +50 dB.

There is also the output attenuator.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks for that... I knew I must have misinterpreted the spec.

I'll start my own thread when I'm closer to purchasing to ask about comparisons between the two.

Dan
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear maniac

Awesome mic pre, sounds great on pretty much everything! I have 2 and would happy to have another. I have Great River, Avalon, API and BAE preamps as well and usually end up with the MDP-1.
http://www.wilburland.com
AllBread
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburguy View Post
Awesome mic pre, sounds great on pretty much everything! I have 2 and would happy to have another. I have Great River, Avalon, API and BAE preamps as well and usually end up with the MDP-1.
Just clicked your studio link - what a place! Looks utterly fantastic. I bookmarked it for next time I need a vacation to do some recording - sometimes it's good to get out of town to make some music!
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear addict

My MDP-1a was sounding huge yesterday on a live in-studio session with Bhi Bhiman. Began the session using a shadow hills GAMA8.... Quickly switched to the Pendulum.

Vox: RCA 44bx--> MDP1-->Urei La3a-->Clariphonic (Focus: open-diffuse)
Acstc Guitar '41 Gibson SJ: Neumann Km86 (figure 8)-->MDP1-->Urei La3a-->API 5500

I was smiling ...upon playback, so was the artist.
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

Pendulum
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to ISedlacek
I used to have Pendulum MDP-1 for about 2 years. It is nice preamp but in the end I sold it. It did not have much of tube character and had some emphasis in the high frequency region that I liked less and less ... After that I tried La Chapell but in the end I got Thermionic Earlybird that I like much more than any of these (very detailed, balanced and very noble "velvety" sound - big upgrade for me)
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Gear interested

Okay, I'm in over my head. I'm using a borrowed Pendulum MDP-1 with an ADK A-51-tl for vocals, maybe for acoustic guitar later. Gain is set about 51, the meter "wiggles", output is around 6, set for Logic's input.

It sounds incredible! (Bluebirds)

So what else can I do with it, overdrive the gain...plug passive guitar pups in? What are its strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks,

Works in Progress
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Love mine. Sounds great what ever I put through it.
20th April 2012
Old 20th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinrowell View Post
So what else can I do with it, overdrive the gain..?
you can by turning down the outputs and cranking the inputs, but to be honest, this is not my favorite Pendulum sound. A little drive sounds nice, but to me it's too lovely a preamp to use it as a fuzz box.
20th April 2012
Old 20th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinrowell View Post

So what else can I do with it, overdrive the gain...
I've found this to be one of the weaknesses of the mdp1. I tried swapping all kinds of tubes in there and was never that excited about the way it breaks up when the input is pushed to the extreme.

For another use, try patching your 2mix through the line inputs. Seems to make things sound bigger and wider without being louder.... If that makes any sense. I've been using it that way a lot lately and enjoying it.
AllBread
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

I've gotten some great distorted vocal sounds out of it lately when using a hot condenser mic, cranking the gain knob and driving the output into a compressor. I think that it breaks up quite nicely and works great for edgy vocals that are still easy on the ears (i.e. it's definitely distorting but doesn't sound broken).

Had it close to a year now and my only complaint is that the power switch is on the back!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search