Sold my mics and pres - making better music than ever
New Reply
Subscribe
Shaolin
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Sold my mics and pres - making better music than ever

These days I don't have enough time to mess about with shootouts and mic placements in a recording session. It's not that it bores me, I just don't have enough time.

So I got myself some modest (ok cheap) MIDI drums and DI'd the guitar and bass into a stereo pre. I had the band I was recording play through monitoring amps and the auxiliary inputs on my monitor controller. Not a great sound, but ok for tracking - I dialed in some distortion for he rhythm guitar.

After that, I used EZ Drummer and pod. It's not purist, but the 6-7 hours I saved in tacking went on comping, editing and mixing and the tracks were all the better for that. I'm nowhere near a major label guy so I can totally justify this.

I'm selling off my collection of mics and pres.

Time saved, money earned, results improved. Yeah!
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear Guru

Sounds like you are a musician and not a engineer.
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear maniac

this does not please me
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

I sold my mics and pres for a top end mic and a top end pre- making better music than ever
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear maniac

+1 for all above.

Sent from my GT-S5830B using Gearslutz.com
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear interested

same old story...

I don't think you can make a record like Metallica's black album without multi-million equipment and production.

But I don't think you can make a record like the Black Sabbath's first one without being on a budget and hurried.

People that says that you can't make good music being poor are as wrong as the ones that says that you can't make good music when you are rich.

The problem is trying to be anyone that you are certanly not. The french duo Air are a pair of rich kids who never tried to fool anyone into thinking they are streetwise rappers from da' hood. They make music as rich kids. And they're pretty good. A friend of mine is always seeking to make music in his humble home studio with his humble band but trying to trick people into they are Muse or Radiohead recording in Abbey Road or Oceanway. Guess what?. He sucks.
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMartin View Post

A friend of mine is always seeking to make music in his humble home studio with his humble band but trying to trick people into they are Muse or Radiohead recording in Abbey Road or Oceanway. Guess what?. He sucks.
I have a friend like that too... Poor him.
Shaolin
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Yes I am a musician first, then an engineer. And this is just what works for me. To each his own. I can see how this would really bother the die hard engineer (with deep pockets and time on his hands.) I'm sure Metallica and Muse would not want me anywhere near their records.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search