Tweeter stuck need to raise volume real high to release it
Old 26th December 2012
Gear interested

Tweeter stuck need to raise volume real high to release it

Hello! I am using KRK rokit 5 G2 monitor and one of them has a stuck tweeter than comes back once I raise the volume very high. This is cumbersome and wonder what type of condition could cause this? Is there anything in the circuitry that i could look at to help memwiry this? Thanks so much all for your help!
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Guru

Sounds like the voice coil is rubbing...

-tINY

Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

As tINY said, the most likely culprit is a rubbing voicecoil. It's also possible that you may have a cold solder joint or a bad coupling cap in the high-frequency amplifier.

You might try the following test:

Play a mix through a high pass filter. The Rokit G2 has a crossover frequency of 2400 Hz. Set your HP filter to 3kHz to eliminate most of the signal from the 5 inch LF driver and listen to the tweeter as you bring the level up and then down slowly. If you hear some low level sound (probably pretty distorted) and if the sound drops abruptly or becomes "buzzy" when you lower the volume slightly it's likely you have a rubbing voice coil.

However, if you hear nothing at all, and then if the tweeter begins to work well, and then continues to work well for a while after raising and then lowering the signal level, it's possible you have a HF amp issue like a cold solder joint, bad coupling cap or an internal connection issue.

If the speaker behaves like the latter situation, it may be worthwhile removing the back panel and visually inspecting the amplifier and internal connections. Be sure to unplug and disconnect the speaker completely before removing the amplifier panel.
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks so much for guiding me in the right direction I will give these a shot!!!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search