Monitor Setup - 1 Sub, 2 Pairs of Monitors, X-Over, Volume Knob
noizelab
24th October 2006
Old 24th October 2006
Gear Head

Monitor Setup - 1 Sub, 2 Pairs of Monitors, X-Over, Volume Knob

I'm trying to figure out the best solution for this for some weeks now.

I'm currently using a pair of Tannoy System 800A and a pair of Yamaha MSP5 with Yamaha SW10 Sub.
I would like to switch between the MSP5s and the 800As with both connected to the sub.
Big mistake on the SW10: it has no high pass outs, so no crossover in it, just a tweakable lpf.

So I thought the best solution (besides buying an extra sub for the tannoys) would be:

DAW -> VolumePot -> X-Over -> AlternatingSwitch => MSP5s/800As
..................................... '-> Sub

Do you think this would work?

Anything I should be aware of when buying a x-over?
Someone recommended a b..ringer product, but I don't want it to degrade the signal in any way, so I'm not that sure about it ...

Is there any potential degrading by putting the volume control before the x-over?

Thanks very much in advance!
24th October 2006
Old 24th October 2006
Gear Guru

You got it right.

-tINY

noizelab
25th October 2006
Old 25th October 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

You got it right.

Thanks, I think your answer is regarding the basic setup, right?

But I'm still worried about putting the volume control before the x-over.
If I would use something like this (for example):
CX3400
CX2310

These are active x-overs, and (I guess) there are op-amps inside, which (in my imagination) could cause problems with the volume control providing too little or too much input gain.
Wouldn't it be better to have a passive x-over solution?
If so, are there any recommendations?
I honestly don't know about x-overs... so sorry for my lack of know how

Thanks again!

Last edited by noizelab; 25th October 2006 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: forgot some words ... you don't get younger ...
25th October 2006
Old 25th October 2006
Gear Guru

The active cross-overs will work fine. The level going in will determine the level coming out. The gain is the same, no matter what input you give it.

I would set the gain on the active speakers down to the loudest you want to listen to it with the volume pot all the way up, this will reduce noise a bit. You will need to balance the two mains so that they are the same loudness.

-tINY

25th October 2006
Old 25th October 2006
Lives for gear
Your signal flow is correct, but if I were you, I would just Y the signal before the crossover. So basically, the crossover will just act as a low pass filter for the sub, and nothing will be connected to the high outputs of the X-over. This way, your naturally low-end deprived monitors will maintain their natural rolloff leaving you with the ability to rely less on the sub.

That is what I do, at least. I thought my monitors sounded really thin without anything below 80-90 hz in there, even if they are pretty weak to begin with. The natural rolloff leading into a tastefully gained sub is the shit

If your sub already has an LPF in it, I suppose you could use that. But my sub only has a mono line input, and my crossover does the mono summing for the sub, so I keep it basically for that purpose.
noizelab
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Gear Head

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

I would set the gain on the active speakers down to the loudest you want to listen to it with the volume pot all the way up, this will reduce noise a bit.
Unfortunately the 800As don't have any volume control, but I'll get them matched anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
Your signal flow is correct, but if I were you, I would just Y the signal before the crossover. So basically, the crossover will just act as a low pass filter for the sub, and nothing will be connected to the high outputs of the X-over. This way, your naturally low-end deprived monitors will maintain their natural rolloff leaving you with the ability to rely less on the sub.
Sounds cool, but the 2 pairs of monitors are completely different rolloffs, so this won't work.

Thanks again, guys. I think I'll get it done thanks to your help.

Cheers,
Michael
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noizelab View Post
Sounds cool, but the 2 pairs of monitors are completely different rolloffs, so this won't work.

Yes, they will be different, but I think you will still find this method preferable. I have 2 sets of monitors (mid and near field) that share a sub, and I have them both hooked up this way. You have 2 sets of monitors because they sound different, so why would this be a big deal because it would sound different?

Oh well, whatever works for you.
noizelab
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
Yes, they will be different, but I think you will still find this method preferable. I have 2 sets of monitors (mid and near field) that share a sub, and I have them both hooked up this way. You have 2 sets of monitors because they sound different, so why would this be a big deal because it would sound different?

Oh well, whatever works for you.
Well, if I tweak the LPF to match the bigger monitors, there will be a "hole" in the lower frequencies using the smaller monitors with the sub.

And if I tweak the LPF to match the smaller monitors, there will be additioned lower frequencies when using the bigger monitors, because their rolloff will be lower than the LPF on the sub.

But maybe I'm missing something.
As you can see, English isn't my native language, so maybe I got something wrong. (<- By the way, I love that one! It always expresses exactly how I feel ... it's "the magic smiley")
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Lives for gear
Your reasoning is correct, but in reality it's not a big a deal as it may seem. I think you'll find a bigger "hole" in the sound when you high pass both sets of monitors, and all of your low end is coming from the sub, and none from the same location as the rest of the frequency spectrum.

But hey, this is what works for me. Whatever you feel works for you, I can't argue with!
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Gear Guru

Use the active cross-over HPF to feed the mains.

-tINY

noizelab
29th October 2006
Old 29th October 2006
Gear Head

tiny, that's what I was initially thinking...

Thanks a lot for helping, guys!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search