Need help identifying this 18" woofer
New Reply
Subscribe
D3AD.P1X3L
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear interested

Need help identifying this 18" woofer

I've had this cab for a while. Finally decided to open it and find out what the woofer was so I could read up on the specs but ALAS! Nothing really useful. There are two numbers on the magnet (5 59550) but beyond that nothing. Could anybody point me in the right direction please? Your assistance is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help identifying this 18" woofer-dsc00009.jpg   Need help identifying this 18" woofer-dsc00010.jpg   Need help identifying this 18" woofer-dsc00011.jpg   Need help identifying this 18" woofer-dsc00012.jpg   Need help identifying this 18" woofer-dsc00007.jpg  

25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

The frame and magnet look very similar to the Chinese "Technical Pro" 18 inch woofer, although the rear magnet cover is different. It's possible that your speaker has a smaller diameter voice coil judging from the dust cap. If it does have a smaller diameter voice coil, it's likely the maximum power rating is also lower.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help identifying this 18" woofer-18-inch-1.jpg   Need help identifying this 18" woofer-18inch-2.jpg  
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear Guru

It's definitely a "musical instrument" style woofer. With the aluminum dust cap and limited travel (the surround is a giveaway there), I'd say it was originally intended for a bass guitar amp or a keyboard amp.

If you want to know the Fs, Vas, etc - maybe you should look into one of these:
Dayton Audio DATS Dayton Audio Test System 390-806

-tINY

D3AD.P1X3L
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

It's definitely a "musical instrument" style woofer. With the aluminum dust cap and limited travel (the surround is a giveaway there), I'd say it was originally intended for a bass guitar amp or a keyboard amp.

If you want to know the Fs, Vas, etc - maybe you should look into one of these:
Dayton Audio DATS Dayton Audio Test System 390-806

-tINY

I've used it for multiple roles. Works great as a bass guitar cab but I have also used it as a low end sub for my PA though I am not certain that is what it's best for. I wish to determine what it is so I can sell it. I need a sub cab that is more modern and isn't so huge.

That tool looks quite handy, I might just pick one up just for my tool kit.
D3AD.P1X3L
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
The frame and magnet look very similar to the Chinese "Technical Pro" 18 inch woofer, although the rear magnet cover is different. It's possible that your speaker has a smaller diameter voice coil judging from the dust cap. If it does have a smaller diameter voice coil, it's likely the maximum power rating is also lower.
It looks similar but I think there are too many differences. Smaller, aluminum dust cap. Smaller voice coil (I estimate 2.5"-3" max), cone looks to be made of a different material and is not ribbed like that chinese woofer. And the magnet. =/

Another hint is that I've had this cab for over 15 years so it's most certainly not a modern woofer.
D3AD.P1X3L
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear interested

I powered it for the longest time with a Peavey DPC 1000. Currently powered by an Ampeg SVP 1500. DC resistance was measured at 6.7 ohms for the voice coil.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search