Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

Philosophy

I was just wondering if any of you had any interesting pearls of wisdom to offer up on the way you approach your work/life

i'll kick things off by giving one that i'm ashamed to say i only stumbled upon recently:

it's that i've realized that you can always learn something from anyone..........we have alot of 20 year old trainees here at the studio who, to be honest, really don't know jack-shit...but it's funny......you can always learn something from them.......how they listen, how they tweak an eq.....anything.......maybe it's only something that'll make you think about something in a different way.......

..............and that led me to a-thinking..........when talking to someone, it's always possible to learn something...if you're looking.......but if you're only trying to impress on them how much you know, you won't learn diddly!

...........and no, i haven't been smoking the wacky-backy

anyone else?
Old 13th June 2003
Gear addict

The HH was invented by the Devil.
Old 13th June 2003
Lives for gear

If I was a Jedi, I'd be one of the toddlers in the blast helmet, swinging blindly at the remote while Yoda looks on in bored, detached disgust. From there it just gets better.
Old 16th June 2003
Gear addict

jazzius

This thread is a good reminder. It's easy to get too into "the gig" of it, and lose sight of something bigger. There are two things that serve as guideposts for me, both in music and in life:

1) No experience in life, especially in music, is ever wasted if it's engaged passionately and intently. There is always something to learn, to relearn, to teach, to challenge, and to enjoy. (born out of a lot of hours spent learning useless insturments, like bassoon)

2) This one comes out of my spiritual life, but I believe that the created world honors the creator, and that the creator is both revealed and honored by form and beauty in the created world. Music is certainly both form and beauty, when it's done well. It doesn't matter if it's an Anteres Angel pop project, or a Silver Lake hipster doing spoken word; when music is well played, well produced, well crafted, there is a beauty to it that I think is transcendant to our physical world.

That's that. Now back to editing this fist-o-poo guitar part into a passable track.

-sm
Old 16th June 2003
Mindreader

'fist-o-poo'

lol

(thread collapses from lofty height)
Old 21st June 2003
I heard John Hardy say this at the TapeOpCon a few weeks ago and I think it's my new favorite:

"If you can't find the time to do it right, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?"

He was referring to building mic pres but I think it can be universally applied to all things, especially bands wanting to make a record.

Jazzius, you are totally right. Anyone can learn somthing from another person if they are open minded enough to receive it. I learned this lesson playing guitar. I've played for over 15 years and was in a band with a girl who had been playing for maybe a year. She taught me a lot about music just because she had a fresh and different way of looking at it.

Shawn
Old 21st June 2003
Lives for gear

what's "the HH"?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search