Katy Perry at the American Music Awards
Chris Lago
21st November 2011
Old 21st November 2011
Katy Perry at the American Music Awards

Listening to her on tv right now, she sounds awesome! To all the haters, and the people who always say that she can't perform live, well check out the performance, thanks.

21st November 2011
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah those mime tracks sound great...

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz.com
Chris Lago
21st November 2011
Old 21st November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I don't think you checked, it was only her and her guitar, no backup track. You kinda burnt yourself by not even watching it.
21st November 2011
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear

Erm, it was a joke man....chillax!

I dont live in the US so don't have a way to watch it. Twas a joke...hence the
21st November 2011
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear

I think K Perry is great..she is popular mainly because her songs are great!
21st November 2011
Old 21st November 2011
Manic Modulator

Yeah, what a talent :P

21st November 2011
Old 21st November 2011
Gear Head

The music is silly, no matter how well she performs it
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I love her....

Though not for her music!
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Listening to her on tv right now, she sounds awesome! To all the haters, and the people who always say that she can't perform live, well check out the performance, thanks.

she is amazing. i get a lot of shit for liking her music, but i dont care. that girl can sing!!!!!
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I like her, too. And my musical preferences are contemporary classical, experimental electronica, indie rock, world music, jazz, even free jazz of better sort, but I noticed her.

I once saw "Fireworks" on TV and thought - this is superficial and stupid only on the surface - but looking at it differently - this is really great modern pop - the girl can sing, has some special appeal in the voice and appearance (quasi naive, but underneath sexy and innocent beauty, but raw and wild at the same time), the music sounds robotic at a first listen, but it is quite groovy, and actually partly played - real instruments among all that synth stuff, clever arrangement, outstanding vocal production - so much attention towards details - of course this is not to be compared to some great classical, indian or persian classical or soul singers, but in a field of its own - it is a very good vocal achievement - it communicates with audience, it doesn't stay on the surface AND the songs have some MOJO - she has that "something".
I could never grew really fond of a more crazy Lady Gaga or either a very sexy Rihanna or a pioneer of that kind of girly pop - Britney Spears - they just don't seem to have that kind of voice and some sort of intelligence that Katy Perry has. (ok, Lady Gaga is cool and intelligent, but doesn't have that "something" that appeals to me in Katy - and no, it's not the looks).

If she would be really smart she would invite those "Dirty Loops" guys to be her live band and also made a funky acid-jazz-pop record with them. Sharing the mic with their singer... That could be really great.

So, yeah, despite otherwise having a completely opposite music preference, I listen to her music on a mp3 player while jogging. It is uplifting, groovy, intelligent (in a tongue in cheek kind of way - "Peacock", etc. ) enough not to insult me.

edit: just saw that live video - yes, she has some special charisma and I think I like the colour of her voice and if it's true that the soul reflects in your voice - she must have a nice soul - there is something I like in that voice, although there are thousands of technically better singers.
Chris Lago
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
I think people forget that she is a classically trained singer.
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dream theater are full of virtuoso musicians but to many, they sound like someone's nails slowly being scraped across a blackboard.
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post

First thing I thought when she started playing the RECORDER was, "Man, that doesn't sound at all like a recorder, it sure sounds like a flute...Oh, now that makes sense."
Chris Lago
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
Dream theater are full of virtuoso musicians but to many, they sound like someone's nails slowly being scraped across a blackboard.
I personally like the band a lot, too bad they kicked Mike Portnoy out of it.
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:

I've seen her play with that jazz group on MTV a while ago, she's defintely talented. It's just that her songs are all so... dumb.
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Can't vouch for her musicianship as the songs she sings are so puerile, I'm reaching for the off button after a few seconds. Mind you, the market she's aimed at expect puerile, most of em are young kids.

She might be OK in 10 years or so..............
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear interested

She CAN sing.
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I watched the video... she sounded great but looked hideous!

And I normally think she is very attractive. This whole "lets look as crazy as possible" thing has got to stop.
23rd November 2011
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear doesn't kill people.

Terrible song. Perry was her usual bland and mediocre self. Her backing singers were good, nearly masking Ms. Perry's vocal deficiencies. Those girls are wasted singing crap like that behind someone like her.
nms
25th November 2011
Old 25th November 2011
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
Terrible song. Perry was her usual bland and mediocre self. Her backing singers were good, nearly masking Ms. Perry's vocal deficiencies. Those girls are wasted singing crap like that behind someone like her.
lol. Quite the judgment you throw around there. If the rest of the world starts agreeing with you she'd better watch out!
25th November 2011
Old 25th November 2011
Gear doesn't kill people.

So the "rest of the world" likes her? Really? All 6 billion plus? I must be wrong then...
25th November 2011
Old 25th November 2011
Gear maniac

I've seen Katy Perry sucking live enough to question whether she was lip syncing or not. What makes you so sure she WAS singing live?
25th November 2011
Old 25th November 2011
Lives for gear
Personally, I've found she can be a bit hit or miss. Some live performances I would be ashamed of..

But still even the best of us have bad days, I keeps seeming to have them more often since I started smoking again ooopps..

God damn music business stress.. .
Chris Lago
25th November 2011
Old 25th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsplace View Post
I've seen Katy Perry sucking live enough to question whether she was lip syncing or not. What makes you so sure she WAS singing live?
She was performing just her and her guitar.
25th November 2011
Old 25th November 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe the video isn't tracking properly, but it looks like she's lipsyncing.

26th November 2011
Old 26th November 2011
Lives for gear

Check out some old vids of her years ago playing in LA with just an acoustic guitar under her real name Katy Hudson. Great voice back then.
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post

why is her legs all shiny like that mmmmmmmphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
3rd December 2011
Old 3rd December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
Maybe the video isn't tracking properly, but it looks like she's lipsyncing.

I think there are some tracking issues with the vid...but at 2:16 it def sounds like a live vocal. Then there are those cans to deal with...yowzers..
3rd December 2011
Old 3rd December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist!

D'oh!
3rd December 2011
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

She is pretty badass. A lot of the Max Martin/Dr. Luke songs are pretty generic to me but her last album had some pretty sick songs on them. Very well written. I personally find the production to be a bit on the underwhelming side overall, but the strength of the songs more than makes up for it in most cases. Good straight up pop.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search