I figured out MOTU BPM 1.5
restpause
4th June 2011
Old 4th June 2011
restpause

I figured out MOTU BPM 1.5

I'm feeling pretty good; I finally figured out mostly how to use MOTU BPM 1.5 and it's sounding pretty good. Some of the presets kits are a bit cheesy but it only takes seconds to morph them into formidable patterns.

I've always had some trouble with percussion but have been more comfortable with drum machines. Even though this is software, it's workflow is kind of like a drum machine. I like the sounds in Beat Thang Virtual, but this has a more sophisticated interface.

Usually making music stresses me out, but this puts some of the fun back into the equation.
4th June 2011
Old 4th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroidmist View Post
Usually making music stresses me out...
???

That sounds terribly sad!

Anyway, I have BPM but have never managed the time to sit down and learn it. I will set aside a day soon to dig in.

- c
restpause
5th June 2011
Old 5th June 2011
restpause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
???

That sounds terribly sad!

Anyway, I have BPM but have never managed the time to sit down and learn it. I will set aside a day soon to dig in.

- c
Yeah, making music always stresses me out because I want the mix quality to sound great but I'm not that great of a mixer. Also, I like complex tunes but I don't know how to manage all that complexity without spoiling the mix or burning out during the composition process.

I definately have a love/hate relationship with music-making.

I hope you will give BPM a try. I figured out the CPU load seems to work better with it set at 48 kHz instead of 44.1 kHz. Just read the manual for everything and it's not so bad. The 2nd 1/2 of the manual is just lists of presets so the manual is actually not that bad.
20th July 2011
Old 20th July 2011
Gear maniac

I can actually relate to the feeling of being stressed by music composition but it was related to buggy drivers, software, gear and underperforming and underpowered computers.... from an EMU Emulator X/1212M with its high CPU and sample demands as well as buggy drivers and a confusing, congested patchmix mixer....

to an Mbox that just quit working after a half a dozen uses with some random error message saying it was unable to connect to hardware....

to an Event Ezbus that didn't ever cooperate with my XP Dell but worked about perfect with my friends XP Dell two years after I had given up on it...

to Kore Player not cooperating with my Line 6 Midi controller...

or Sonar's semi-frequent instability-liked the GUI and the program otherwise but would crash a few times a week and just shut off and need restarting. It was a free bundled LE version though so that didnt bother me nearly as much as having invested in a paid version that didnt work properly.

The Roland-Edirol PCR300 was buggy too and even though they had some great people at tech support I had to return it in the end bc I just couldnt get it all working properly-maybe it was partially user error or lack of understanding but I don't regret taking it back and moving on-cutting off the hassle early-too bad though bc it had a nice keybed for its price range, some great feeling knobs and I thought it was cool that it came with a crossfader too. Maybe I'll buy again with one of their more updated versions bc of the customer service and quality of the unit-maybe they ironed out the bugs over time.

I even had some MPC crashing until I called tech support and found out that I was saving things incorrectly and was screwing up the formatting of the compact flash card-but since then it has been rock solid. Had some issues with Yamahas arcaine menu system on my Motif for quite a while until a friend with one helped me out a little but haven't had any issues navigating it for quite a while now and actually works really well when midi syncd with the MPC. I occasionally learn something new about the Motifs features but theres still so much about it that is really a menu driven headache.

And then E-mu released Proteus VX for free a couple of years ago-which I actually quite like and allows me to ditch the dongle of the 1212M of an old outdated computer. ON the other side of the coin is the fact that I pretty much felt like I got taken on the whole 1212M/Emulator product-package and would have been so much better off with just the free Proteus VX in the first place. The good news is that at least I can load up the sound banks that came with emulator in VX and I really prefer the black and blue color scheme of it over the teal and silver of the old system-just makes me cringe-reminds me thinking about all those past troubles.

And at least the Event Ezbus is still useable as a standalone digital mixer/hub and works with some XP machines unlike that pile-O-Mbox which I was completely screwed out of my hard-earned cash.

The great news...

Presonus Firestudio Mobile and Studio One Artist hooked up to a Gateway Core 2 Duo Tower with factory TI FIrewire 4 GB RAM, upgraderd high-end video card, power supply and a 24'' Monitor -even this upgrade came with alot of pain and headache trying to figure out what had failed-thought it was the CPU or motherboard originally but ended up being the power supply after ordering a bunch of parts I could hardly afford.

I really seem to have the worst luck with computers and recording but finally have something thats, fast, stable and easy to use with the combo listed above-for now. These 3 componets work seamlessly together-which feels like a first and are actually enjoybale to use-issue is that after so many years of abuse Im a bit sketchy and weary still. I also look at all the cool stuff I could have bought instead of these crappy soundcards and interfaces from Digi, E-Mu and Event-could have had myself a nice SE1X and or a high-end bass from Fender or Lakland, or some nicer monitors.

Love the sound and price of M-Audio BX5a Deluxes-great! small monitors and I feel like I about stole them for $200-they sound sooooo good! Great midrange detail and clarity and bass is good enough for small rooms and I love their small footprint too.

And I was given a Line 6 Toneport KB37 for free by my Dad that outperforms-smokes really all the previous 3 interfaces that just drove me nuts. I use this with my laptop as a soundcard and midi keyboard and it gets used daily and almost always works as intended and the DA sounds as good as anything Ive heard despite EMU's lofty claims and instability.
restpause
23rd July 2011
Old 23rd July 2011
restpause

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceferraudi View Post
I can actually relate to the feeling of being stressed by music composition but it was related to buggy drivers, software, gear and underperforming and underpowered computers.... from an EMU Emulator X/1212M with its high CPU and sample demands as well as buggy drivers and a confusing, congested patchmix mixer....

to an Mbox that just quit working after a half a dozen uses with some random error message saying it was unable to connect to hardware....

to an Event Ezbus that didn't ever cooperate with my XP Dell but worked about perfect with my friends XP Dell two years after I had given up on it...

to Kore Player not cooperating with my Line 6 Midi controller...

or Sonar's semi-frequent instability-liked the GUI and the program otherwise but would crash a few times a week and just shut off and need restarting. It was a free bundled LE version though so that didnt bother me nearly as much as having invested in a paid version that didnt work properly.

The Roland-Edirol PCR300 was buggy too and even though they had some great people at tech support I had to return it in the end bc I just couldnt get it all working properly-maybe it was partially user error or lack of understanding but I don't regret taking it back and moving on-cutting off the hassle early-too bad though bc it had a nice keybed for its price range, some great feeling knobs and I thought it was cool that it came with a crossfader too. Maybe I'll buy again with one of their more updated versions bc of the customer service and quality of the unit-maybe they ironed out the bugs over time.

I even had some MPC crashing until I called tech support and found out that I was saving things incorrectly and was screwing up the formatting of the compact flash card-but since then it has been rock solid. Had some issues with Yamahas arcaine menu system on my Motif for quite a while until a friend with one helped me out a little but haven't had any issues navigating it for quite a while now and actually works really well when midi syncd with the MPC. I occasionally learn something new about the Motifs features but theres still so much about it that is really a menu driven headache.

And then E-mu released Proteus VX for free a couple of years ago-which I actually quite like and allows me to ditch the dongle of the 1212M of an old outdated computer. ON the other side of the coin is the fact that I pretty much felt like I got taken on the whole 1212M/Emulator product-package and would have been so much better off with just the free Proteus VX in the first place. The good news is that at least I can load up the sound banks that came with emulator in VX and I really prefer the black and blue color scheme of it over the teal and silver of the old system-just makes me cringe-reminds me thinking about all those past troubles.

And at least the Event Ezbus is still useable as a standalone digital mixer/hub and works with some XP machines unlike that pile-O-Mbox which I was completely screwed out of my hard-earned cash.

The great news...

Presonus Firestudio Mobile and Studio One Artist hooked up to a Gateway Core 2 Duo Tower with factory TI FIrewire 4 GB RAM, upgraderd high-end video card, power supply and a 24'' Monitor -even this upgrade came with alot of pain and headache trying to figure out what had failed-thought it was the CPU or motherboard originally but ended up being the power supply after ordering a bunch of parts I could hardly afford.

I really seem to have the worst luck with computers and recording but finally have something thats, fast, stable and easy to use with the combo listed above-for now. These 3 componets work seamlessly together-which feels like a first and are actually enjoybale to use-issue is that after so many years of abuse Im a bit sketchy and weary still. I also look at all the cool stuff I could have bought instead of these crappy soundcards and interfaces from Digi, E-Mu and Event-could have had myself a nice SE1X and or a high-end bass from Fender or Lakland, or some nicer monitors.

Love the sound and price of M-Audio BX5a Deluxes-great! small monitors and I feel like I about stole them for $200-they sound sooooo good! Great midrange detail and clarity and bass is good enough for small rooms and I love their small footprint too.

And I was given a Line 6 Toneport KB37 for free by my Dad that outperforms-smokes really all the previous 3 interfaces that just drove me nuts. I use this with my laptop as a soundcard and midi keyboard and it gets used daily and almost always works as intended and the DA sounds as good as anything Ive heard despite EMU's lofty claims and instability.

Interesting experiences.

I feel for ya.

Actually, about MOTO BPM... I found out recently that the MIDI / Soundcard settings are buggy... it doesn't matter which setting you choose, it's still glitchy. But it seems like if you set it to 96 kHz and then set it back down to 44.1kHz or 48 kHz, then it's ok. It seems to take some manipulation of settings to "jostle" it into working position.

I still don't use BPM as a VSTi though. I'm not a masochist.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search