Old RCA Tube Console Help
New Reply
Subscribe
billy
17th September 2006
Old 17th September 2006
Lives for gear

Old RCA Tube Console Help

So I've got this amazing old RCA BC-6B broadcast console sitting here, it needs some love. I'm going to need some parts for it, maybe someone to help rewire it if I get in over my head.

I'm going to replace as many parts as I can find, replace the caps with NOS ones if I can find them, retube, etc. I'm going to start with the front panel and go from there.

I need about 9 large bakelite pointer knobs and a couple Simpson VU meters and some big ass 100k pots. I've been looking all over the net and cant seem to find those meters anywhere. Anyone have a source for stuff like that? Also if anyone has a schematic for this thing or any of the other RCA consolettes I'm happy to buy them.

I think I can find and replace most of the stuff I need to by myself, but if anyone is really familiar with these things and wants a job let's talk.
17th September 2006
Old 17th September 2006
Lives for gear

Billy,

How about inserting a photo of your unit and if available a pic of the original.

...I need about 9 large bakelite pointer knobs...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I looked for these knobs for about 2 years to replace knobs on an old Binson unit. This place is the only one that had the exact original style. It was fairly common in 'the day'.
http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/prod...roducts_id=234

...I've been looking all over the net and cant seem to find those meters anywhere...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If no luck, the originals can probably be rewound and rejeweled. Have you googled "vintage (electronics)(radios)(parts)(RCA)(Simpson)"? If I were desperate, I'd contact the heads of tech at every major TV / Radio station in the area. The all have web-sites now. A lot of times the old school guys do this sort of thing as a hobby. You might get lucky.

Best, Paul
11th October 2006
Old 11th October 2006
Gear interested

Don't!!! use NOS caps. Use new ones. Caps don't last forever and they dry out and die- even if they are on the shelf. Use quality electrolitic or oil caps. I have this same mixer and recently rebuilt the preamp cards myself and had the powersupply rebuilt by a pro. It cost $$$ but this thing has the sickest mic pre's. Destroys all my other vintage tube and fancy class A mic pre's. I still am trying to work out the kinks with a low level hum that goes away when I touch the ground buss. you can see schematics to a similar mixer (same amp cards and power supply) at http://binauralaboratories.net/lab/c...ual/manual.htm
billy
12th October 2006
Old 12th October 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks so much for that link, that really helps. I have no doubt that this will sound great, the guy I got it from wanted to rip out everything but the pres, but it is such a cool little console just the way it is, I want to keep it intact. Did you put direct outs on the pres or anything?
30th August 2007
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

Simpson Meters available

I have the meters if you still need them, stereo in good condition!
1st September 2007
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I've seen the whole manual as a PDF online somewhere. You need to start with making it work first, and worry about the front panel last. For instance, have you checked to see that all the transformers are good first? If not, you're screwed. The pots just need to be cleaned probably. New ones like the originals will cost you $300+ apiece. Really.

Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73
10th December 2007
Old 10th December 2007
Gear interested

I am looking into getting one of these RCA BC-6B Consoles. Did anyone ever dig up a specific PDF for this? Looking at the BC-3C files it looks like the pre- amp cards each have enough gain for direct outs without modifying anything drastically. I'm sure this is the first thought of everyone looking at acquiring one of these behemoths. Who's done this?

Looking at the parent of this topic more closely I may be looking at your console. How many of these guys are out there? Small world.
10th December 2007
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

Lots of these out there; made them for at least 12 years. Longer than any other RCA tube type console. Put the point between the preamp output and the input to the buss on a normalled patchbay and you have direct out and line in return from tape in one swoop.
11th December 2007
Old 11th December 2007
Gear nut

12th December 2007
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Weren't those knob on the Peavy 900? What a beast that was!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search