Tube preferences for an LA-2A?
che_guitarra
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Tube preferences for an LA-2A?

As a christmas present to myself i'm going to build an LA-2A from scratch. I could buy the real deal, but I won't - I love a good DIY project and any reason I can find to get busy with a soldering iron is good enough for me.

I'm still in the process of ordering/gathering parts, but don't intend to cut corners or penny pinch. With this in mind, if you have a working history with LA-2A's i'd like to know what your preferences are in regards to tube selection. NOS RCA is always a favourite (and I have a bunch of 12AX7's ready to go), but truth be told I prefer JJ's in my vintage Fender amp clones.... but guitar amps and studio gear are two different things.

If you've had a bit of tube experimentation with an LA-2A, please fill me in with your discoveries.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Hi
Only 1 of the 12AX7s and the BH7 have any direct bearing on audio quality so the remainder only have to 'work' but you will never 'hear' them as they are in the 'side chain'.
Matt S
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

The first 12ax7 in the signal chain is really important and makes a difference in sound and background noise. My favorites, since being in Europe, are old Philips, Valvo or Telefunken tubes. They are all a little bit different, I take those with the least noise and distortion, which can be any of those brands, depending on the individual tube.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear maniac

I went with the old RCA long grey plates. A little warmer midrange than the black plates.
7+1
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
7+1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassDan View Post
I went with the old RCA long grey plates. A little warmer midrange than the black plates.
I agree!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search