Subscribe
Bobby Summerfield
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Head

NEVE VR , HEAT REDUCTION RETROFIT, v1

NEVE VR , HEAT REDUCTION RETROFIT, v1

Feb 13 2013

This is just the beginning, I am starting the prep. for the retrofit ducting to be molded. i have emailed Neve to see if they would be interested in it, but have not heard back. So i may just make a retrofit kit and sell them as 12 channel bucket mods. Depending on the demand. it will also work on other large format HOT consoles. . although I dont know enough about the newer 88R, if anyone has input on other hot consoles let me know please.

Pictures show a test to see how much heat is extracted and temperature drop achieved in 10 minutes.

The room has No AC running, so its HOT.

1-The first picture has the Retrofit kit is installed, but turned off and air flow blocked, as the original Neve VR design is.

2-The Second picture is taken 10 minutes later with the retrofit open & running full.

as you can see the heat drops 20.7 F really quickly- I can hear the caps cheering for joy :-))

Cheers Bobby Summerfield.

Bobby SUMMERFIELD's heat reduction retrofit for large analo - YouTube

Neve VR heat reduction retrofit - YouTube
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to tekis
Badly needed by all these desks! Tell Neve. Good luck.
Bobby Summerfield
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Head

Further Still Picture tests

OK this is getting bit too technical for FB, so I will migrate to gearslutz, here is the scoop:
this is a test to see how much heat is extracted and temperature drop achieved in 10 minutes.

The room has No AC running, so its HOT.

1-The first picture has the Retrofit kit is installed, but turned off and air flow blocked, as the original Neve VR design is.

2-The Second picture is taken 10 minutes later with the retrofit open & running full.

as you can see the heat drops 20.7 F really quickly- I can hear the caps cheering for joy :-))

Cheers
Bobby Summerfield
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Gear interested

Hey Bobby,
i am very interested in your project and applaud your efforts. when do you think you will have this ready as i would love to purchase your kit to fit a VRP48. please email me with the particulars and
many thanks in advance
brian harrison
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Electron shuffler

There are two studios I work at that need this... keep us updated Bobby!
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear interested

Im intrested to.

Pm me.

/Eric
Bobby Summerfield
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear Head

Hi Guys , Thank You for your support and interest , re the heat Mod.

here is my email :
bs1@summerfieldmusic.com

feel free to contact me, about the heat reduction mod.

I am waiting for molding of the ducts, which is proven to be a bit of a pain, and will be about 2 weeks wait . . . but the rest of the mod is proving to be MUCH better than I had hoped. I will keep you updated.

Cheers
Bobby
Bobby Summerfield
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear Head

A quick up date on my heat retrofit mod for Neve Vs:
it is coming out much better than I had hoped.
I can get the temperature of a Really hot bucket of 12 channels down from 120. 7 F
down to 5 degrees F above room temperature.

i did all tests with my A/C Off, which made the room really hot, but i wanted to bake this thing. Will post more videos & pictures.
Cheers Bobby

bs1@summerfieldmusic.com
Attached Thumbnails
NEVE VR , HEAT REDUCTION RETROFIT, v1-neve-cool-ice.jpg  
Bobby Summerfield
9th March 2013
Old 9th March 2013
Gear Head

Bobby Summerfield
10th March 2013
Old 10th March 2013
Gear Head

"THE MIX SHOULD BE HOT, NOT THE MIXER"
here is the latest update . .

I am a studio owner and NOT in the studio repair business, but want to show my heat reduction retrofit for Neve V series. This video shows a "very shaky" video of my prototype on my Neve VR, a better video is coming . . .

This heat reduction modification retrofit on my on a VR reduces the operating temperature of the channels by more than 20 degrees F. It does not change the cosmetic look of the console, it uses a ducting system that fits into each 12 channel section and uses new metal parts & panels & air filters that I am making, and is SILENT!

It circulates room temperature air, with a remote fan system and filters the air going through the modules to reduce dust problems.

I have posted a few videos on youtube of the prototype stages. however those earlier videos have a loud electric motor, as I was just measuring heat reduction & air flow at that stage, so disregard them for now and watch this video. The final seen here, is QUIET using remote fan. I like to record in my control room so I need it silent.

I am considering making extra kits for anyone that may want to buy a kit for their V's or VRs The kit will be by the Bucket ( 12 channels ) . The installation is very easy, it involves taking all channels out, swapping metal work, installing filters & replacing metal panels under the faders and the back of the channel buckets. Put 2 days aside to install a 60 input console. The kits should be ready in about 12 weeks. May 2013. I would to speak to each owner and discuss each studios needs before.

The process would involve me sending you new replacement metal hardware that fits inside & under your console, a ducting system and channels & air filters. Again this will not change the look of the console. The ducting kit goes into the console buckets. you would then send back your OLD metal parts to me.

JFYI: This will work on other large format analogue consoles too, I have Neve VR so started here, others will follow, later.

If you want to know more, feel free to contact me:

bs1@summerfieldmusic.com

Cheers
Bobby Summerfield

NEVE VR HEAT REDUCTION RETROFIT WORKING 2013 - YouTube
Bobby Summerfield
18th May 2013
Old 18th May 2013
Gear Head

Hi hot Neve Vr users

Here is a quick update to the heat reduction mod progress for Neve VRs i have done.

I am on the final revision, now #5.
I have got it really cool and even better, really cheap to do! I have eliminated all the complicated internal ducting, to where the end user can do it them selves if they can do metal work, soldering and ducting.

I never wanted to make money out of this, so If it really helps, send me a bit of old gear that you dont want " working or not" as a thank you.

I will create a website to show owners how to do this retrofit as soon as i can. it will take about 14 weeks until I will post it.

Neve VR Heat reduction modification - Version 5 FINAL - YouTube

Cheers
B-)
22nd May 2013
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear addict

NEVE console heat reduction

I built a custom convection cooling system into the framing for the NEVE 80 series in Capitols Studio B. The design not only allowed for complete convection cooling across the entire length of the console, but it created a level and isolated platform for speakers. I could dig up the plans for anyone who may be interested.
Attached Thumbnails
NEVE VR , HEAT REDUCTION RETROFIT, v1-image.jpg  

Bruce Maddocks
Chief Technical Engineer
Studio Rat Services
Steam Powered Logic Mastering
Bruce@brucemaddocks.com
Bobby Summerfield
25th May 2013
Old 25th May 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Tech View Post
I built a custom convection cooling system into the framing for the NEVE 80 series in Capitols Studio B. The design not only allowed for complete convection cooling across the entire length of the console, but it created a level and isolated platform for speakers. I could dig up the plans for anyone who may be interested.
Hi Bruce,
I Like the idea of making the ducting be the Level speaker stands, I would worry about the resonance it may add to the speakers that stand on it, was that an issue?

I was in B a few weeks ago and they are redoing that console, its looking sweat, I have cut a bunch on it, it is a great console!

Thank You Cheers
B-)
25th May 2013
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

I'm just a little surprised that an 8068 needed this cooling.... Did it really run that hot?

Biggest prob with that series of consoles were sagging ISEP rails supporting the lower routing units requiring bracing with the upper rails, but cooling? That's a first for me....

Posted from my iPhone

See us on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/auroraaudio
http://www.auroraaudio.net/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may1...off-tanner.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Window-Past-Ge...8737082&sr=1-9
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com

For quicker responses, please use my email (Geoff at auroraaudio.net) in preference to pm's and visitor messages!
26th May 2013
Old 26th May 2013
Gear addict

Hey Geoff,

We expanded the consoles length and number of inputs along with some other added monitor and bussing mods. I added the convection cooling as an abundance of caution during the build. (Plus I never liked trusting any add on speaker platforms for safety reasons). Just better safe than stupid.
As for Bobby's question of resonances never noticed or got any reports of. The speaker platform (as you have seen) has a full length inset of rubber flooring material with the perrelli raised diamond pattern. The speakers sit on the raised rubber pattern and (hopefully) dont make mechanical contact with the speaker shelf itself. I think I remember also mechanicaly isolating the shelf From the frame.
P.S. bobby sorry to have hijacked your thread! Cheers!

Last edited by Time Tech; 26th May 2013 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: Added material
27th May 2013
Old 27th May 2013
Gear addict

8068 frame

Forgot to mention the framework old and new was reinforced during the build. A tip of the hat to Bob at APPOLO engraving for his quick and superb metal work on the project.
27th May 2013
Old 27th May 2013
Lives for gear

" I added the convection cooling as an abundance of caution"....

Indeed, because I have never seen this to be necessary on any 45 series Neve.
V series, the topic of this thread, would give your face a tan if you leant forward and those spoked Catherine wheel spacers around the control knobs were an acknowledgement at the time of manufacture that there was heat to dissipate but hindsight showed it wasn't enough.

But a Class AB 45 series.....?

Posted from my iPhone
27th May 2013
Old 27th May 2013
Gear addict

I guess I shouldn't mention the convection cooled outboard racks...
27th May 2013
Old 27th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess I shouldn't mention the convection cooled outboard racks...
Hi

Oh well, if Capitol have the budget for such luxuries on their console....

Posted from my iPhone
Bobby Summerfield
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

Oh well, if Capitol have the budget for such luxuries on their console....

Posted from my iPhone
BTW: Geoff, Your Stuff Looks Amazing, I am dying to buy one of your small sidecars, to satisfy my class A need. Congratulations ! Well Done Mate !
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Summerfield View Post
BTW: Geoff, Your Stuff Looks Amazing, I am dying to buy one of your small sidecars, to satisfy my class A need. Congratulations ! Well Done Mate !
Hi

Thank you!

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search