Open Baffle Speakers?
solveforq
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Gear nut

Open Baffle Speakers?

I was looking at DIY speaker kits online and came across this design. Has anyone had any experience with the Silver Iris line or anything like it?

Quote:
Hawthorne Audio -

Hawthorne Audio is a grassroots community of DIY audiophiles, audio artisans and lovers of music.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear interested

I have been using them for several years now. I love them. I highly recommend you look for a used set of drivers and give it a try. Radio Shack made some decent drivers that were good for a first pair and give you an idea of the sound.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

In general an open baffle or open back speaker will be challenged for LF response as the back waveform at long wavelength frequencies can cancel with the front waveform. There are some exceptions where this is acceptable or desirable like guitar amps.

I am not familiar with these products but recall the old electrostatics were dipole radiators.

JR
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

+1
And big drivers are not good for high frequencies, including small opening angle.
Open drivers also emit sound from the back, that bounces of the back wall and colours the sound.
IMHO, 1950s audiophool stuff.
Leo..
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear interested

Yes they definitely have bass issues but the midrange is wonderful. I highly recommend you get a cheap pair of drivers and try them to see if you like the sound. I built my first baffle out of diaper boxes and they intrigued me enough to build a proper baffle. Now I listen to them almost every day.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Coaxial mid-high drivers have some advantage for common point of origin, so at least those bandpasses sum together well.

You could also put a coaxial mid-hi driver into a sealed or ported box to get the benefit without the compromised LF.

Coaxial drivers are not exactly new.

JR
solveforq
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear nut

Thanks for the responses, guys. I had a gut feeling that an open baffle design didn't really have a place in the studio due to phase issues, but you know.. What if they were a great option and I was just using old dogmatic ideas? I'd be a fool. Thanks for the confirmation.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

They would only have a place in recording if some significant fraction of consumers used them for playback.

JR
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

They are an interesting option to check a mix on, and can be fun to listen to. I have several 800 ohm small speakers that will run off a headphone amp, sounding really good in their way. Making a full range array out of multiples, on a baffle board, improves the sound. Antique style tube guys will run speakers like that directly off a power tube, cap coupled rather than transformer coupled. Lots of different methods for enjoyment listening, but won't ever be first choice for serious monitoring.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search