New Reply
Subscribe
shmujay
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Ds-90 optical cables???

Whats Happening Folks, Happy Holidays

Quick question, I recently acquired a couple of Roland DS-90 monitors, up until now I used standard analog cables to connect to my apogee ensemble. I decided I wanted to utilize the optical option in my Rolands out from the ensemble. In the back of the ensemble there is a single output and input into the ensemble itself, is there is a splitter that will allow me to connect out of my ensemble into the speakers? and are there different types of optical cables ?

SJ
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

To drive your DS-90s from the Ensemble optical output you need to set the Ensemble [optical out] for S/PDIF (2-channel mode) and then connect a single optical fiber to the right speaker. Then connect the "THRU" digital output (RCA coax jack) to the coaxial digital input on the left speaker. Optical splitters are not used with ADAT or S/PDIF optical outputs.

Be sure to use a RCA cable designed for digital signals, not any old audio cable. Don't forget to set the side assign switches.

To connect to the Ensemble use a standard TOSLINK fiber cable.

I've never tried digital speakers on my Ensemble, but have used its optical output to drive a HHB CDR-800 and that works fine.

It may be interesting to compare your results using the Roland's built-in converters to the very good DACs in the Apogee. Have no idea about the quality of the Roland converters, but the Apogee's are quite good IMHO and I'd be surprised if you notice any improvement over the Apogee analog outputs connected with quality balanced cables..

See attached drawing:
Attached Thumbnails
Ds-90 optical cables???-roland.jpg  
21st May 2013
Old 21st May 2013
Gear interested

Can you share the video on this connection? It will be a little easier to carry out the process.
21st May 2013
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by armold View Post
Can you share the video on this connection? It will be a little easier to carry out the process.

The block diagram drawing says it all.
One TOSLINK fiber, one S/PDIF digital cable , (4) ends.
It's much simpler than a Menage a Trois which most people can manage without a video.

Step by step:

1. Connect a TOSLINK fiber to the Ensemble "Optical Out" port.

2. Connect the other end of the TOSLINK fiber to the Right speaker "Optical In"

3. Connect a RCA/RCA S/PDIF digital cable to the "Thru" Digital Out jack on the Right speaker.

4. Connect the other end of the RCA/RCA S/PDIF cable to the Left monitor "Digital In" jack.

All done.

P.S. Youtube Anonymous has a 12-step program to help break video addictions.
1 Week Ago
Old 1 Week Ago
Gear interested

I have an old pair as well. I think they sound good when using digital vs analog. The analog path they cut corners on. Even using High end converters sounds bad, then you plug in spidf and they perk right up to very usable monitors . But the spidif out just passes line level . How do I attenuate these ... Maybe buy a cheap vs 880? My sound devices just sends line level on spdif. The vs8f had a cool vocoder . Might be a cool external fx unit.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search