Toft ATB Thread Appreciation Thread
New Reply
Subscribe
David Herbert
31st January 2006
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Toft ATB Thread Appreciation Thread

I just wanted to say, outside of the continuity of the currently 26 page "New Toft Board Coming" thread, that I have greatly enjoyed it over the months it has been around. The most recent drama, where one poster started asking (in a manner that seemed odd to more than one person) about changing out the opamps in a board that no one has even heard yet, then another poster accused poster 1 of being somebody else in disguise, is my favorite part. I would have posted this in the original thread but I don't want to diffuse the momentum. This thread will allow us fans of the original thread to discuss and examine it.
David
31st January 2006
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Then there's the part when someone suggests wallpapering the breakroom at PMI with a printout of the thread.
31st January 2006
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert
I just wanted to say, outside of the continuity of the currently 26 page "New Toft Board Coming" thread, that I have greatly enjoyed it over the months it has been around. The most recent drama, where one poster started asking (in a manner that seemed odd to more than one person) about changing out the opamps in a board that no one has even heard yet, then another poster accused poster 1 of being somebody else in disguise, is my favorite part. I would have posted this in the original thread but I don't want to diffuse the momentum. This thread will allow us fans of the original thread to discuss and examine it.
David

let the person inquire about the freeekin opamps.

its an insult to even attempt to guage someone's knowledge on the internet.
not only to them, but to yourself.
we live in an age where learning about new subjects is accelerated 100x vs. old methods of learning and its all thanks to the internet.
someone who knows nothing about op amps one day can learn what they need to know in order to ask an intelligent question in less time than you think.

so please, for the love of the signal to noise ratio at GS.
drop it.

thank you.
31st January 2006
Old 31st January 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe
Then there's the part when someone suggests wallpapering the breakroom at PMI with a printout of the thread.

In fact, we've begun redecorating here in exactly this way. The break room is done, as is the hallway. We're getting started now on the warehouse. And of course, we've saved some very special posts for.... you guessed it.... the head!
Gardena, CA
email: reid@pmiaudio.com
David Herbert
1st February 2006
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

From AdamJay:
Quote:
let the person inquire about the freeekin opamps.

its an insult to even attempt to guage someone's knowledge on the internet.
not only to them, but to yourself.
we live in an age where learning about new subjects is accelerated 100x vs. old methods of learning and its all thanks to the internet.
someone who knows nothing about op amps one day can learn what they need to know in order to ask an intelligent question in less time than you think.

so please, for the love of the signal to noise ratio at GS.
drop it.

thank you.
I don't have a problem with people asking about trading out opamps. In fact it led to some interesting and informative discussion. I think some people saw it as being a subtle dig on the build quality to ask:

Quote:
Earlier in the thread I was reading your post where you stated that the line inputs on the Toft ATB use the OPAMP known as the TL072.

This OPAMP is known to be of an inferior quality when compared to others made by Burr Brown and Audio Designs.

I was just wondering if the power supply is strong enough to handle Burr Brown OPA134/2134 or others on the line amps?

I would swap the TL072's for equivalent Burr Browns or Audio Design opamps and that would greatly improve the sound of this board IMO.

Also, what opamps are used for:

Summing Amps
Faders
Mic Amps
Aux Sends/Returns
(from Jackielynn).

There was a little war going about whether or not Jackielynn had her account hacked and some nefarious person was using her name to stoke the fires. It was the magical kind of thing that can only happen on the internet.

Glad to hear about the redecorating at PMI, Reid!

David
David Herbert
3rd February 2006
Old 3rd February 2006
Lives for gear

Huh. People are posting calm, normal relies on the Toft thread. No justice...
David
David Herbert
10th February 2006
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

NEWSFLASH!! Something strang about Jackielynn. She has been using some famous actress that I've never heard of's head for her atavar. She had even claimed publicly that it was her in the picture! T.ATB.T.A.T. (Toft ATB Thread Appreciation Thread) Insider is confused. Is Jackielynn shy? Is she real at all, or merely the product of some fiend's imagination? If she is just shy, why not admit she is just using the famous actress I've never heard of's head as an atavar for privacy? If she is a construct, where's the other shoe dropping- you know, the part where Member X posts and says "hahaha dummies, it was me the whole time!"?
T.ATB.T.A.T. Insider will post the latest as soon as the latest becomes the latest!

-T.ATB.T.A.T. Insider.
10th February 2006
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to copperx
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert
She has been using some famous actress that I've never heard of's head for her atavar.

Jackelynn, I urge you to visit this website ASAP. And never, ever forget to lock your doors.

"Do everything else right, and the equipment will disappear in insignificance." - Steve Albini

"Photographers — idiots, of which there are so many — say, “Oh, if only I had a Nikon or a Leica, I could make great photographs.” That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. - Andreas Feininger
David Herbert
10th February 2006
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

I am really leaning to the idea that Jackielynn is not a real person at all, just part of a practical joke by someone who has yet to reveal themself. Why not be more anonymous by using a fake, non-gender specific moniker and atavar?
In other news, I, after all these years, just figured out that Alan Hyatt's atavar is a squirrel drinking beer. Funny!

-T.ATB.T.A.T. Insider.
10th February 2006
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

It's Walters in disguise.
10th February 2006
Old 10th February 2006
Lives for gear

Can't you guys see?!

Its simple.

Think about it.

It's been right under our noses all along.

Jacklynn is.........................................

David Herbert!!!

bump...bump...bummmmmm!
David Herbert
11th February 2006
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

If it were only true.
Damn, you made me laugh pretty good though!
Jackielynn is back again asking about electric guitars.
-T.ATB.T.A.T. Insider.
11th February 2006
Old 11th February 2006
Gear maniac

You guys are the weirdos!

Just because a girl knows more than you about audio cicuitry you puff out your chest like some cocky cockatoo and prance around here in disguise yourself and start clamouring about how she can't be real. You don't have to have a penis to be an audio engineer. Get over yourself fellas! Women are smart and can lean things about audio too. I do not think the face in the avatar is the "not famous actress but famous actress" whatever the hell that means , that you are beleiveing it is. The picture looks like it was taken on a home digital camera, not a promo shot of some "famous but not famous" person. That kind of stuff sounds questionable to me and seems the talk of a bunch of guys who are legends in their own minds. I would welcome women to the board here. Your kind of gossip, chatter, politics, whatever you want to call it is what will keep the women away from gearslutz and that will be a shame.
12th February 2006
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit
You guys are the weirdos!

Just because a girl knows more than you about audio cicuitry you puff out your chest like some cocky cockatoo and prance around here in disguise yourself and start clamouring about how she can't be real. You don't have to have a penis to be an audio engineer. Get over yourself fellas! Women are smart and can lean things about audio too. I do not think the face in the avatar is the "not famous actress but famous actress" whatever the hell that means , that you are beleiveing it is. The picture looks like it was taken on a home digital camera, not a promo shot of some "famous but not famous" person. That kind of stuff sounds questionable to me and seems the talk of a bunch of guys who are legends in their own minds. I would welcome women to the board here. Your kind of gossip, chatter, politics, whatever you want to call it is what will keep the women away from gearslutz and that will be a shame.

Wow!

Well, I for one, never intended my comments to be degrading to Jacklynn, or anyone for that matter, in any way. I thought this thread was created to poke some fun at another thread, not any one individual. I also believe that my last post was interpreted as it was intended, as a joke, by most.

Settle down and quit pointing fingers.
David Herbert
12th February 2006
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

There is nothing in this thread that is demeaning to women in any way. I would report any thread to the moderators that I felt was demeaning. Echo Unit just doesn't get it. David
David Herbert
7th March 2006
Old 7th March 2006
Lives for gear

EXTRA! EXTRA!
Toft ATB Appreciation Thread Insider Special Report!
T.ATB.A.T. Insider thought that the ATB thread had finally breathed it's last, no new posts for about two weeks, off the front page in the forum, then...
BOOM: Echo Unit (the guy who had been negative on Toft/pro Oram since page 15) throws up along post that slurs not only Toft but the rest of the PMI line (post 794). He says retailers are steering people away from the PMI stuff. And it's off to the races! Other folks chime in tho defend Toft/PMI. Then...
Jackie Lynn, everyone's favorite red-shirted audio addict, posts a slam on PMI that mentions Boston area retailers that are steering customers away from PMI (post 810). She questions the existence of the Toft pilot program. Then...
After a few posts defending PMI, in post 814 sharp-eyed Synth80 points out that ECHO UNIT AND JACKIE LYNN HAVE THE SAME WRITING STYLE AND OPINIONS! Zowie! What a bombshell! Neither Echo Unit or Jackie Lynn step in to dispute the accusation. T.ATB.A.T. Insider has long been suspicious of Jackie Lynn but never suspected the truth! Folks, this makes the Toft ATB Thread the greatest ever! Can you dig it?
BTW notice in this thread that Echo Unit comes to Jackie Lynn's defence.
-T.ATB.A.T. Insider.
7th March 2006
Old 7th March 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Synth80s
Keep bringing the heat, fellow soldiers of truth.

-Synth80s
David Herbert
7th March 2006
Old 7th March 2006
Lives for gear

Ladies and gentlemen (if there ARE any actual ladies here), Toft ATB Appreciation Thread's star reporter... Synth80!
Three big cheers!
-T.ATB.A.T. Insider.
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
Gear nut

Very sweet of you to have written so much about me.

Just because a girl agrees with someone else on the gearslutz page who isn't afraid to tell it like it is you create a soap opera out of it.

I agree with Echo and others who have found that PMI makes products that need some better feedback from realworld customers, not anonymous people posting on an internet forum. Get off your computer and go see what people using this stuff everyday think of it and how retailers feel about the products. Bang for the buck is right but there are some tradeoffs.

The only thing Echo Unit and I have in common is that we both seperate our thougths into seperate lines when we write which many people do. We also like ambient music productions and gear commonly known to be used in this area of music as many others do as well. Perhaps Echo and I are educated in the the english language and use proper sentence structure and grammar and that offends you?

Get a grip and get back to your studio!
David Herbert
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

So Jackie Lynn, tell us, how DO you use the Royer and the Portico in the context of music therapy?
-T.ATB.A.T. Insider.
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Synth80s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklynn
I agree with Echo and others who have found that PMI makes products that need some better feedback from realworld customers, not anonymous people posting on an internet forum. Get off your computer and go see what people using this stuff everyday think of it and how retailers feel about the products.
I couldn't agree more. Since you're the anonymous poster who has made strongly negative claims about what an unnamed Boston pro audio dealer, it's employees and customers think about PMI gear, you can help us clear up the confusion. Since I'm interested in the Toft console, I would like to contact the dealer and get some real world opinions from them and hear their experiences with PMI gear first hand. I'm sure PMI would as well.

So, what's the name of the dealer? Are you going to back up your words or are you comfortable being outed as a tremedous hypocrit? Are you interested in helping fellow GS members seek the truth here or have we outed you as an incredulous fraud with an agenda?

You all know what I think.

-Synth80s
GPl
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
GPl
Lives for gear

and so the saga continues. Is Echo Unit really Jacklynn? Does the Portico and Royer really make a good "Pair"? Do people really go through this much trouble to get at a ........well, ya know what I mean

Too funny

"Two degrees in bebop, a PHD in swing, he's the master of rhythm, he's a rock and roll king" -Lowell George-

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates"
David Herbert
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

I just realized I have been calling Jacklynn "Jackie Lynn". My bad, honest mistake. No insult intended.
David
David Herbert
5th April 2006
Old 5th April 2006
Lives for gear

5th April 2006
Old 5th April 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry for being out of line, and an idiot, but is this PMI that people are spewing about Pacific Microsonics? Surely its not?

Just curious

David Herbert
5th April 2006
Old 5th April 2006
Lives for gear

The PMI in question is the one that has Toft, Studio Projects, and Joe Meek under their umbrella.
-Insider.
5th April 2006
Old 5th April 2006
Lives for gear

thanks
6th April 2006
Old 6th April 2006
Lives for gear

I kissed my DDA because she is not a drama queen!
David Herbert
2nd May 2006
Old 2nd May 2006
Lives for gear

The thread is active again, went past 1000 posts. Of note there is a picture at the top of page 34 that is going to be my new desktop. It's a haeartwarming picture of a dolphin and a dog kissing. Jacklynn asked a question about crosstalk and Synth80 gave a hilarious reply.
David
2nd May 2006
Old 2nd May 2006
Harmless Wacko

It will NEVER match the sheer hilarity/insanity of the "AC power cable" thread.

SM.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search