Euro PSU for UK
New Reply
Subscribe
futurethought
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Euro PSU for UK

I feel a bit stupid asking but it's the first time i've received a european plug when buying equipment & i'm not getting a straight answer from the manufacturer.

I'm based in the UK & i've received a switching 2 pin european plug with the synth i've bought. Radio Kölsch Hamburg - Kaufen Sie Universal-Schaltnetzteil bei www.radiokoelsch.de

The equipment has 12v 500mA stated on the back but the manufacturer has told me to switch the plug to 15v. Why 15v & not 12v?

I also need a Euro (2 Pin) to UK (3 Pin) Adapter. What Amp should the fuse in the adapter be? Does it matter if the power supply has short circuit & overload protection?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurethought View Post
I feel a bit stupid asking but it's the first time i've received a european plug when buying equipment & i'm not getting a straight answer from the manufacturer.

I'm based in the UK & i've received a switching 2 pin european plug with the synth i've bought. Radio Kölsch Hamburg - Kaufen Sie Universal-Schaltnetzteil bei www.radiokoelsch.de
Is THAT the actual power "wall wart" that you received with the equipment? That is a generic replacement power supply, it is almost certainly NOT the power supply that originally came with the synth. Did you buy this synth "new in the box" or was it a "customer return" or "open box" or some such alternate condition? Did you get a discount for not getting the original equipment?

Quote:
The equipment has 12v 500mA stated on the back but the manufacturer has told me to switch the plug to 15v. Why 15v & not 12v?
You are right to question that advice. It makes no sense. I would NEVER recommend doing that. It sounds like you are getting bad advice from the vendor along with questionable goods.

Quote:
I also need a Euro (2 Pin) to UK (3 Pin) Adapter. What Amp should the fuse in the adapter be? Does it matter if the power supply has short circuit & overload protection?
What are your options? Isn't there a standard for these kinds of things? When I have visited the UK and Europe, I don't remember seeing any fuses in the plug adapters.
futurethought
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks, rcowley.
Yes it's a new unit & that's the actual plug the came with the equipment. In fact the manufacturer has stuck a yellow label on the plug with the synth name on it. The manual says only to use the supplied PSU but as you point out this is a generic one, so perhaps i should just buy a UK one, but the voltage switching suggestion has me worried. FFS!!

All plugs / adapters in the UK have fuses. They generally come in 1 amp, 3 amp, 5 amp & 13 amp. Apparently...."we have 32A socket circuits in the UK. Socket cuircuits in most of the world are considerablly lower current. Our way has the advantage of needing less circuits and giving more flexibility but it requires the extra safety feature of fused plugs to keep it safe"
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

I would demand an explanation from them why their advice goes against their own labeling. This seems like really flaky business practice to me.

Supplying a generic, adjustable wall-wart supply just seems like asking for trouble with users who are not as careful as you are. This just feels sloppy to me. Why are they not supplying the appropriate power supply with their equipment?

And then stating conflicting information about using it indicates that one or more people there don't know what they are talking about, raising the issue of identifying SOMEONE there who DOES know what they are talking about.

If someone held a gun to my head, I would go with the label on the equipment vs. the advice from someone with unknown authority. And, of course, the lower voltage is always safer to try.
futurethought
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

Info has been almost non existent because of the Holiday but i hope all will be explained in the New Year. If not i'll simply get a refund. The most frustrating thing of all is not be able to play over the Holidays.

How would a lower voltage affect the instrument?

Thanks again!
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

I would feel safe trying it at 12V. I would NOT put anything over 12V into it without some explanation of the nameplate rating ("12V").
futurethought
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear maniac

An email received this morning from the manufacturer:
"Please take a power supply with 15v DC. Our technician found out that it is running 100% stable with a 15v DC"

Ok, here goes.........
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear nut

What synth is this? If it states 12V 500mA on the back, give it 12V 500mA. Of course, if the PSU sucks and doesn't deliver 12V when it says it should, that's something different. In this case get readings with a Voltmeter, send your stuff back and buy something else. ;-) In any case, under-volting will cause less harm to your equipment than over-volting!
futurethought
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear maniac

But can under volting affect how the synth sounds & performs?
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear nut

Definitely not if it's a digital one, don't know if it could affect analog synths. If there are speakers on your synth they might misbehave, but it's more likely that the whole unit just goes off should the voltage level drop below what it needs for operation.
futurethought
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear maniac

It's a small Analogue synth. I don't want to name the synth or company unless i actually have any problems when i start using it. I bought a plug adapter today & i'll test tonight. I'm sure everything will be fine but i'll report back if not. Thanks for all the advice & info.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear nut

I've never heard of a company that bundles adjustable power supplies with their products, so if the dealer and the manufacturer are two different companies, I would contact the manufacturer to see what they have to say about this. But anyway, test it, as long as the voltage, power and polarity (!!) is as stated on the label next to the inlet, everything should be fine.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear addict

I believe there to be a fair bit of misinformation in this thread. There shouldn't be a big problem with 15v into your synth - it probably has a bit of protection and regulation internal. A lower voltage may approach the "drop out" zone of such regulator.

I'd get a 15v 1A psu, power it up and be happy. If it doesn't get hot or weird you're away!

Adam Boon
Professional Audio Services
Using, Loving and Distributing: ADK, 3 Zigma, LA Audio, Line Audio Design, Triton Audio - in Australia
http://www.paservices.com/
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamboon View Post
I believe there to be a fair bit of misinformation in this thread. There shouldn't be a big problem with 15v into your synth - ...
The biggest bit of misinformation is the conflicting information from the vendor. Explain you way around the NAMEPLATE RATING of "12V" and then the recommendation of the person on the phone to use 15V.

If the device truly has an internal regulator, then it is possible that higher voltage would be tolerable (up to some unknown limit). However your casual dismissal "there shouldn't be a problem" is just an invitation to disaster. IMHO that is the biggest bit of misinformation in this thread.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamboon View Post
There shouldn't be a big problem with 15v into your synth - it probably has a bit of protection and regulation internal. A lower voltage may approach the "drop out" zone of such regulator.
But what if there isn't? I'd better be safe than sorry, especially considering that 12V seems to be the nominal voltage. If something doesn't work at the specs given I would first be wary and THEN, but only then, and then only maybe, up the voltage level.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

My experience of 'adjustable' voltage power supplies - is that they are invariably of poor quality, with switch problems often causing the voltage output to go high.

As this one can put out 24 volts - I wouldn't consider using it.

Often the polarity on this type of supply is reversible also - making equipment damage a real possibility.

The actual marked voltage output is usually miles out - so under the load presented by the synth the 15 volt output might be nearer 12 volts, but off load possibly 18 volts, due to an under sized transformer of poor regulation.

Wall warts are never a nice idea - but with a Euro to UK plug adapter, horrible!

I appreciate that it is really difficult for the inexperienced - as a power supply needs to be selected with the correct voltage output, with sufficient current being available - with the appropriate polarity - on the correct connector!

Not always easy to tell the difference between a 2.1mm and a 2.5mm coaxial type connector commonly seen on these products........

Audio Engineers Helping To Make Music!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search