Ebtech Hum X -- not safe???
New Reply
Subscribe
85db
24th October 2006
Old 24th October 2006
Gear Head

Ebtech Hum X -- not safe???

I was told by a rep of a well-known rack power company that Hum X type of devices actually contaminate ground and can cause damage to Digital IC's. This means that an effects processor placed near the Hum X can get fried.

I'm not an engineer and can't make anything out of this. But as a consumer, this worries me since I'm using Hum X extensively in my rack. I searched the Web and found no complaints about Ebtech Hum X damaging any gear.

Hum X is a very unique product in that there's no cheap substitutes for it. It would be great to hear a few educated opinions on the subject.
85db
9th November 2006
Old 9th November 2006
Gear Head

bump
9th November 2006
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

9th November 2006
Old 9th November 2006
Gear addict

Medical devices in hospitals are often completely isolated from the service power. They use a 1:1 transformer to create an isolated circuit, and everything is completely lifted from ground. To avoid the hidden hazard of a ground fault, they use a thing called a "line isolation monitor", which will alarm if any part of the circuit comes into contact with ground. That might be a possible solution. However, for a studio environment, I think it would be less trouble to fix ground loops by just getting everything onto the same circuit. Or fixing whatever is wrong with the ground wiring.
9th November 2006
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

quick fixes are not good fixes... however wouldnt be a bd thing to have around for the occasional use(need of an adapter is inversly proportional to its availability)... suspect the rep was busy well reppping... better by far to find out what the real problem is if it's a "permanent install"
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search